Is Seamonkey adding "Hello" like FF?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
RhodaX

Is Seamonkey adding "Hello" like FF?

Post by RhodaX »

Just uninstalled FF due to their implementation of "Hello". Is seamonkey adding Hello? Is so, will it be like FF where its part of the browser or will it be a plug-in that isn't installed and enabled by default?
barbaz

Re: Is Seamonkey adding "Hello" like FF?

Post by barbaz »

It's not in SeaMonkey yet, and I think it's unlikely it will be added given that Hello code resides in mozilla/browser/ meaning Firefox specific source code.

IOW, if SeaMonkey wants Hello they'll have to actually port it, and I don't know if they'll want to do that or not.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Highly doubtful SeaMonkey would touch "Loop" with a ten foot pole. SeaMonkey devs are very conservative about porting features from Firefox and generally only do so when there is an obvious improvement over the old implementation, or when supporting the older implementation just becomes too much work. SeaMonkey itself is the old Netscape/Mozilla Suite being maintained with modern Gecko rendering and security.

This guide is for users switching over to SeaMonkey from Firefox:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2802461
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

RhodaX wrote:Just uninstalled FF due to their implementation of "Hello". Is seamonkey adding Hello? Is so, will it be like FF where its part of the browser or will it be a plug-in that isn't installed and enabled by default?

It may be enabled by default in Firefox, but nobody is forcing you to use it. Well, maybe a friend or relative that has Firefox and knows you do to, may try to initiate a call.

Do you use Skype? Firefox Hello is Skype without having to install Skype.

I bet many users use this on their smart phones without a second thought.

WebRTC

I certainly hope SeaMonkey will be an HTML5 feature compatible browser.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

WLS wrote:I certainly hope SeaMonkey will be an HTML5 feature compatible browser.

What the heck does WebRTC have to do with HTML5? It's a ridiculous appendage, that I seriously doubt anyone who isn't a salivating browser fanboy will bother with. What's next? An email client and a web editor?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

WLS wrote:I certainly hope SeaMonkey will be an HTML5 feature compatible browser.

SeaMonkey does have WebRTC capability, but what does that have to do with this thread?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Hello/Loop relies on WebRTC, among other technologies. To that extent, it's related to this thread. There is a build-time switch --{enable,disable}-webrtc in .mozconfig to allow Mozilla applications to build with or without supporting WebRTC (which won't include anything Firefox-specific from the browser/ subtree for SeaMonkey unless it was explicitly ported to suite/).
mazola

Post by mazola »

[quote="RhodaX"]Just uninstalled FF due to their implementation of "Hello". Is seamonkey adding Hello? Is so, will it be like FF where its part of the browser or will it be a plug-in that isn't installed and enabled by default?[/quote]

That, and Pocket were the very reason I ditched FF for SM. I hate it when apps become opinionated and shove things down our throat, intrusive or not.
Not finding any decent RSS reader for FF, Sage & Newsfox were the only decent ones, but they used BMs, which even though I prefer, now is a no-no as FF sync freezes when RSSs are loaded.

I'm pretty sure SM was forked from FF as many were getting irked by their departure from putting users first. So no way will they slide these creepy apps
up on us or so I hope !

Was about to go back to Chrome after flirting with FF for the nth time when I came across SM. Very slick RSS and am hoping to move my mail servers to it. Browser is a bit archaic, but seems slightly better at memory than FF.

Hope the honeymoon lasts !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your comments but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for two years. Please check the date of prior posts before replying in a topic.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.
James

Post by James »

mazola wrote:I'm pretty sure SM was forked from FF as many were getting irked by their departure from putting users first.
Actually SeaMonkey is a community effort in keeping the old Mozilla suite going after Mozilla discontinued it eleven years ago (Mozilla 1.7.13).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Application_Suite
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey

Anyways this was a old thread as noted.

Also the proper abbreviation for Firefox is Fx and not FF as newer Firefox users tend to think. ;)