Knowledge Base

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
DanRaisch

Re: Knowledge Base

Post by DanRaisch »

(Not sure my previous post got through.)

It is not our practice to grant new members of the forum edit access to the Knowledge Base. As I'm sure you can understand, there are too many individuals interested in taking advantage of such opportunities for us to immediately grant edit access to everyone that requests it. If you see something that should be changed/added please post the entire text for the recommended change so that a moderator can can review the proposed change and update the entry if appropriate.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Unfortunately we threw the baby out with the bathwater , we haven't added another KB editor for a very long time AFAIK. I'm going to suggest in the moderators forum that we try a less stringent policy. Its not like we have a lot of people asking for write access.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've updated the first post as follows:

The knowledge base is a wiki that is used to share answers/information, its not a way to get help on your problem (use the forums for that). In general, anybody can have a knowledge base account for the asking. Please provide a brief explanation of what you'd like to (initially) edit/create. The main reason for asking for that information is to verify that you understand the purpose of the wiki is to share information, not ask for help. We used to also require a history of contributing to this community, but as an experiment, that restriction has been removed.

I created a KB account for naxa , rjl, jorgk, and Stephen Leibowitz and sent them either a email or PM with their username/password.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
testingsomemore

Post by testingsomemore »

is this how we post or request edits to things that need to be updated?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Yes
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
HenrikR

Post by HenrikR »

The article "Importing from Pegasus" - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Pegasus - contains the link "Convert the address book using Dawn" to a website that does not exist any more. But the Dawn - Email Address Book Converter (v.5.4) can be downloaded from http://download.cnet.com/Dawn/3000-2367_4-13924.html and maybe elsewhere.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But CNET is problematic as their installers often include unrequested additional software. We won't identify CNET as a source site for anything.
HenrikR

Post by HenrikR »

HenrikR wrote:The article "Importing from Pegasus" - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Pegasus - contains the link "Convert the address book using Dawn" to a website that does not exist any more. But the Dawn - Email Address Book Converter (v.5.4) can be downloaded from http://download.cnet.com/Dawn/3000-2367_4-13924.html and maybe elsewhere.

Addition:
In order to export the 'New Mail'-folder from Pegasus with 'Mail System Converter', it's content needs to first be copied to an ordinary folder, since the 'New Mail'-folder is not a 'real' folder!
HenrikR

Post by HenrikR »

DanRaisch wrote:But CNET is problematic as their installers often include unrequested additional software. We won't identify CNET as a source site for anything.

Yes, that can often be a problem, but I had no problems like that with this particular download.
But if you can find it elsewhere - great!
2pointoboy

Edit suggestion to Firefox Shortcut to Profile article

Post by 2pointoboy »

Hi, I just signed up to suggest that an edit be made to the mozillaZine article on creating a Shortcut to a specific profile for Firefox.

The article does not include information on how to edit the Target path if more than one Firefox browser is installed.

I had the stable Firefox installed and have installed other (Developer | Nightly) versions. I needed to lauch Nightly without it opening the stable version, or vice versa when one of them was already running.

After some time spent Googling, I found that in this case, "-no-remote" has to be included in the Target path edit to make sure that the two browsers launch independently with their own profile.

Maybe someone can include this information in an edit -- if it's deemed valuable or necessary, of course : )
computingatchg.me.uk

Broken link

Post by computingatchg.me.uk »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird
Subject
Message filters and custom headers

The Mozilla message filter specification states you can create any number of custom headers and message filters. It doesn't state how many rules you can have. However, one of the source files has several error messages about a limit of 50 custom headers which one user has run into.

Link for [specification states] is broken
Friar_Bellows

Page names of KB articles

Post by Friar_Bellows »

Many KB articles start by explaining that “technical limitations” of the WikiMedia software preclude the use of a lowercase letter to start a page name when, in fact, the WikiMedia can be configured to keep the initial lowercase character. (If that option didn’t exist, the Wiktionary would be virtually unusable.) Why not configure the KB that way? For reference, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Naming_conventions_(technical_restrictions)#Lower_case_first_letter_-_Extent_of_limitation.3F
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Friar_Bellows:

I forwarded a link to your post to kerz (the admin).