A plugin is needed to display this content

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
redfox2004

A plugin is needed to display this content

Post by redfox2004 »

Hello , recently while playing youtube videos , i'm getting the error -
"A plugin is needed to display this content" . This error stays on the screen for 1-2 seconds and then the video ultimately starts playing .
This started happening today , when i un-installed my firefox 35.0.1 and re-installed it .
I already have the latest adobe flash installed in my sytem (windows 7).
Any solution to this problem ? Thanx
redfox2004

Re: A plugin is needed to display this content

Post by redfox2004 »

Also while watching youtube videos on firefox , i cannot see few resolution options in the youtube player like 240p , 480p etc. But other options like 360p and 720p are available . This problem started when i re-installed my firefox today morning.
I posted this problem on google's youtube forum . They told me its a firefox issue and told me to check it on chrome ... and to my surprise , no such issue on chrome .

Here are both screenshots of youtube player . Just check the resolution options -

*Youtube on FF -

Code: Select all

http://i.imgur.com/LNZhDeU.jpg?1

*Youtube on Chrome -

Code: Select all

http://i.imgur.com/0MeXNC0.png?1?7688
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Sounds like you don't have Flash installed (version 16.0.0.305 on Windows) or not set to Always Activate, and are getting the HTML5 player as a result. Currently, the HTML5 player only goes up to 720p and doesn't have several of the other possible resolutions that the Flash player has.

If you don't want to see that plugin flash, go to https://www.youtube.com/html5 and tell it you want HTML5 by default if you don't want to install Flash: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... tion3.html (you want the plugin-based version).
redfox2004

Post by redfox2004 »

1) I have flash v 16.0.0.305 installed .

2) While browsing youtube on FF , the flash player is my default player & not the html5 one . So as per your saying it should be showing all the resolution options , but its not happening :(

3) To check whether the "plugin needed" error still showing or not , i tried to change my default player from flash to html5 , but even that didn't work . And still now the error keeps on showing .

4) One more thing , i just found out , that besides youtube videos , i can't run any other flash videos of other sites , like that of cam sites like chaturbate.com or other adult flash videos . Nothing :(
But on chrome its working fine.

If these issues aren't solved , i guess i have to switch to chrome .
It would be goodbye to FF after using it for almost 10 years :(
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

redfox2004 wrote:If these issues aren't solved , i guess i have to switch to chrome .
It would be goodbye to FF after using it for almost 10 years :(

Why do people try these empty threats when asking for help? (and then always post later denying that they were)

I switched to this thread to help, damned if I'm going to now.

Bye.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

If you're in the habit of browsing adult video sites, the chances are that at some point you have been conned into downloading a fake Flash update or picked up malware from an infected video or ad. Especially if you don't have an adequate adblocker and/or popup killers.

Completely uninstall Flash using Adobe's uninstaller and then run at least one anti-malware scan from a company not associated with your usual AV or firewall - Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware are both good. Check your list of programs in Control Panel and uninstall anything you don't recognise. Then run AdwCleaner - a very powerful deep cleaner. Once AdwCleaner has restarted your system, reinstall Flash from a clean download and try again.
redfox2004

Post by redfox2004 »

Its not a malware/virus issue . Im already using malwarebytes for many years. No infections found . Also i use adblock plus and i never download flash from unknown sources . Especially if those adult websites promts me to . I always download flash from their official site . Same for firefox .
These issues happened few years ago too , as i can clearly read many people's posts across google saying youtube options dissapeared and stuffs like that .

Also i'm getting the error in youtube videos "An Error Occured . Try Again" (only in firefox)
But in Chrome everything works fine.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

If you came here looking for advice you've a funny way of going about it.

Malwarebytes is not infallible and doesn't find everything - which is why I suggested SuperAntiSpyware and AdwCleaner. And if you knew anything you'd realise that Flash in Firefox and Chrome are completely separate.

If you do what I suggested above, it will give a basis for analysis. Otherwise you're just wasting your - and everyone else's - time.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

redfox2004,
At least try AdwCleaner...just for fun.
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
redfox2004

Post by redfox2004 »

Hey guys , My firefox is working again . I re-installed my flash and bingo . But i already re-installed my flash 2 times today and it was not working then , but this time it did . I'm glad i got back my favourite browser back coz chrome makes my system a bit slow.
Thanx guys for all the suggestions . And yeah Limpet235 i tried that too , no infections :)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Since following all steps here... I've not had Flash issues... other than Flash is generally crap :-"

Since using the info in these links I've had no problems. Note step 3 in the 1st doc. Also, I get my Flash from the last link... cleaner to work with.

Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!