Youtube has stopped using flash player ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Michael89

Youtube has stopped using flash player ?

Post by Michael89 »

Hey guys,

So has youtube finally stopped using flash player ?
I mean i was watching videos today and suddenly i noticed the 480p option was gone. I right clicked the video and saw that html5 player options instead of flash player's option. Flash player add-on is enabled in firefox, i checked it.

Also, i read on a website that youtube has stopped using flash since late january, but i'm not sure 100% about the information. Here's the link:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/27/youtu ... y-default/

Is this true ?

Can anyone please tell me if they can still flash player on youtube or just html5 ?

Also, does anyone know if the news in the link is official or not ?
Last edited by Michael89 on February 18th, 2015, 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheVisitor

Re: Youtube has stopped using flash player ?

Post by TheVisitor »

Youtube has been using HTML5 for a few months now...
Michael89

Post by Michael89 »

I have been using flash up until january. Only now it stopped working.
Also, there is another topic about youtube i think in which a user says he can only view up to 720p. This option is in html5 from what i know, because html5 uses only 720p and 360p.
Here's the link

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2914595
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I watched some U.T. vids about a half hour ago... all were Flash... I just double checked one of them and a right-click on the vid had all the Flash options/settings stuff... though this is the first time I've gotten an errors displayed (for about 1/2 second) when starting the vid... then it plays... it had an error message on all of them.

Check your Flash version...

You might want to restart Firefox in safe-mode to see what happens....
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Michael89

Post by Michael89 »

Already checked flash version right after i made the topic. The same in safe-mode, no difference. It is the latest one.
Where do you live ?
Perhaps youtube started cutting off flash regionally you know, if i'm in europe for example they probably did this today. Tommorow or the next week maybe, asia is next etc.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm in Mesquite Nevada USA... little town north of Vegas.

I saw a couple hours ago ... a discussion about this type of thing... I don't remember which Topic it was... did you post to it also?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

df, I think you'll find that link in the 4th post....up.^^^^.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Michael89

Post by Michael89 »

I posted in this one df.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2914595
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Wellllll... OKkkkkkk... must be an age thing :lol: :lol: I had plenty of coffee so I can't blame it for the lack of...
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

...this is strange!

I have Flash Player set to "ask to activate," and I clear my cache on exit, so settings are not remembered. An hour ago, after reading this post string, I called up YouTube, clicked on a video, and it played automatically in HTML5. I tried it just now and I got the prompt in the center of the screen to enable Flash Player.

OF
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Not that unusual... There are 1000's (maybe Millions) of vids on youtube that are Not coded for HTML5 so you are prompted to enable Flash.
Last edited by JayhawksRock on February 18th, 2015, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

JayhawksRock wrote:Not that unusual... There are 1000's of vids on youtube that are Not coded for HTML5.

No, it was the same video I played before -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ga9Bs4fzSY -- along with some others I tried that worked in HTML5.

I just tried about a dozen more, and same results.

I guess it's possible that YouTube is doing some tweaking, and has disabled the default HTML5 setting--temporarily, I hope.

OF
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

If you must have flash, try setting flash to "always" and disable other video related plugin(s) or extensions
Last edited by JayhawksRock on February 18th, 2015, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Ortho_Fan wrote:
JayhawksRock wrote:Not that unusual... There are 1000's of vids on youtube that are Not coded for HTML5.

No, it was the same video I played before -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ga9Bs4fzSY -- along with some others I tried that worked in HTML5.

I just tried about a dozen more, and same results.

I guess it's possible that YouTube is doing some tweaking, and has disabled the default HTML5 setting--temporarily, I hope.

OF

Great song.. plays here HTML5.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

and it plays in Flash for me.