all my session lost or close suddenly

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Michael REMY

all my session lost or close suddenly

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

i got a shortcute alimentation at home, then my computer shutdown.
i didn't use the C drive (which is SSD, not hard drive) when it appened.
at restard, i notice all my session (auto log in many websites) where closed. i have to relog all of them.
i check the bookmark and they still here (so it is not a crash disk on the seamonkeyu profil).

any idea what is really appen ? it is my fist time since 2005 of this bug...

shall you have a method to check the well health integrity of my seamonkey profil (in case, somthing else whould be broken )

best regards
Mike
therube

Re: all my session lost or close suddenly

Post by therube »

In addition to sessionstore.json, you may find sessionstore.bak hanging around.
If neither are any good, worthwhile, & you have no backups, you're pretty much out of luck.

(If you do find some & think they may be of value, back them up - first.)

If it were a case of not Quitting properly or something like that, & on the next open your prior session didn't restore, there is a chance that Go | Restore Previous Session may work.

> shall you have a method to check the well health integrity of my seamonkey profil (in case, somthing else whould be broken )

That's called rotating periodic backups ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Unexpected shutdowns can cause data loss... with *any* software. People happen to encounter it more with web browsers just because we happen to use web browsers more than other kinds of software these days. There's really no way to avoid it other than getting one of those battery backup units so you can properly shut down the computer after a power outtage. But those are expensive and have a limited life before you have to replace them... even if they see no power outtages.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

a long time ago (several years), i used to backup my seamonkey profil with Mozbackup, but it is not working or compatible anymore with seamonkey.
shall you advice me another free software to JUST backup-restore my seamonkey profil (bookmark, passwords,cookies, prefs...etc) ?

best regards
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Unexpected shutdowns can cause data loss... with *any* software. People happen to encounter it more with web browsers just because we happen to use web browsers more than other kinds of software these days. There's really no way to avoid it other than getting one of those battery backup units...

Not really with *any* software as there are programmatic ways to prevent data loss in case of unexpected shutdowns, for example ACID compliant database systems implement them. Of course, implementing such security measures in browsers would be overkill and would result in much more work required from the developers and also the performance would certainly suffer a bit. Still, I think software developers should at least try to minimize the most serious data corruptions in case of power loss even if it is not the main goal of an application. Many years ago - I think it was still Netscape 6/7 series and its Mozilla counterparts - there was a "bug" that power outage could result in losing all mail, quite serious stuff (maybe it was just some index files that were corrupted but the effect was the same to the end user). It is always nice if a developer thinks about it and does his/her best not to keep the application in a state that will result in a complete disaster for the user if an unexpected shutdown happens.

As to this particular case - if the profile was kept on as SSD then a possibility could be data corruption on the SSD. SSDs, especially older ones, have been more prone to corruption on power loss than traditional disks. I would scan the drive for errors in this case.

Michael REMY wrote:a long time ago (several years), i used to backup my seamonkey profil with Mozbackup, but it is not working or compatible anymore with seamonkey.
shall you advice me another free software to JUST backup-restore my seamonkey profil (bookmark, passwords,cookies, prefs...etc) ?

Why not use any backup software that you like to backup all of your profile folder? Restoring a profile from backup is very easy (a simple copy to the right location) that I don't think a specialized software like Mozbackup is necessary. I use Cobian Backup to backup all files and folders I need including my profiles.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

Why not use any backup software that you like to backup all of your profile folder? Restoring a profile from backup is very easy (a simple copy to the right location) that I don't think a specialized software like Mozbackup is necessary. I use Cobian Backup to backup all files and folders I need including my profiles.

do you mean that seamonkey profil is just a folder that i can copy-paste to perform backup and restore operation ?

i thought seamonkey profil was really inplante in many dispersed folder and registry base ? All is really in a single folder now ?

The restoration by simple copy-paste operation doesn't bring any integration problem ?
therube

Post by therube »

> do you mean that seamonkey profil is just a folder that i can copy-paste to perform backup and restore operation ?

Basically.
SeaMonkey needs to be closed.

> i thought seamonkey profil was really inplante in many dispersed folder

Basically.

Profile folder - SeaMonkey

> The restoration by simple copy-paste operation doesn't bring any integration problem ?

Generally no.

BACKUP9.EXE - File Backup Utility
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Yes, everything is stored in the profile folder so simply backing it up is all you need to do (with SM closed, of course). There's also the cache folder in a different location but there's nothing really important in it so you can ignore it. No registry entries, either!

I've been able to restore profiles with this procedure:

1. Create a new profile in SM that I want to restore data to.
2. Close SM.
3. Navigate to the profile folder of the new profile (for example C:\Users\lj\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\261sx78a.MyProfile) and delete all files in it.
4. Copy files and folders from my backup to this empty folder.
5. Start SM and enjoy!

Try it out once just to get the hang of it and you will know it's really easy.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

There's also the cache folder in a different location but there's nothing really important in it so you can ignore it.

is it contains information (cookies) from my login session of each website ?
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

No, cookies are in your profile folder. The cache folder is meant to be disposable so you'll lose nothing by losing it. It contains some files for speeding up browsing when you visit a web site next time. If the files are missing they will be downloaded from the internet again without any problem.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

hi again,
since i lost my session and cookie, i lost also my paramter in google.
before, when i search image, google displayed me a gray interface where all results can be in the same page with a little slide effect when i clic on a sample.

it was like this
http://travelinlibrarian.info/wp-conten ... esults.png

now, when i clic a sample, google image display the picture in another page, a blank one, white and i have to go back each time ...

anybody know why this ? i want so much the old interface
Last edited by smsmith on January 6th, 2015, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed image tags because the image size was breaking the forum layout - smsmith/moderator
therube

Post by therube »

WFM.

Don't know that I've known that it would do that, much less that I've ever used it before.
Did nothing more then did a search I clicked a thumbnail.

As a test, create a new, clean Profile & see if that doesn't work differently.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Michael REMY wrote:now, when i clic a sample, google image display the picture in another page, a blank one, white and i have to go back each time ...

One of two possibilities:

A: you've disabled JavaScript on Google. This breaks that feature.
B: you've installed a redirect remover that's breaking that feature.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/