Flashblock 1.5.19a1 for testing

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

Flashblock 1.5.19a1 for testing

Post by Philip Chee »

Hello people!

I need some help for testing the latest Flashblock before officially releasing.

http://downloads.mozdev.org/flashblock/flashblock-1.5.19a1.xpi

Known issues:
* On Youtube only doesn't work for HTML5 video. The video is blocked but the audio continues playing. Very strange.

Phil
Brummelchen

Re: Flashblock 1.5.19a1 for testing

Post by Brummelchen »

On Youtube only doesn't work for HTML5 video. The video is blocked but the audio continues playing. Very strange.

thats why is it called "flashblock" and not "html5 block"?
you need to force firefox using flash again like "magic actions for youtube" extension.
Or blocking the video tag.

just in mind.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Thanks for the update. So far I'm not seeing anything broken and seems to be working like always.

I still see this error in Browser Console which I believe was reported some time ago:

19:24:28.206 Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead.1 flashblock.xml:121:0
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

For me when I open a youtube page with HTML5 video and Flashblock enabled then only the audio starts playing and when I click on the F it simply stops. Version 1.5.19a didn't change anything for me in this regard.

However, it looks like version 1.5.19 fixes the problem of silverlight and quicktime videos not playing, so at least there's an improvement :)

Philip Chee wrote:* On Youtube only doesn't work for HTML5 video. The video is blocked but the audio continues playing. Very strange.

Not that strange. For HTML5 videos youtube has started to serve the audio from a separate stream than the video. I don't know the exact mechanisms they are using for this but I know that extensions for downloading youtube videos fetch the audio and video tracks separately and then mux them to get the final video file with audio. Flashblock apparently only blocks video so the audio starts playing. I don't know how this could be worked around - Flashblock would need to block both video and audio and also be able to know which audio should go with which video so that clicking the F would start playing both streams. I suppose this might of might not be complicated depending on how youtube is scripted.

BTW, why does SeaMonkey have a separate Flashblock version? From my observations (and other people's as well) Flashblock 1.5.x works on SM just fine after conversion. Why not simply enable Flashblock 1.5.x for SM in install.rdf and chrome.manifest and have it available on AMO?
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Have you looked into the CSS solutions Frank offered here? It seems that YouTube has a DIV covering the video for some reason:
viewtopic.php?p=13990643#p13990643
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:BTW, why does SeaMonkey have a separate Flashblock version? From my observations (and other people's as well) Flashblock 1.5.x works on SM just fine after conversion. Why not simply enable Flashblock 1.5.x for SM in install.rdf and chrome.manifest and have it available on AMO?
Historical reasons which don't apply any more. But I was too lazy to change. I'm now working on consolidating into one version.

Phil
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I don't know what the status of the sound problem is but perhaps you could release the current 1.5.19a1 with SM support? 1.5.19a1 solves the problem of blocking content from other plug-ins like silverlight and quicktime, which can be serious for some users. Someone asked me to send my patched SM version to mozdev but I don't think it makes sense since your version 1.5.19a1 is already patched in this regard.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

sorry to bring this up but Flashblock 1.5.20 was officially released early December 2015 on the Mozilla Addons site. Since that recent version is for Firefox only, one can try to convert it to work for Seamonkey by using this site.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

About the Flashblock comment made here:
http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/compatibility/
Some problems with blocking YouTube HTML5 videos - see this discussion. Version 1.5.19a1 is still better than the official one.
This is no longer true. v1.5.20 is actually better than 1.5.19a1 as I tested these versions myself on recent versions of Seamonkey.
Also, Youtube videos kinda force usage of HTML5 by default in any web browser (happened in Dec. 2016), even with Opera browser v12.18. I now put "&nohtml5=1" after any Youtube video URL to allow usage of flash instead of html5.