Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
dgrimm1

Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Post by dgrimm1 »

Lots of news on the Tab-Mix front -

HemiolaSUN, who was responsible for originally putting this extension together is no longer responsible for it. The new "owner" is logixoul.

HemiloaSUN's tabmix page, which still has solid information on the extension is: http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en

Homepage of the new extension owner logixoul is: http://tab-mix.info.tm/

Extension is mirrored at extension mirror: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2291

Current version is 0.2 changes since 0.1.6 are:
Improved user interface
Modified description
Removed redundant option
Added 2 options: focus first/last tab when closing tab
dgrimm1

Post by dgrimm1 »

Possible 0.2 issues from previous thread...

In order to move tabs to the bottom, setting in about:config must be changed from 0 to 1
New tab button can be toggled to off, but the option inside the GUI does not work.
chob

Post by chob »

dgrimm1 > what setting in about:config has to be set from 0 to 1?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

chob wrote:dgrimm1 > what setting in about:config has to be set from 0 to 1?

My bad, I did post pref in other thread:

extensions.tabmix.tabBarPosition
Default = 0 top
Change = 1 bottom (found by just playing, no hard docs found to support this)
onemen

Post by onemen »

Tabmix 0.2 is working well for me.
i allso noticed that the new New tab button for the first time after i installed v0.2 (it was off in v0.1.6). after restart firefox it's back to normal behavior. the GUI for toggle the New tab button on and off working fine.

In order to move tabs to the bottom look in Tabmix option>Appearance
Tab bar position:Top/Bottom
Last edited by onemen on April 18th, 2005, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

onemen wrote:In order to move tabs to the bottom look in Tabmix option>Appearance
Tab bar pisition:Top/Bottom

I could swear I did not see that earlier...

Sorry everyone...............
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

bump, to follow the thread on the new Tab Mix :p
logixoul

Post by logixoul »

Yes, now I'm responsible for the development of Tab Mix. I asked Hemiola if he needs help. He suggested me to take all the work. I was unsure if I would handle it well. I decided that I'm going to give it a try and see if the extension benefits of it. To avoid problems, try to deinstall previous versions before updating to 0.2. I think it solves the problems. The tab bar position can be adjusted in a very similar way to the previous version, at the same place. I'm working hard to integrate new features, I have lots of plans. Report bugs in this thread, please.
New tab button can be toggled to off, but the option inside the GUI does not work
Does it not? For me it works perfectly. It has not been modified the least bit.
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

logixoul wrote:Yes, now I'm responsible for the development of Tab Mix. I asked Hemiola if he needs help. He suggested me to take all the work. I was unsure if I would handle it well. I decided that I'm going to give it a try and see if the extension benefits of it. To avoid problems, try to deinstall previous versions before updating to 0.2. I think it solves the problems. The tab bar position can be adjusted in a very similar way to the previous version, at the same place. I'm working hard to integrate new features, I have lots of plans. Report bugs in this thread, please.

I would just make one suggestion - and since you did say you have "lots of plans" :) - that one of the attractions for me with tabmix - in the same way that I far prefer googlebar lite to the bloated googlebar - is that it is not a "heavy" extension. If you do decide to add a lot of features I would prefer - if at all possible and I know it is a request that may create a fair bit of extra work - that you see if you can perhaps keep the current feature-set frozen in a lite version, simply updating the lite to work with later versions of Firefox. I would hate this to become bloated like the latest versions of googlebar which are roughly 165 KB or so and have features in it which are far in excess of my needs.

Peter
logixoul

Post by logixoul »

Peterg2 wrote:
logixoul wrote:Yes, now I'm responsible for the development of Tab Mix. I asked Hemiola if he needs help. He suggested me to take all the work. I was unsure if I would handle it well. I decided that I'm going to give it a try and see if the extension benefits of it. To avoid problems, try to deinstall previous versions before updating to 0.2. I think it solves the problems. The tab bar position can be adjusted in a very similar way to the previous version, at the same place. I'm working hard to integrate new features, I have lots of plans. Report bugs in this thread, please.

I would just make one suggestion - and since you did say you have "lots of plans" :) - that one of the attractions for me with tabmix - in the same way that I far prefer googlebar lite to the bloated googlebar - is that it is not a "heavy" extension. If you do decide to add a lot of features I would prefer - if at all possible and I know it is a request that may create a fair bit of extra work - that you see if you can perhaps keep the current feature-set frozen in a lite version, simply updating the lite to work with later versions of Firefox. I would hate this to become bloated like the latest versions of googlebar which are roughly 165 KB or so and have features in it which are far in excess of my needs.

Peter
Almost every extension has features that not everybody uses. The question is, do they make the extension buggy, as in Tabbrowser Extensions? There is a really complex decision, what is needed in a lite version. Why exactly the current featureset? Why not 5 features less or more? For example, I personally think that the "Load homepage on the new tab" is unneccesary, but I would not remove it, because there always will be the possibility of people who like and use this feature. But, for the sake of not being too self-confident, I will release 0.1.6 with only the bug fixes and the version compatibility. This will continue the 0.1.x series and everybody that does not like the new functionality implemented will be able to continue to use the "old school" version. Do you people like this idea?

By the way, does anybody have problems with the two added options, with the tab bar position adjustment and with the "New Tab" button on the tab bar anymore?
Peterg2

Post by Peterg2 »

logixoul wrote:Almost every extension has features that not everybody uses. The question is, do they make the extension buggy, as in Tabbrowser Extensions? There is a really complex decision, what is needed in a lite version. Why exactly the current featureset? Why not 5 features less or more? For example, I personally think that the "Load homepage on the new tab" is unneccesary, but I would not remove it, because there always will be the possibility of people who like and use this feature. But, for the sake of not being too self-confident, I will release 0.1.6 with only the bug fixes and the version compatibility. This will continue the 0.1.x series and everybody that does not like the new functionality implemented will be able to continue to use the "old school" version. Do you people like this idea?

By the way, does anybody have problems with the two added options, with the tab bar position adjustment and with the "New Tab" button on the tab bar anymore?

I like your idea very much, just what I was hoping for.

With respect to your last paragraph I have no problem with either of them.

Peter
scragz

Post by scragz »

<del>I just upgraded from 0.1.? and now I have no tab bar when only one tab exists. I've been through all of the options six times and can't figure out how to get my tab bar back. Am I hallucinating, or did this option exist before?</del>

<ins>Showing the tab bar is built into the browser. See two posts down.</ins>

Edit: Another feature request I'd like to lump in with this one would be for options to specify the colors of the unread tab label and the loading bg color.

Edit 2: One more: Don't mark duplicated tabs (from "duplicate tab" click function) as unread.
Last edited by scragz on April 18th, 2005, 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

A couple of features I'd like to see in TabMix are:

1) Keep browser window in background when opening external links.

2) A scrollbar (to go with the up/down buttons) for the scrollable tab bar. This makes it easy to see roughly how many rows of tabs are present.
logixoul

Post by logixoul »

scragz wrote:I just upgraded from 0.1.? and now I have no tab bar when only one tab exists. I've been through all of the options six times and can't figure out how to get my tab bar back. Am I hallucinating, or did this option exist before?
It existed and has been removed because it exists as a core Mozilla Firefox functionality. Have a look at Tools->Options->Advanced->Hide the tab bar when only one site is open.
scragz wrote:Edit: Another feature request I'd like to lump in with this one would be for options to specify the colors of the unread tab label
I'm working at it, it's in the "Plans" section of the homepage.
scragz wrote:and the loading bg color.
This will not be added. The loading tab effect is achieved by using the standard progressmeter widget and therefore looks like all the rest of the progressmeter in Mozilla Firefox. Modifying the color of exactly this one is an user interface standards violation and is beyond the scope of Tab Mix. If you want, you can change the background color of all of the progressmeters in Mozilla Firefox by adding this to your userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

progressmeter
{
  background-color: COLOR !important;
}
where you should replace COLOR with red, green, gray, #002231, rgb(1,2,3) or any other valid CSS color expression.

Edit:Defenestration, I'll see what I can do. The second one seems easy, which doesn't apply to the first.
scragz

Post by scragz »

logixoul wrote:
scragz wrote:and the loading bg color.
This will not be added. The loading tab effect is achieved by using the standard progressmeter widget and therefore looks like all the rest of the progressmeter in Mozilla Firefox. Modifying the color of exactly this one is an user interface standards violation and is beyond the scope of Tab Mix. If you want, you can change the background color of all of the progressmeters in Mozilla Firefox by adding this to your userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

progressmeter
{
  background-color: COLOR !important;
}
where you should replace COLOR with red, green, gray, #002231, rgb(1,2,3) or any other valid CSS color expression.

This is probably due to GTK Qt engine, but other progress bars look nothing like the tab ones.