Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Anonymosity

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by Anonymosity »

Lemon Juice wrote:
As to Findbar Tweak I added one change to the converter - the interface name "fuelIApplication" is named "smileIApplication" in SeaMonkey. This improved Findbar Tweak a little bit - I wouldn't say that it works in SM but at least it starts without errors and some minimal functionality is there - for example, customizing highlight colours works and also options for selections (selecting spaces, punctuation, etc.). The funny thing is that Findbar Tweak actually works (mostly) in View Source window!

It is possible to customize the highlight colours on a web page from about:config. I did that several years ago, and it works in both Firefox and SeaMonkey. The normal highlight setting also works in Thunderbird.
ui.textHighlightBackground = #CC00CC - for Findbar Highlight All
ui.textHighlightForeground = #FFFFFF
ui.textSelectBackground = #AACCFF - normal highlight
ui.textSelectForeground = #000000
ui.textSelectBackgroundAttention = #88FF88 - Findbar individual highlight
ui.textSelectForegroundAttention = #000000

The findbar notifications work in the View Source window, also in the Compose window. In fact, if the window content is coming from SeaMonkey itself, the notifications work. If it comes from a web page, there are no notifications.
Rollo_Tommasi

Post by Rollo_Tommasi »

Blank Your Monitor + Easy Reading 1.9.8
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... sy-readin/

Works after conversion.

:)
mrwislr

Post by mrwislr »

This is the greatest tool ever. I hope it gets mirrored it needs to be updated and live forever!
Martii

Post by Martii »

Just wanted to pop in and say this is definitely a clever idea.

I have been at bay for developing for SeaMonkey (SM) however this is about to change due to recent questionable slacking of the Firefox (Fx) project with continued bad moves especially requiring add-on (AO) developers to get permission to submit fixes to addons.mozilla.org (AMO) and their forks across-the-pond. See also:

Very nice addition to a more secure and reputable browser.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The topic you mention actually started here in the SeaMonkey section of the forum so most of the interested parties are already aware. SeaMonkey TMK doesn't really face as much of a problem with drive-by toolbars as Firefox since most malware/toolbar authors aren't going to bother with it.... it's the Linux model of security: be obscure enough that you aren't a target.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Martii

Post by Martii »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The topic you mention actually started here in the SeaMonkey section of the forum so most of the interested parties are already aware.

Good to know. What some may not know is the amount of hate and spiteful personal emails some of that team is doing when presented with valid and factual assessments. So far I've had a couple of spams from their team threatening my existence. It's unfortunate that the AMO team can't be reasonable on this. As a whole the Mozilla Foundation isn't all that bad but some recent moves with the AMO branch are questionable.

patrickjdempsey wrote:it's the Linux model of security: be obscure enough that you aren't a target.

Lol. :)

Anyhow... I need to go soon to see if an add-on that one of my clients use converts with this. *crosses fingers* ... wish me luck.
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

The Toolbar Buttons extension is listed under "Firefox extensions that work after conversion" but with strikeout text and the note: "this extension supports SeaMonkey natively since version 1.0.1 - no need to convert!". I tried version 1.0.2, and it does not work in SeaMonkey for the Add-ons button to open the SeaMonkey browser Add-ons Manager.
therube

Post by therube »

Toolbar Buttons 1.0.2 installs & works.
Buttons are found in 'Customize'.

Now maybe not all the buttons work & some may need a page refresh (like Toggle Images), but it works.

Addons does not work.

browser.xul:

Code: Select all

'addons://list/extension');"/>
  <toolbarbutton
   class="toolbarbutton-1"
   id="addons"
   label="&addons.label;"
   tooltiptext="&addons.tooltip;"
   onclick="toolbar_buttons.openExtensionTab(event);"
   command="Tools:Addons" />

Not that I know, but suppose if you modified onclick= to the correct code it might then work?

But then you could open about:addons & drag the icon to your Bookmarks Toolbar (or elsewhere) & it would give you the same functionality.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

Currently there is some discussion how to make converted add-ons available for users. Of course the most elegant was is that users convert latest add-on versions with the converter, but there are several disadventages and problems:
a) There is too few information concerning this possibility. On http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ and http://www.seamonkey.at/ the links directly lead to https://addons.mozilla.org/de/seamonkey/, where the converter is not mentioned. I will create a Wiki-page howing the alternatives, soon, and the links on the project pages should lead to the Wiki page
b) And also in the Mozilla add-ons repository no hint can be found concerning possibility to convert add-ons for Seamonkey. I mention the Converter in ratings, but that is not a very effective proceeding.
c) Some users might take fright concerning the proceeding with the conversion proceeding (although it is really very simple). So I am thinking about a repository with converted add-ons, currently I am doing a test at https://sourceforge.net/projects/seamonkeyaddons/ to find out how much work that would be, what problems might appear and so on. Please see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1143276

Are there any statistics how many users already use the converter?

Best regards

Rainer Bielefeld
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Maybe I should add another item to the list: Video Downloader professional. That works in SeaMonkey after conversion. It is a pretty good replacement for Video Downloadhelper.
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

Add-on Compatibility Reporter https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api will not work after conversions, no "Report Issue" Button inAdd-on manager. Should be listed under "Will not work after conversion.
patrickjdempsey

It's a totally useless thing anyway. Especially when it comes to SeaMonkey and this extensions. The reports are less than useless and difficult to get to. Mostly all the Addon Compatibility Reporter does is confuse users into thinking it's a good way to file reports with extension authors, which causes problems to go unfixed.

It also apparently doesn't work with Firefox 36 anyway.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

More to the point, it is Firefox specific. I would sincerely doubt if Mozilla would take notice of SeaMonkey extensions anyway.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

It was really nothing more than a marketing tool designed to give Mozilla statistics on whether addons were really "compatible" with Firefox after they started doing Rapid Releases. However, in my experience users would report addons as "compatible" when they weren't even remotely compatible, and "not compatible" if they just happened to be missing one tiny thing they wanted. So aside from just being a vanity project for generating statistics that they could use in marketing blogs, the reports and statistics themselves are woefully inaccurate. This project has all of the credibility of a campaign based on mailing in cereal box tops.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

patrickjdempsey wrote: This project has all of the credibility of a campaign based on mailing in cereal box tops.

I must disagree. When you sent in cereal box tops you got something in return. I still have fond memories of the "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" thing I got (although I don't remember what it was). Maybe they should offer tee-shirts.

That said, I do think project had good intentions. Mozilla is strong on initiatives and weak on follow though.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."