can't pull up a website

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
firedog03

can't pull up a website

Post by firedog03 »

Okay...all at once I'm unable to pull up a website that is stored in my bar where I usually type in a website. I've tried everything, I've google searched and everything. It won't come up. It tells me that the url can't be found...and it brings it up in an aol hometown page thing when I do it. I'm very computer illiterate too! No one else on the website is having the problem I am. And it's not just happening in here, I've tried Internet Explorer and it won't work in there either!
Also, ever since I've had Mozilla I have a problem with pushing buttons or pulling up links on pages. It just flat out won't let me pull a lot of them up.....so then I have to go to IE and use them to look at whatever I'm trying to look at.
Please help!
Thanks!
sreeniz

Firefox 1.0.3

Post by sreeniz »

I upgraded from 1.0.1 (which was working just fine) to 1.0.3 this morning on my desktop PC. I am no longer able to access any website. An Alert window pops up 'The connection was refused when attempting to contact .......'.I have uninstalled and reinstalled 1.0.3 and still have the same problem. I am accessing my e-mail (Outlook) fine so it is not an Internet connection problem.

I am writing posting this from my laptop (which is still on Firefox 1.0.1 and working fine) which connects via a WiFi router on the same cable modem as my desktop PC.

Any suggestions or fixes?

Thanks.

Sreeni
Ria

Post by Ria »

Probably your firewall sees the new Firefox as another program than the previous version.
Ria

Post by Ria »

@ firedog03: other programs that make connection to the internet, do they work (e-mail, mediaplayer etc.)?
firedog03

Post by firedog03 »

Yeah...EVERYTHING else is working as normal, just not this website, and I use Yahoo IM to chat with some of the gals on that particular site, and they all can access it just fine! And it's doing this for both Mozilla and IE.
sreeniz

Post by sreeniz »

Ria wrote:Probably your firewall sees the new Firefox as another program than the previous version.

Ria,
Thanks a bunch. You hit the nail on the head!
I had to fiddle with the Norton Firewall settings a few times (not very intuitive!) but finally got the browser to work.

Cheers,
Sreeni
Fusion

Post by Fusion »

firedog03, nothing you've said suggests a problem with Firefox. Most likely the site is simply not available at the moment.

The smart thing to do when asking about a page that doesn't work is to provide the URL so that other people can check it out.
firedog03

Post by firedog03 »

http://members.aol.com/widowclub/index.html

This is the website that won't pull up...as I said earlier everyone else is able to pull up the site though, those that usually are on it.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Firedog, that url doesn't exist (there isn't an index.html file in the directory widowclub). The address you want is http://members.aol.com/widowclub/sahp.html. That's the homepage, you should be able to navigate from there.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy