Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: Auto Compacting Folders doesn't actually do anything

Post by tanstaafl »

Nope.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Uni1991 wrote:Just discovered 7 gigs of data on my other laptop yet only 430mb of mail in my gmail. Version 31.3 of Thunderbird I wonder if the issue will ever get fixed.

Please visit https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment ... ction=edit to download and install the attachment, then add the "expunged" column to your folder pane. For the problem folder please report the size and expunged columns.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I installed that add-on and it lists 434265 "expunged" and 16MB "size" for my inbox folder in my Fastmail IMAP account. I have 511 messages in the folder. I logged into webmail and looked at the quota settings. It reports the inbox is 15.7MB, which is consistent with the 16MB "size". However, I don't have a offline folder anymore for the inbox (due to disabling both global search/indexing and "keep messages for this account on this computer" in synchronization & storage). The "expunged" value is not effected by my compacting the folder. I have "when I delete a message" set to "just mark it deleted".

I exited Thunderbird, deleted the inbox.msf file, and restarted. The expunged column for the inbox folder is empty. It does have data for the local folders inbox. That makes me suspect the add-on relies upon data in the index file (inbox.msf) which is not reliable if you are using a IMAP account and ever changed the settings to prevent Thunderbird from writing to the "inbox." mbox file.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I added a link to that add-on in the mail utilities KB article.
Uni1991

Post by Uni1991 »

wsm wrote:
Uni1991 wrote:Just discovered 7 gigs of data on my other laptop yet only 430mb of mail in my gmail. Version 31.3 of Thunderbird I wonder if the issue will ever get fixed.

Please visit https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment ... ction=edit to download and install the attachment, then add the "expunged" column to your folder pane. For the problem folder please report the size and expunged columns.

Sinc eit effects all folders and not just one I'll chose the one which I was referring too last time. Size 2mb Expunged 10849775
Uni1991

Post by Uni1991 »

For security folder which is empty i.e no emails it's reporting 55227462. The mbox size is 53,934kb in size. This will continue to grow in size until I manually compact it.
Uni1991

Post by Uni1991 »

I guess this issue will never get fixed them. Even affects the 64 bit builds of Thunderbird as well.
Uni1991

Post by Uni1991 »

The issue is still ongoing.
Interestingly the 64bit version of fossimail works correctly and compacts folders correctly while 64 bit earlybird still has the bug.
So it works in Fossimail but doesn't in any 32 bit or 64 bit build of Thunderbird.