Fastest Phoenix ever?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
akorvemaker

Fastest Phoenix ever?

Post by akorvemaker »

The release notes for 0.5 say:

"0.5 is certainly our fastest release ever. You might especially notice a boost if you have a blank page (about:blank) as your homepage (UPDATE: We're talking about startup and new window performance. If you thought we were talking about the time it takes to render a blank page, go out back and shoot yourself; you're a detriment to human society.)"

On my computer (an old P150 laptop, 80M ram), this does not seem to be the case. It takes about 34 seconds to load after a fresh boot on Win95b. This is pretty much the same (+/- 1 second) as 0.3 was.

Does anyone else notice this? Am I the only one that it did not speed up for?
kjd

Re: Fastest Phoenix ever?

Post by kjd »

akorvemaker wrote:The release notes for 0.5 say:

"0.5 is certainly our fastest release ever. You might especially notice a boost if you have a blank page (about:blank) as your homepage (UPDATE: We're talking about startup and new window performance. If you thought we were talking about the time it takes to render a blank page, go out back and shoot yourself; you're a detriment to human society.)"

On my computer (an old P150 laptop, 80M ram), this does not seem to be the case. It takes about 34 seconds to load after a fresh boot on Win95b. This is pretty much the same (+/- 1 second) as 0.3 was.

Does anyone else notice this? Am I the only one that it did not speed up for?

"Faster" applies to much more than startup time. :wink:
akorvemaker

Post by akorvemaker »

kjd wrote:"Faster" applies to much more than startup time. :wink:

True, but the notes do specifically say "We're talking about startup and new window performance."

The menus and overall program do seem more responsive, but the startup time does not seem to have changed at all.
djst

Post by djst »

I certainly notice a difference in startup speed. It's not dramatic, but it's a difference. The main issue I think is the memory usage, and since you don't have much ram, you notice this more than I do.

Anyway, the memory usage is slowly going down for each release.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

akorvemaker wrote:On my computer (an old P150 laptop, 80M ram), this does not seem to be the case.

It's possible that on such a lowend system there are other factors that make speedgains unnoticable.
Eg it could be possible that you have a really old and slow harddrive and much of the startup time is actually spent waiting to load info from the HD.
akorvemaker

Post by akorvemaker »

Stefan wrote:It's possible that on such a lowend system there are other factors that make speedgains unnoticable.
Eg it could be possible that you have a really old and slow harddrive and much of the startup time is actually spent waiting to load info from the HD.

That's quite possible. I believe I benchmarked it once, and the drive was rather slow.
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

My work computer (Athlon XP 1800+, 512 Mb RAM, some 50 GB disk) use to start up Phoenix pretty fast, but even with the short startup time since earlier, I notice a difference. So I guess if you've got the memory and no such bottlenecks, it's a pretty dramatic improvement, percentage-wise. It's not huge when calculating *seconds*, but the time taken wasn't huge to begin with either for me. ;)