Post by MonsterMMO »

How to start firefox from command line as private browsing and navigate an url

I tried this but it doesn't navigate the url at the private window
It navigates at the regular firefox

firefox -private-window -url http://www.google.com
lithopsian

Re: How to start firefox from command line as private browsi

Post by lithopsian »

This is basically broken. Deliberately. The fascist developers just decided nobody should do this. See bug 856839. They even removed the preference that used to control whether external links were opened in a new window, new tab, or current tab. Now they all open in the same place that a targeted link would be forced into, which by default means a new window.

You can force external links to open in the current window (set preference browser.link.open_newwindow to 1), which may be a private window, but that will affect a lot of stuff and you might not like it.

The command line switch is almost useless. It will open a new private browsing window, but it will then ignore that window and attempt to open the URL (the -url switch is optional) in another window, which may then be targeted into an existing window or tab, but not the private one you just opened.
MonsterMMO

Post by MonsterMMO »

lithopsian wrote:This is basically broken. Deliberately. The fascist developers just decided nobody should do this. See bug 856839. They even removed the preference that used to control whether external links were opened in a new window, new tab, or current tab. Now they all open in the same place that a targeted link would be forced into, which by default means a new window.

You can force external links to open in the current window (set preference browser.link.open_newwindow to 1), which may be a private window, but that will affect a lot of stuff and you might not like it.

The command line switch is almost useless. It will open a new private browsing window, but it will then ignore that window and attempt to open the URL (the -url switch is optional) in another window, which may then be targeted into an existing window or tab, but not the private one you just opened.

thanks for the answer

so what is the solution for this ? can i somehow install older version and run it properly ?
are there such versions ?
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

The solution is that there is no solution. Not that I'm aware of anyway. I'm sure you could fix this behaviour with an addon, but I don't think one exists yet. You could try wearing down the devs, but once they've made a stupid decision they tend to dig their heels in to the point of declaring white is black rather than change their minds.
Abiologist

Post by Abiologist »

Thought I'd say that the solution now exists. But first a note to say that Private Window (with purple mask) and Automatic Private Browsing (set via preferences) are NOT the same. If you use automatic private browsing, forget to log off gmail (Mac OS) and then close a window - then everyone and anyone will be able to open a new window, click on gmail and read all your private emails ! This does not happen with the purple mask. The solution to real automatic private browsing (window) is to use addon Private Tab and set your homepage to private:http://..... If you also use Custom New Tab private:http://..... will also work. This way private windows are always automatically available.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your report but you've replied to a thread that's related to a different subject AND has been dead for more than a year.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.