Windows Cleanup "deletes" KB3004375 and KB3031432

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Ortho_Fan

Windows Cleanup "deletes" KB3004375 and KB3031432

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Yesterday, I did a cleanup of my Windows (7 Sp1) temporary files using the Windows Disc Cleanup tool. I also did an advanced (System) cleanup to get rid of the 1.6 Gb archived Windows Security Updates -- tmp. and outdated files. After rebooting, there was a notification to install two "new" Windows security updates: KB3004375 and KB3031432. I did, and then rebooted again.

I then checked for updates, and was told Windows was up to date. After that, I ran Windows Disc Cleanup again, to make sure that all of the tmp., etc., files were removed. A few hours later, I ran Windows Update and was told to install two security updates -- KB3004375 and KB3031432 -- the same ones I had installed earlier.

After some troubleshooting, I discovered that running the advanced System cleanup either deletes the two security updates -- originally issued in February of this year -- or it screws up the log files that lets Windows know they're installed. Interestingly, even after reinstalling them via the update button, they do not appear in the master list of KB files where you can uninstall them, so I don't know if they're really installed or not at this point.

I did some Googling and spotted a reference by another poster on another forum who mentioned the identical problem within the past 24 hours, so I know this is not a unique issue to my computer.

I gather that most users don't bother with the built-in Windows Cleanup tool, preferring to use third party applications, but I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has run the tool within a past few days and was told to install KB3004375 and KB3031432.

OF
Last edited by Ortho_Fan on March 13th, 2015, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Windows Cleanup "deletes" KB3004375 and KB3031432

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Did you reboot the machine in all of this? Usually updates require a few reboots to fully install.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Hi Patrick:

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I rebooted each time the updates were installed -- in one case twice.

I troubleshooted four times, which involved --

---downloading and installing KB3004375 and KB3031432
---rebooting
---confirming that windows was up to date by running the Windows Update checker (being told "Windows is Up to Date")
---running Windows Cleanup (including the System File cleanup checker)
---checking for updates (and being notified that KB3004375 and KB3031432 were ready for downloading and installation)
---downloading and installing KB3004375 and KB3031432
---rebooting, ...etc.

All told, during the course of my "troubleshooting," the two security KB Updates were installed four times -- successfully -- according to the Windows Reliability History Monitor, as well as the Update History page. In spite of this, they do not appear on the Windows "Installed Updates" page.

By the way, I've also discovered that running the standard Windows Update Cleanup tool does NOT cause this problem to happen. Only when "Cleanup System Files" is selected does this happen.

I've spotted three references to this issue on other forums so far. I've posted the links. If this is not permissible, please (Mod) remove them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-upda ... dates.html
http://openeducation-in-world.com/wind- ... ssues.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... ow-errors/ (cursory reference in post about another issue).

OF
TopDogBrowser

Post by TopDogBrowser »

I have the exact same problem since I always run the full Windows Cleanup tool inc. Clean up of System Files after monthly updates.
Incidentally, I had to re- install KB3004375 and KB3031432 a total of 4 times as well as KB3021952 and KB3032359 twice each.
All show in View Update history.
ghot

Post by ghot »

I had the exact same issue as well. But get this...download them manually and try to install them. They BOTH tell you they have already been installed, even though, after running Disk Cleanup (Advanced) they no longer show up in Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates.

They also don't seem to send the information that they've been installed back to Windows Update either. SO, to prove this to yourself...just download both KB3004375 and KB3031432, save them to your desktop. Then try to install them. It goes to "checking for Installed Updates" ...then immediately goes to: "these Updates have already been installed.

I could upload pics to prove this, but as I mentioned above, you can prove it to yourself. I also called MS and let them know of the problem and the work around. The workaround being: Manually installing them and getting the message, that they are already installed...THEN go back to Windows Updates and simply UNcheck those two and then HIDE them. They were actually February Updates, btw. :)

/e Remember they do NOT show up in: Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates, even though they HAVE indeed been installed.

For anyone who WANTS the Disk Cleanup Update that removes useless GB's of leftover Windows Update code, you can get it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2852386
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Hi ghot:

Many thanks to you -- and the others who've responded so far -- for confirmation that this is a widespread issue. Interestingly, in my situation, once the updates were downloaded using "Windows Update," I was no longer prompted to install them, but was notified that "Windows is up to date," though as in your case, they do not appear in the master list of installed updates. The only time a prompt to install them appeared was when I checked for updates after I ran the System Cleanup tool--as I noted above.

I'd imagine that MOST Windows users will not be impacted since they aren't aware that the advanced (system) cleanup tool even exists. Several people I've spoken to had never heard of it.

OF
ghot

Post by ghot »

Ortho_Fan wrote:Hi ghot:

Many thanks to you -- and the others who've responded so far -- for confirmation that this is a widespread issue. Interestingly, in my situation, once the updates were downloaded using "Windows Update," I was no longer prompted to install them, but was notified that "Windows is up to date," though as in your case, they do not appear in the master list of installed updates. The only time a prompt to install them appeared was when I checked for updates after I ran the System Cleanup tool--as I noted above.

I'd imagine that MOST Windows users will not be impacted since they aren't aware that the advanced (system) cleanup tool even exists. Several people I've spoken to had never heard of it.

OF

It's the Disk Cleanup patch from 2 years ago or so that cleans the Update leftovers, but for these two updates, it also seems to clean the part of the updates that lets Windows Update know, that they've been installed. They're just sloppily coded Updates.

It adds the ability to remove Windows Update and Service Pack Update leftovers, to the Disk Cleanup Tool that comes with Windows.
After i do MS Tuesday Updates, I always run Disk Cleanup (patched) to remove the leftover stuff. I already ran it on Tuesday night so you can't see any leftovers.

But until this morning, I never realized what was causing this problem....

http://i.imgur.com/vFosctf.png

I would STILL never have known except that these to February Updates kept coming back, with Windows Update telling me they needed installed. Worst of all...they don't even show up in Programs and features > View Installed Updates.

http://i.imgur.com/yLoa252.jpg

If I hadn't manually downloaded them and had their installers tell me, that they had already been installed, I'd still be scratching my head.
Last edited by Daifne on March 28th, 2015, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed img tags. Size of images breaking forum format.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
aclarke

Post by aclarke »

After Windows update KB3004375 got installed on my Windows 7 Ultimate sp1 computer, the update history prior to that disappeared. I run "cleanmgr /sagerun:0" from the Windows Scheduler every day so this may have something to do with it. But a bigger problem emerged after the update. The computer is configured for multiple users who now can't login. The Windows welcome screen hangs indefinitely for multiple users (not every user for some strange reason) unless the process regsvr32.exe is killed. Malwarebytes won't run without crashing. This problem never happened until KB3004375 got installed. KB3004375 appears in the update history but not under Windows "Installed Updates", therefore, I can't uninstall it. I manually downloaded KB3004375 from http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3004375 hoping to install/uninstall it but I get a message that it's already installed and I have no where to uninstall it. Is there some way to manually uninstall KB3004375?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Whenever I have trouble with Window's updates, (not too frequent, but they do occur), I go to the "Horse's Mouth."
Have you tried the WIN7 fora?
ref; > http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24 ... pdate.html

Brink is very good but read the disclaimer.

Scroll down to the bottom for more tutorials/fixes.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

I've been tracking this issue daily and awareness of the problem is growing--exponentially--as more users happen to run Windows Cleanup.

This is the most comprehensive discussion I've spotted, so far -- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 905?page=1

I'd image within the next week or so, an "out of band" patch will be released to address this, once MS has a handle on what's going on and stops telling people to reinstall Windows--which has been noted in a few posts on other "help" forums I've read.

All of this prompts a Seinfeldian observation:

Why is it that the customer is always the first one to spot something like this and has to convince the manufacturer (OEM) that there's a problem? I mean, doesn't it stand to reason that at least one or two Microsoft employees would use a Windows-based computer and would also have stumbled upon this issue? Just once, I'd like to call a tech line and have the guy flip open his laptop and say, "well I'll be darned, mine just did that too," instead of telling me to try reinstalling my operating system.

OF
TopDogBrowser

Post by TopDogBrowser »

Just wanted to give a small update.

I decided to run the Disk Cleanup tool inc. clean up of System Files so I deselected the box for Windows Update Cleanup and ran it.
Before I shutdown for the day, I did another bit of cleanup that I do by removing all files in the, "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp" directory.

When I booted up my machine the next day, low and behold, I was prompted to reinstall KB3004375 and KB3031432 again.
I ran Disk Cleanup tool just to verify that it still shows 21.4 MB of data in Windows Update Cleanup:

Note: tried to paste image here but couldn't get it to work

For now, I am going to mark these two updates to not update until this problem is fixed.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

For future ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
Please keep the images to around 600 x 500 or so, or just post the [img] links.
Ta muchly.
;)

It seems as though MS made another stuff up with their latest updates.
Strange though, as I didn't strike any errors.....this time. Image
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
TopDogBrowser

Post by TopDogBrowser »

Thanks for the tip on screenshots... will try next time I need it.

Another update....

It would seem that the 21.4 MB of data in Windows Update Cleanup relates to KB3021952 and KB3032359 as I ran the full disk cleanup inc. system files and now I am prompted to re-install for a third time.

Just to summarize, it would appear that:

The 21.4 MB of data in Windows Update Cleanup relates to KB3021952 and KB3032359 and.....

some data in the directory, "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp" relates to KB3004375 and KB3031432 being re-installed.

I am now going to mark these two updates (or a total of 4) as well to not update until this problem is fixed.

Maybe Windows 10?
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Follow Up:

I just received three updates -- one and then two more.

The first was slugged "recommended" -- Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583) -- so I checked it it and installed it successfully. Then, as I normally do, I ran the update checker again.

Two more updates were indicated -- KB3004375 and KB3031432 -- the ones I posted about above.

I thought, what the hell, and downloaded and installed them. THIS time, KB3004375 not only appeared in the Updates History, but in the list of Installed Updates as well. KB3031432 shows as successfully installed in the history, but does not appear in the list of Installed Updates. Neither reappears when I check for new updates.

I guess this means that whatever prevented KB3004375 from (re)installing successfully--after whatever it was that Windows Advanced Cleanup did to them--was fixed by KB3035583. Hopefully, they're still working on KB3031432.

OF