Mouse gestures for Seamonkey (and Firefox)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Gort

Re: Mouse gestures for Seamonkey 2.24

Post by Gort »

Minor bug in 1.3.0 that I've also tested in a fresh profile with no other extensions installed.

When you open a private window via a mouse gesture, if you start the gesture on an image (doesn't have to be a link, but it also happens on an image link), then the image is shown in the new private window with the link to it in the address bar. Opening a private window with a gesture that doesn't start on an image opens fine.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Well, I can answer in Microsoft style - it's not a bug, it's a feature :). What I did was I just made the opening private windows follow the same pattern as opening regular windows - and one of the previous developers managed to cram 3 actions (!) into this one gesture: open new window, open link in new window and open image in new window. The specific action is chosen depending on whether a link or image has been found under the gesture.

Honestly, I don't know if this is not too much, I was thinking about getting rid of the opening image in new window but decided to leave the original behaviour. But even then I suppose opening image in a new private window doesn't make a lot of sense and hardly anyone would want to do that. What is your suggestion?

BTW, Mouse Gestures Suite is fully reviewed now :mrgreen:
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Gort

Post by Gort »

Lemon Juice wrote:What is your suggestion?

Well, first off, I consider it quite minor. I was just surprised when I opened a private window to find an image in it. I have deselected the option to open links under gestures (Mouse Gesture Options in Advanced #1 tab in prefs), so I suppose I didn't expect an image to pop up in my window, even though it's not a link. I deselected that option to ensure that my opening a new tab/window did exactly that and not something else, particularly as I can be a bit inaccurate and carefree in my gesture drawing now and then, hitting a link by accident. Maybe an option, alongside the mentioned option, to open images under a performed gesture, which can be deselected (covering both normal and private windows, etc).

BTW, Mouse Gestures Suite is fully reviewed now :mrgreen:

Congrats. :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I think I'll just remove the feature of opening images for new window actions - I myself had doubts about it, especially that now people have separate actions for opening images in new tabs and windows. If no one complains within a day or two I'll just kill it :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Vesrion 1.4.2 of Mouse Gestures Suite released!

Changes since 1.3.0:

* focus cursor in location bar after opening empty private window

* new action (actually resurrected from original AiO Gestures): "Return to Previous Selected Tab" (aka "Go to Last Focused Tab")

* removed opening images for actions to open new window or new private window because this was confusing since too many actions were performed under one gesture depending on context

* fix: gesture trails were still causing unpleasant delays on mouse right-clicks on large pages like https://github.com/warewolf/truecrypt/c ... ster...7.2 - finally resolved the issue by drawing the trail outside viewable document. As a positive side effect the trails are also drawn on browser chrome elements outside the main document.

* trails are now drawn on canvas, which means:
1. Lines without so much jaggedness (esp. on zoom levels other than 100% and higher DPI settings in OS)
2. Better performance (no more creating separate DOM objects for each trail point)
3. Option to make trails nicely smooth (anti-aliased)

* fix minor issue with "Undo close tab" action not cooperating well with some other extensions (like Undo Closed Tabs Button) that rely on history of closed tabs

* allow larger trail size (max 12 instead of 8)

* fix: old addon ID prevented some minor clean-up on uninstallation

* fix: don't throw js errors when page is reloaded during gesture drawing

* changed default trail colour to nice green

* some code clean-up

new in 1.4.1:
* fix: mouse gestures became broken in ver. 1.4.0 on unstyled xml documents - this has been fixed, moreover gesture trails have been enabled in those document since the new drawing method outside main document allows for it without problems.

new in 1.4.2:
* fix: ver. 1.4.0 shouldn't have focused cursor in location bar when opening link in new private window
Last edited by Lemon Juice on July 29th, 2014, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Ah, new version to play with. :)

You're aware that this behaviour will be fixed in SeaMonkey 2.29 (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1015924)? Nice to get this behaviour prior to 2.29, though. :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Gort wrote:Ah, new version to play with. :)

You're aware that this behaviour will be fixed in SeaMonkey 2.29 (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1015924)? Nice to get this behaviour prior to 2.29, though. :)

yes, I've seen that, however I'm not sure this will automatically work here because I'm not using the same function for opening private windows as Ctrl+Shift+B, so while about:privatebrowsing may be indeed hidden in SM 2.29 I'm not sure if cursor will get focus in the current implementation of mouse gestures - so I've done it basically to be more future proof :)

Good that you've actually mentioned it because I've discovered a bug in the new version - the cursor got focus when opening a link in private window but it shouldn't. So another dot release today and I'm at 1.4.2 now :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Some more surprises coming up with the new version so another dot release was needed... The canvas for gesture trails caused flash objects in window mode to disappear - for example, on youtube the video disappeared on every mouse down and reappeared on mouse up. It seems it's not possible to draw canvas (or any other layer) on top of windowed flash and keep both visible. So now in smooth mode the trail uses up only a rectangle needed for the gesture (no larger) and in non-smooth mode the canvas is not drawn until first trail stroke. Not perfect but should be good enough. I hope there will be no more surprises like this :).

new in 1.4.3:
* fix: Canvas element for trails caused flash videos (e.g. on Youtube) to disappear in v. 1.4.0 when right mouse button was down. Now canvas is drawn only when trail needs to be drawn and in smooth mode it is dynamically resized to the rectangle defined by gesture trail thus not convering all page content. Smooth trails is on by default now.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Mouse Gestures Suite 1.5.0 released! (currently awaiting review at version history)

The major features in this release include Firefox and Pale Moon compatibility, gestures initiated on tabs (like in classic Opera, you can, for example, close any tab with a gesture), import/export feature, some new actions, configurable list of special URLs for specific mouse gesture treatment and other goodies.

* Firefox (and Pale Moon) compatibility

* New action: Show/Hide Bookmarks Toolbar

* New action: Close Tabs to the Right

* New feature (present in classic Opera Presto): now gestures can also be initiated on browser tabs and then they apply to the target tab even if it is not active. Here is the list of actions that can affect inactive tabs via gestures:
- Close current Tab
- Close Document
- Close all other Tabs
- Close Tabs to the Right
- History Back
- History Forward
- Reload Document
- Reload Document from Network
- Stop Loading
- Reload Frame
- Duplicate Tab
- Duplicate Window
- Detach Tab to New Window
- Detach Next Tab and Double Stack Windows
- View Page Source
- View Frame Source (applies to top frame when invoked on tab)
- View Page Info
- View Frame Info (applies to top frame when invoked on tab)
- Save Page As...

* New feature: Export/Import settings to a file and Restore Default Settings

* New feature: URLs/domains can be added to a list of sites where special treatment of mouse gestures is required. There are two options:
1. Prioritize gestures - for sites which interfere with gesture performance caused by running heavy scripts when user clicks with the mouse. The scripts on the site will not be executed when right- or middle-clicking therefore allowing for smooth mouse gesture execution.
2. Disable gestures - for sites where mouse gestures can cause issues and should be disabled.

* make gesture trail appear semi-transparent when gesture timeout is reached after user has stopped moving mouse for one second and also indicate the timeout in the status bar with [X] appended to action name

* "Open Selection in new Tab" now detects about:xxx URLs and loads them directly

* "Full Screen" action now works in all window types (Page Source, Mail) - for non-browser windows it falls back to Maximize/Restore.

* actions "Open Selection in new Tab" and "Search for Selection in new Tab/Window" now open home page of default search engine if no text is selected (instead of doing nothing)

* "Close Other Tabs" uses more native code, so there is a warning before closing multiple tabs if browser supports it (Fx)

* fix: status bar didn't show names of drawn gestures whose definitions begin with + (meaning "any sequence"), they were reported as "Unknown Gesture".

* Removed hidden pref that prevented gestures and default context menus from working on object and embed tags (originally intended to disable gestures on flash). Now gestures work correctly on images and other non-flash media on <object> and <embed> tags and on flash placeholders when flash is set to "ask to activate".

* fix: error with scroll wheel navigation for option "history/tab based on initial rotation" after all tabs except one have been closed

* some other small fixes
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Wow this boy is on a roll. He should change his nick to Lemonade :lol: =D> :wink: :-"

Phil
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

How did you know drinking lemonade helps with extension development?? Personal experience? :D :lol:

Now I'm back to pure water, taking a rest and hope the new features will be enjoyed :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

New version of Mouse Gesture Suite has been released: 1.6.0.

It has not yet been reviewed by Mozilla and is available in version history for anyone to try. So far none of the Firefox compatible versions (>=1.5.0) have received full review by Mozilla - this doesn't mean these versions are more broken, it's just that the reviewers are becoming more strict about accepting certain obsolete programming practices and what was acceptable a few months ago is no longer so (this extension has a lot of legacy code inherited from All-in-One Gestures and even earlier incarnations). This, combined with extreme slowness of the review process in recent months, results in the newest versions being available only in version history. I hope they manage to speed things up eventually.

Version 1.6.0 contains a few fixes and improvements as compared to 1.5.4:

* When browsing sites where gestures are disabled with site rules - now gestures are allowed if initiated on tabs

* double-clicking on action in options now starts editing (without having to press "Edit gesture")

* Added info icons to gesture preferences table, which allow to quickly read documentation on selected action

* Adding site-specific rules: now there are two buttons for quickly inserting URL of recently viewed site or page

* use tooltip in bottom left corner for showing status of current gesture if status bar is not available (hidden or in full screen mode in SeaMonkey)

* new feature for actions "Open new Tab in Foreground", "Open new Tab in Background" and "Open blank Tab": you can now open a new tab next to the current one or any other tab by initiating gesture on tab (by default SM/Fx open new tabs at the end).

* Action "Open URL from Clipboard in new Tab" now always opens new tab in foreground

* Now mouse gestures are turned off completely when "Mouse gestures", "Rocker gestures" and "Scroll wheel navigation" are disabled - which means less code execution on mouse clicks and on Linux context menu appear normally (system default), that is immediately on mouse down (like without mouse gestures). This can potentially help coexistence with other mouse gesture extensions if you want to use only non-gesture features like middle button scrolling.

* improvement to "Reload Frame" action: now it also works in Page Source and Mail windows and falls back to normal reload action

* fix: use different way of drawing autoscroll icons, which brings back the ability to use arrow keys for controlling autoscroll (this feature stopped working in recent SM and Fx releases)

* actions "Open Selection in new Tab" and "Search for Selection in new Tab/Window" now work also from Page Source and Mail Compose windows

* Action "Load Home Page":
- fix: sometimes wrong URL was loaded instead of home page
- now supports multiple home pages defined in SeaMonkey
- fix: did not work in Page Source in Fx

* removed commas from direction shortcuts in status of current gesture in status bar (look clearer without them)

* Updated help contents

* fix: on Windows context menu could get disabled permanently on sites with disabled gesture rules

* fix: "Hide Flash animations" action worked only on <embed> tags. Now it also works on <object> tags.

* fix: action "Hide Flash Animations" didn't work for Flash objects which had dimensions defined in ways other than standard width and height attributes

* fix: when new tab was opened by rocker gesture then after returning to the original tab the browser started selecting text even without any mouse down action

* fix: left rocker gesture wasn't capable of opening new tab in foreground

* fix: "Reload Frame" action was buggy when invoked on a tab

* fix (Firefox): page zoom actions were reset after page reload or navigating to a different page

* some optimizations and fixes with parsing site rules

* fix (Windows): when rocker gestures were set to execute "Increment/Decrement digit in URL" and user pressed "Cancel" after dialog window appeared then rocker gesture process was not ended and on right clicking within the web page the dialog window opened again and could be very annoying

* disabled context menu in text box in dialog window of "Increment/Decrement digit in URL" action, because on Windows sometimes the context menu appeared when finishing rocker gesture and obscured the view. Context menu is not needed there, anyway.

* removed obsolete code for drag&drop moving of rows with gesture actions - which didn't work anyway and only produced js errors

* fix for Pale Moon 25: changed application detection so that PM 25 is recognized by MGS as Fx and not as SM

* changed default autoscroll refresh rate from normal to fast

* some code refactoring to be more up to date with Mozilla review guidelines: namespace some of the code and unprefixed functions and variables. Get rid of assigning to uninitialized variables and use strict mode.

* some other minor fixes and code clean-up
Gort

Re: Mouse gestures for Seamonkey (and Firefox)

Post by Gort »

One thing that's neat in Firegestures on Firefox is the ability to list all tabs with a gesture. Basically, if you set a mouse gesture for this feature, it'll pop-up a list of all tabs, and then you can select a tab from this list if you wish. Saves a lot of time selecting a tab and is useful to get a quick list of all tabs. Please consider making it possible to include this feature in a coming version of Mouse Gestures Suite. Thanks.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Yeah, actually this feature was present in All-in-One Gestures but I for some reason I removed it - I don't know why, probably I had some problems with it when beginning my tinkering with the extension. So now I tried to bring it back and it works! It's initiated a bit differently from FireGestures as it's not available as a separate gesture action but is activated as part of Scroll Wheel Navigation -> Navigate through Tabs or History / Tabs based on initial rotation. I modified it a little bit so that the last visited tab appears as underlined in the list. The original AiO implementation had a mechanism of automatically switching to the previously visited tab but it was very unintuitive for me - sometimes I got switched to another tab even if I didn't really scroll to it in the menu, one of the tabs appeared in italics and for a few minutes I couldn't figure out why and what for until I read up the docs on the AiO web site. So I dumped this mechanism and implemented something hopefully simpler. Check it out - maybe you'll like it 8-)

This feature is available in 1.7.0beta7 that is now in the development channel - see "complete version history". Version 1.7.0 is a major rewrite for compatibility with e10s in current Fx nightlies. It still has a few glitches to fix but mostly they affect e10s so in SM it should work fine. It doesn't have many new features but one of them is the ability to open new tab to the left or right of any tab - if you start a new tab gesture on the left half of a tab then the new tab will open to the left, and when on the right half - it will open to the right.

There was also version 1.6.3 I didn't write about here, mostly because there were fixes and a small number of new features and I had a really hard time getting it to pass the AMO review :x ...
Gort

Post by Gort »

Seems to be working fine. Love the inclusion of an indicator for the last visited tab. Thanks a lot. :)