Firefox Is Slow After Playing YouTube Videos.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
encus

Firefox Is Slow After Playing YouTube Videos.

Post by encus »

Hello!

I'm using Firefox 31.0 on Windows 8 Pro 32 bit. I'm having the slow problem on Firefox after playing 3-4 YouTube videos. Does anyone experience the same problem like I do? Please fix this, Mozilla.
LIMPET235

Re: Firefox Is Slow After Playing YouTube Videos.

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
1st off, Please check the bottom box over on the RHS.
It points out that "we" are not mozilla.com/.org & cannot "fix", (as you put it), anything.

Slow after viewing videos?
No idea, but see this article.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

If you are accessing and having the issue today only.
September 10, there is a global Internet protest going on and many sites are deliberately slowing things down to show what it would be like if the ISPs can modulate access speeds.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
phaolo

Post by phaolo »

Firefox + Youtube (flash) + (maybe Adblock addon) = massive memory usage!
It's quite annoying..

Grumpus wrote:If you are accessing and having the issue today only.
September 10, there is a global Internet protest going on and many sites are deliberately slowing things down to show what it would be like if the ISPs can modulate access speeds.

That would affect the streaming speed, I'm not sure if he's referring to that.

Anyway, such protest is bul***it: an informative popup would be better and less an issue for users.
I already know about the problem, but I'm still getting the slowdown..
therube

Post by therube »

> Firefox 31.0 on Windows 8 Pro 32 bit

Odd combination 8/32, I would think.
What kind of computer is this on?
How much RAM does it have?

> massive memory usage!

How much is "massive"?

To both of you, if you used FF32 instead of 31/19, is there any change?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
phaolo

Post by phaolo »

therube wrote:> massive memory usage!
How much is "massive"?
To both of you, if you used FF32 instead of 31/19, is there any change?

Ok, actually it's massive for my ancient computer.. on modern PCs you probably won't even notice wasting resources.
Nonetheless, it still seems excessive for what I'm doing.
The RAM usage increases to 1Gb just by browsing Youtube pages and playlists! (some text with 200x3Kb small pictures!)

I'm also stuck with an old FF version because:
- it consumes a bit less memory (but more than v14)
- it still works with some nice addons (ex: PlainOldFavorites)
- it still has a customizable interface (I hate losing features just for an update!).

Maybe, without addons, Firefox would be lighter, but.. WTF I'm using this program because of them!

I don't want to risk updating FF and maybe getting a worse version #-o
(I noticed in the past that tests with the portable versions != real usage behaviour)

P.S: FF is ok enough on most of the sites (I must restart it only after many heavy tabs), but YT is really the worst case!
Last edited by phaolo on September 10th, 2014, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

In the past, I have seen plugin-container.exe/Flash taking 1GB or so itself (& so separate from the browser memory usage).

What I noticed with SeaMonkey 2.29 betas (so should be similar to FF32) was that that 1GB (or whatever) was far, far less, perhaps 100 MB. To me, it seemed that (as if) only the actual focused Flash player window was "using" memory, & other, paused, Flash player background tabs ... were not, or at least it wasn't displaying that way, or else I would be around that 1GB or so number. Where the memory "went" or how it was working out as I was seeing, haven't a clue.

Paying less attention, since the actual SeaMonkey 2.29 release, I have seen higher numbers, 640 MB or so, so less then what I would have seen in earlier browser versions, but more then what I was accustomed to with the 2.29 betas. I'd have to look further into it to get a better feel for whats going on...

Point is, maybe what I've been most recently is atypical for me, & under "normal" circumstances, overall plugin/Flash mem usage will be/is far less.

Same could apply to you, but you'd have to check that out on your end.

You can test a recent version, just use a Profile separate from any others you may have.
As far as the UI changes, well...

Oh, & don't forget that Flash itself is a moving target, being updated (changed) monthly, as it is.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
encus

Post by encus »

Okay, I've updated FF to ver. 32.0 a couple days ago, but sadly the problem is still there. Yes, I have Adblock Plus on my FF, and I have 4 GB RAM. I see that Mozilla just released ver. 32.0.1. I will give it a try. Thanks!
phaolo

Post by phaolo »

Woa, I've tried the last FF version with my same addons on a new computer and.. it seems better!
Only 300-400 Mb while browsing Youtube, plus a very small plugin container.
(well, that pc is also so fast, compared to my poor ancient single-core relic T_T)

All the addons, then, seem compatible and the UI is not unmodifiable as some say.
I think I could try to upgrade my FF19 to FF32 on Xp and pray that it will work better.
(I'll surely backup my profile first)
phaolo

Post by phaolo »

Ok, I've upgraded it. [-o<

Pros:
- for now, memory doesn't get crazy like before. Max has been 600-800 Mb so far (I'm still using MemoryFox).
- FF32 closes very fast now! The old version took like 20-60 secs in the background with a lot of memory operations.
- FF19 was quite slow, but FF32 seems overall more responsive.
- you can fix most on the new UI silly problems with the "Classic Theme Restorer" and "Classic Toolbar Buttons" addons.
- the addons page isn't sluggish anymore.
- PlainOldFavorites is still compatible, if you install the (quite-hidden) version 1.4
- the new update warned me immediately about addon incompatibilities: very good.

Cons:
- memory on Xp is already 400-600 Mb average just on the first tab, even for the simple Google page (other tabs are unloaded at start).
- startup is sloow! FF loads its first tab and then hangs on there for like 10-20 secs --> EDIT: it's "DoNotTrackMe", I've disabled it temporarly..
- I cannot add the back\forward arrows in the toolbar anymore (they were comfortable in the middle of it).
- (I can't still add Youtube comments with Firefox, since the Google+ change) --> EDIT: I had to add an exception in third party cookies for "apis.google.com"

I'm not amazed by FF32, but I can see some improvements.
Last edited by phaolo on September 20th, 2014, 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
sekular

Post by sekular »

Always keep the browser and flash up to date.

I have a script in my signature called embedtweak that changes embed videos to larger size and other features. If you realy want to test flash ram and cpu usage capabilities, install that and then go to this page http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... 43&page=19

It should hang while it loads the flash and then it will realy test your pc capability for flash :D

I had a first memory leak other day but i think that was due to my userscript as mention above. I have 8gb 2400mhz ddr3 ram so never have issues with lack of ram to be honest. Start up for me is instant. Never had a problem adding google+ comments on youtube.
phaolo

Post by phaolo »

Well, thanks, but flash already slows my system already enough lol (Xp, 1.5Gb ram, single core).
Luckly an addon lets me open YT videos in VLC, which needs only 50-80Mb to play them smoothly. :)
encus

Post by encus »

Updated to ver. 32.0.2. The problem is still there. Have to restart FF to make it normal again. I don't want to do this all the time.
phaolo

Post by phaolo »

encus wrote:Updated to ver. 32.0.2. The problem is still there. Have to restart FF to make it normal again. I don't want to do this all the time.

Have you tried "MemoryFox" addon?
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

This is a fairly old thread but my issue is (I think) closely related...

I've used FF for many many years. 6 months ago I finally got sick of all the hangs &etc associated with Flash, and I switched to Chrome. After 6 months I was sick of various issues with Chrome so I switched back to FF, and I remembered why I left... :(

I did a wipe and fresh install o fWin7/64 on my laptop less than 2 months ago. I have the latest/current FF and Flash. And yet **ANY** flash (as far as I can see) causes lots of hangs.
* It's very common for a video to hang (image frozen, but audio still playing) for 12-15 seconds at the start of the video
* It's very common for video to play in very jerky fashion: hang for ~1-2 seconds, move very rapidly for < 1/2 second, repeat. Audio still plays OK.
* Embedded videos in Facebook & similar are hard to start & stop because the player is frozen.
* Just about any page with flash hangs up while loading. Sometimes the "loading circle" just hangs for 5-10 seconds, sometimes the "a script on this page is busy" dialog pops up.

I have 8GB RAM in this laptop and generally I run with less than 6GB used.

Help?