SeaFox - Development

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Frank Lion

Re: SeaFox - Development

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Frank Lion has two new themes.

Are they compatible with the latest SF? After reading something a while back I've been leery about updating.. Need my eye candy..

Yeah, my stuff and SF pretty much run side by side, so much so that sometimes I forget which is doing what or forget to check default to make sure my changes are OK there, as well.

For example, the awesome bar dropdown changes (description on the left, hover/selected, etc) are done by my stuff, simply because Pat doesn't use it and I do.

Every so often (once) Pat has a rush of blood to the head and does loads of changes without letting me know. Hence, why his recent combined b/f stuff missed my latest round of ML SM updates this time. :)

patrickjdempsey wrote:Frank's themes are compatible with SeaFox except for the combined back/forward button that I added in the latest version, but if you don't use that they work great.

It's obvious that I needed to hit class and not id there, due to using rotate which would have also rotated text otherwise. However, I forget why I added node as well, maybe I was planning on adding a coloured filter or something.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be as specific as I first coded it to work with my 'look' now, which is not going to change.

I have the following soak testing which fixes your combined back/forward. As you know, I don't do combines like that - like BMV, etc. I do same size on a background with no dropmarker - viewtopic.php?p=13907447&sid=f4007ee0feb9168d90f956d31cae9d55#p13907447

However, for the 5 minutes it took, might as well have your stuff working there and some might find your dropmarker useful. My stuff always revolves around its Forward/Back (hence why the hover/active states use fancy graphics and not the svg filters used for everything else) so the soak test will be at least a couple of weeks, but nothing is breaking so far. Test away yourself if you want -

Code: Select all

/*Sea Fox combined back forward fix - orig coding with node toobarbutton removed...*/

#back-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 256px, 32px, 224px) !important;
    transform : rotate(90deg) scale(0.75, 0.75) !important;
}

#forward-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 256px, 32px, 224px) !important;
   transform : rotate(270deg) scale(0.75, 0.75) !important;
}   

#forward-button .toolbarbutton-icon  {
   clip-path: none !important;
   border-radius: 10000px !important;
   border: none !important;
}

#back-button .toolbarbutton-icon  {
   padding: 3px !important;
   border-radius: 10000px !important;
   border: none !important;
   box-shadow: none !important;
}

#back-button .toolbarbutton-icon ,
#forward-button .toolbarbutton-icon    {
   background-image: linear-gradient(hsla(0,0%,100%,.7),hsla(0,0%,100%,0.5), hsla(0,0%,100%,.05)) !important;
    background-color:  hsla(210,54%,20%,.15) !important;
}

#back-button:not([disabled="true"]):not([open="true"]):not(:active):hover .toolbarbutton-icon ,
#forward-button:not([disabled="true"]):not([open="true"]):not(:active):hover .toolbarbutton-icon  {
  background-color: hsla(210,48%,96%,.3) !important;
}

#back-button:not([disabled="true"]):hover:active .toolbarbutton-icon,
#back-button[open="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon ,
#forward-button:not([disabled="true"]):hover:active .toolbarbutton-icon ,
#forward-button[open="true"] .toolbarbutton-icon   {
  background-color:  hsla(210,54%,20%,.15) !important;
}

#back-button[disabled=true] .toolbarbutton-icon ,
#forward-button[disabled=true] .toolbarbutton-icon  {
   opacity: 0.5 !important;}

Same general change will be needed for 'small icons' mode
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to after looking at your themes... looks like you were trying to be extra-specific to defeat the Firefox menu stuff? I've tried to add this feature in a way that wouldn't break existing themes and everything else I tested looked good. Actually my own Stratini Artemia doesn't quite work right with it because it will sometimes not show the large back button. Uploaded a fix a few days ago.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to after looking at your themes... looks like you were trying to be extra-specific to defeat the Firefox menu stuff?

I thought that, but that extra-specificity is not in the Firefox stuff, it's something I introduced into the SM themes. Would help if I could remember why of course, (small icons mode maybe?) but that's why I'm going to long soak test the 'normal' way of coding that.

Be worth doing, odd coding without a good reason is going to break on something in the future.

Edit - Here's the small icons mode coding required for the above -

Code: Select all

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #back-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
   padding: 0px !important;
   margin: -2px !important;
   transform : rotate(90deg) scale(0.75, 0.75) scale(0.8, 0.8) !important;
}   

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #forward-button .toolbarbutton-icon {
   transform : rotate(270deg) scale(0.75, 0.75) scale(0.7, 0.7) !important;
   padding: 0px !important;
   margin: -2px !important;
}
Last edited by Frank Lion on January 25th, 2015, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

Well friend and I took the Firefox 3 conversion to the extreme and made this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... ebrander-3
I suppose it may be useful to some that really want the old nostalgia back. Hopefully somebody can get Vista Strata ported too. So yeah, perfect Firefox 3 clone here.
Extremist? You can say that. lol
Browsers: Firefox ESR , Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Chromium (testing purposes).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:.. but that's why I'm going to long soak test the 'normal' way of coding that.

That above fix has long since proved itself a non-breaker, so the next updates of the ML SM themes will support your combined Back/Forward.

Mind you, that might be a while, because I've got no visual improvements scheduled, no breakers and no other bug reports in, at the moment.
patrickjdempsey

Thanks Frank.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Phew. SeaFox numbers keep climbing. Install numbers have doubled since I went Public in January. Enabled users is around 86% which is darn good... that means that the vast majority of users who installed SeaFox are still using it! (Coming from the world of Themes where you are lucky if 10% of your users are running Enabled, that's pretty sweet) 96% of users are on the current version of SeaFox, and among SeaFox users it looks like there is similar update adoption rates for new versions of SeaMonkey.

All of that rapid adoption combined with very quiet threads here makes me happy. That means things are stable and the products acts as expected. Which suits me just fine.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

I think we need to add some more smilies to this board's selection... 8-)
patrickjdempsey

Per comments here: viewtopic.php?p=14138153#p14138153 I'm going to start working on compatibility for Alfred Kayser's themes which he has recently updated after 2 years. The good thing is that not only does Alfred use a pretty consistent template, but the icons are virtually identically in all but his "MicroMonkey" theme. And since he has Firefox versions of these themes, I don't have to make new icons.

Also discovered that I need to work on support for Orbit Retro: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... rbitretro/ Early testing shows that adding it to the Modern compatibility set seems to cure 99% of it's problems and the colors match.

This is work I don't mind... I'm just glad to see more themes coming (back) to SeaMonkey!
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Per comments here: viewtopic.php?p=14138153#p14138153 I'm going to start working on compatibility for Alfred Kayser's themes which he has recently updated after 2 years.

The problem I have with Alfred's themes is that he keeps experimenting with the orientation of toolbar buttons, and it messes up some of the buttons. I keep having to disable (and sometimes change, especially lately) some of the code that is changing vertical versus horizontal orientation just to keep the buttons looking normal.
patrickjdempsey

Just uploaded a new version with support for Alfred's themes as well as minimal support for Orbit Retro.

New for 0.4.2:

- Minor change in how back and forward buttons are hidden for better theme support
- Removed vestigial labels on close buttons
- Use Modern compatibility skin for Orbit Retro theme
- Added minimum heights for urlbar and searchbar

- Created Alfred Kayser themes compatibility skin:
-- Tabs height fix
-- Jumping urlbar height fix
-- Searchbox highlight fix
-- Addons manager background image fix
-- Icons from Nautipolis
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

SeaFox feature suggestion - seeing as how none of us are that keen on Incontent stuff and SM has windows for Options and Customise, how about returning the Addons Manager to a window as an option?

Possible start point - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... g-for-ff4/

Just a thought.
patrickjdempsey

Exalm's Old Addons Manager is based partly on my work, and used to be compatible with SeaFox, but he appears to have abandoned it: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2791661

There are a bunch of weird issues that come up with this and I'm not really prepared at the moment to tackle a major new feature. Lot's going on in life... about to move into a new rental house... living alone for the first time in 17 years will be interesting.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Actually, MR Tech Toolkit has an option to put the addons in a separate window. It is done with a toolbar button, so if I click the toolbar button, I get the addons opening in a window, and if I click the menu item from Tools, I get a tab.