Browser won't show PDF files

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
hawk-lord

Browser won't show PDF files

Post by hawk-lord »

Any PDF file shows only as a blank screen. I can't Save Page because it is greyed out.
But I can go to Page Info, Media, and save file from there.

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30

Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 11.0.09

Can't install PDF Viewer add-on, Not available for SeaMonkey 2.30.
Per Johansson
Johanssons Informationsteknik
amrad

Re: Browser won't show PDF files

Post by amrad »

Do you have Adobe Acrobat 11.x on your system? The Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 11.0.09 requires it.

Regards,

Dave.
hawk-lord

Post by hawk-lord »

amrad wrote:Do you have Adobe Acrobat 11.x on your system? The Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 11.0.09 requires it.

Yes. The line in my original post is copied from about:plugins in SeaMonkey and the plugin was installed with Adobe Reader 11.0.09.
Per Johansson
therube

Post by therube »

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
(Help | Restart with addons disabled)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
hawk-lord

Post by hawk-lord »

therube wrote:Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
(Help | Restart with addons disabled)

That is my next problem :(

If I restart, only the system menu is shown and I can't open any window. I have to quit completely and start again.
Per Johansson
hawk-lord

Post by hawk-lord »

Starting again with a clean profile, the restart problem is solved, but the PDF problem remains.
Per Johansson
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It sounds like you might have SeaMonkey set to use the built-in PDF Reader and it may be broken for some reason.

In the Preferences interface, go to Browser > Helper Applications. Is there an entry for PDF Document or Acrobat Document? What Action does it say?

Also, in Addons Manager > Plugins tab > Adobe Reader. What does is say to the right? It should say Always Activate, or Ask to Activate.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
hawk-lord

Post by hawk-lord »

Yes, it uses the Adobe Acrobat NPAPI plug-in, set to always activate. The problem is that the plugin does not work.
I was writing here to find out if it's a known bug.

Edit: Seems to be a known problem. It is blocked in Firefox since 2012. And it does not work even in 32-bit mode.
Per Johansson
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Ahhhh... I'm not sure what options are available for PDF readers on OSX. You might try going into Helper Applications and set SeaMonkey to use the built-in reader.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I'm not sure what options are available for PDF readers on OSX.

I couldn't find any PDF reader browser plugins for OS X that I would be happy with, so I use the PDF.js extension (currently I use a dev build, because the AMO version can't download certain PDFs).
Works for me in SeaMonkey (don't recall needing to modify it at all for SeaMonkey compatibility).
therube

Post by therube »

> Helper Applications and set SeaMonkey to use the built-in reader.

?
In SeaMonkey? There is no pdf.js, so no built-in reader.
Don't know offhand if PDF.js works (or if you can use the Convertor to get it to work)?

(Heh. Looks like I should have refreshed the page after having returned well after originally opening it.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript