Questions regarding maximum number of bcc's

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mraley77

Questions regarding maximum number of bcc's

Post by mraley77 »

I have a question on the maximum number of bcc's availiable through Thunderbird. Our group needs to be able to send out occasional emails with a large distribution list of bcc's. On the order of 6,000 distinct emails. Using Thunderbird would be most advantageous for us at this point. However, I'm somewhat concerned about running up against a hard limit in Thunderbird on how many email addresses it will allow, and about any performance concerns associated with such a large number. So, my questions basically are:

1) is there a hard limit on number of bcc's allowed by Thunderbird?

2) is there any known performance issues with large distribution lists?

3) also, on a related note, is there any known issues or privacy concerns on bcc's with Thunderbird?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike
old SKopischke

Re: Questions regarding maximum number of bcc's

Post by old SKopischke »

mraley77 wrote:1) is there a hard limit on number of bcc's allowed by Thunderbird?

Not that I know of. However, your ISP might have a limit.
mraley77 wrote:2) is there any known performance issues with large distribution lists?

Well, it can take some time to send a message out to that many recipients, but it's faster than sending them one at a time.
mraley77 wrote:3) also, on a related note, is there any known issues or privacy concerns on bcc's with Thunderbird?

I don't think so, but can you clarify your question?

Post by Guest »

sure. I guess my main privacy concern is centered around a lack of understanding of bcc's. We do not want anyone receiving an email to know or under any circumstances to find out another name on the distribution list. I have done some testing on my own and have been unable to do this, however, given today's litigous society, my paranoia is running slightly higher than normal.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

I see. That is the exact purpose of a BCC. It actually stands for "Blind Carbon Copy" and stems from the days when all memos were hand or typewritten. A recipient of a BCC might be able to see other recipients, but only "To's" and "CC's." BCC's are not visible to each other, nor anyone else except the message originator.

Post by Guest »

Right, so the BCC functionality is taken care of before the email leaves the originating mail server? ie, it's split before going out and no information pertaining to the list is carried forward in the emails?

thnx for the help btw!
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Correct - any time you send a message to multiple recipients, it is send as individual messages to the recipients.

Post by Guest »

awesome, many thanks! sorry to end up rather off topic on the forum!
MR
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

You're welcome and I don't think it was much off-topic at all.