any feature to choose the position of new next tab ?

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Michael REMY

any feature to choose the position of new next tab ?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi !

when you click a link and do open in tab, or select a text and do a search in google contextuel menu, then the new created tab is always at the end .
is there any option to put it just after the parent tab (where the link or selected text is) ?

thanks for help
Andy Boze

Re: any feature to choose the position of new next tab ?

Post by Andy Boze »

Edit | Preferences | Browser | Tabbed Browsing, then in the Tab Display section, check "Open related tabs after current tab".
But then again, I may be wrong.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i already this option checked and it doesn't work (win7 x64 , SM 1.10.1).
i tried middle mouse button, rightclick search,, even right click and chose open in new tab : nothing works. Always open in the last position.

then i just tried to unckeck and test.

In fact this option runs only for natural link on left mouse button. So using contextual menu or middle mouse is not useful !

bug or not ?
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

I didn't completely understand your original post. When I middle click on a link, or when I right click and open a new tab from the context menu, if I have "Open related tabs after current tab" checked, the new tab always opens immediately to the right of its parent tab. Search from the context menu, however, always opens after the last tab.

For testing purposes, create a new profile and see whether you can replicate the problem. If you can't, then it's something in your profile or an extension that's causing the problem.
But then again, I may be wrong.
justishar

Post by justishar »

Anyone ever figure this out? I need Seamonkey to put new tabs directly after the tab I have open when I create them. Putting them at the end messes up my whole system of tab organization. I know that "Open in new tab" can be configured to open to the right of the current tab but I need it to work for Ctrl + T as well.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i also discovert there is crappy javascreept which manage to create tab before the parent tab!
justishar

Post by justishar »

So is it not possible? I have been enjoying SeaMonkey but it's a dealbreaker to have my new tabs appear at the end. I usually have a fair number of tabs open and it's way too much effort to have to go find my new tab and drag it back next to the tab I was using. Quick things like "find this exchange rate and return to what I was reading" have become way more tedious.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

justishar wrote:So is it not possible? I have been enjoying SeaMonkey but it's a dealbreaker to have my new tabs appear at the end. I usually have a fair number of tabs open and it's way too much effort to have to go find my new tab and drag it back next to the tab I was using. Quick things like "find this exchange rate and return to what I was reading" have become way more tedious.

Andy already has told how to do it Image

Andy Boze wrote:Edit | Preferences | Browser | Tabbed Browsing, then in the Tab Display section, check "Open related tabs after current tab".

Cheers! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
justishar

Post by justishar »

^ That doesn't do it though. Try it yourself. Check the box and then go to a tab with a number of tabs open after it and press Ctrl + T, or highlight some text and right click > Search Google for " ", and see where the tab opens.
therube

Post by therube »

Both Ctrl+T & Search Google for... do open at the end.
That is expected. Perhaps not wanted, but that's what they do.

Have you checked to see if there is an extension to change their behavior?

Does FF work differently?

Bug 693368 - RFE: Context Menu "Search Google for", Options as to where to open & focus; New Tab, New Window, Current Window, With focus or Without
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
justishar

Post by justishar »

I found an extension for SeaMonkey that does this: Tabs Open Relative

http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc ... enrelative

Fantastic!
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

When you open new *blank* tabs, or do searches, they are not "related" to any of the existing tabs and so they are opened at the end. This is functionality inherited from Firefox and SeaMonkey does exactly what Firefox does with this setting.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

justishar, I was under the impression that that extension has exactly the same behavior as the built-in SeaMonkey setting.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
justishar

Post by justishar »

^ It doesn't! It forces the new tabs with Ctrl + T and Search Google for " " directly after the open tab... I'm loving it! :-)
patrickjdempsey

Good to know!