SeaMonkey Sync

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Roger Davis

SeaMonkey Sync

Post by Roger Davis »

Apparently there is no fix for Sync in the latest update.

Is this a lost cause, or???
Roger Davis

Re: SeaMonkey Sync

Post by Roger Davis »

Is sync fixed and working in 2.33.1 ?

If not, is there any schedule to get it working?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

You cannot set up a new Sync account or pair a device anymore (bug 998807). Workaround: Use an older version of SeaMonkey for such tasks for now.

SeaMonkey 2.33 Release Notes

Add yourself to the CC List of the bug so you will know when it is fixed.

998807 – Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
shicky256

Post by shicky256 »

From what I can tell, the easiest way to get Sync working now is:
1. Delete your SeaMonkey profile folder. This will make you lose all of your data.
2. Install 2.25.
3. Set up a sync account/join an existing one.
4. Go to Help>Check for updates after both computers are hooked up.
5. Enjoy.
It doesn't matter if the computer that created the account is on a version greater than 2.25, as long as the initial connection made was made on 2.25. This means that you can connect to an existing account, as long as the computer you are syncing the account to is on 2.25 or less. The computer that you're typing the code into can have a SeaMonkey version greater than 2.25.
Last edited by shicky256 on April 15th, 2015, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

shicky256 wrote:1. Delete your SeaMonkey profile folder.

Ummm... that's possibly the worst "step 1" I've ever seen. Why would you recommend for someone delete ALL of their data????
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
shicky256

Post by shicky256 »

I have set up this yesterday. When I didn't delete the profile folder prior to downgrading to 2.25, updating to a newer version of SeaMonkey makes your device become delinked from the sync account. You need to start from a profile that hasn't seen a version of SeaMonkey newer than 2.25.
patrickjdempsey

There are proper ways of creating a new profile and transferring data. If you DELETE the profile then there is no data to transfer because all of your data is gone forever bye-bye.

Also, on this forum we do not generally recommend downgrading versions because of several good reasons:

#1. Security. Old versions have known and published security vulnerabilities.

#2. Profile corruption. Downgrading can cause profile corruption which can lead to data loss... much worse problems than Sync not working.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
shicky256

Post by shicky256 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:There are proper ways of creating a new profile and transferring data. If you DELETE the profile then there is no data to transfer because all of your data is gone forever bye-bye.

This may be true, but since you're syncing all of your devices up to have the same profile, it doesn't matter if one device temporarily doesn't have a profile.

patrickjdempsey wrote:Also, on this forum we do not generally recommend downgrading versions because of several good reasons:

#1. Security. Old versions have known and published security vulnerabilities.

#2. Profile corruption. Downgrading can cause profile corruption which can lead to data loss... much worse problems than Sync not working.

#1: This technique is actually recommended by SeaMonkey.

That website that I just linked wrote:Attention! Starting with Firefox 29 (SeaMonkey 2.26), it is not possible anymore to set up legacy Sync accounts as described below. The new Sync back-end, which uses Firefox Accounts, is not supported by SeaMonkey yet. If you want to use Sync with both Firefox and SeaMonkey [NOTE: Or just Seamonkey], you will need to use an older version (e.g. Firefox 28 or SeaMonkey 2.25) to do the setup. Once Sync setup is complete, you may go back to using the current versions.

#2 doesn't really matter because I'm deleting the profile anyway to mitigate any such issues.

I'm just sharing what has worked for me to get a setup that works with Sync. Note that Mozilla intends to shut down the Legacy Sync servers in the near future, so I don't know what will happen then.
patrickjdempsey

What may have worked fine for you may cause another user to loose *all* of their data. Also, not *everything* in your profile is synced, so this method may cause instability or accidental data loss.

Ideally what someone should do is make a backup copy of their original profile first:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

There's also a list of files that are safe to transfer into different profiles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You know, this application allows to use different versions of SeaMonkey concurrently with different profiles...
(Documentation here.)

@shicky256: any reason using the standalone Profile Manager to create a (de facto) SeaMonkey 2.25-only profile wouldn't work here?
shicky256

Post by shicky256 »

It may work, but I don't want to lose my Sync account so I will not be trying it.
kmike

Post by kmike »

Every Seamonkey version after 2.26 shows Sync as not setup. Is it because Seamonkey disabled Sync for good in those versions?
Or do I have to perform the "delete profile" procedure as described by shicky256? But I will lose all email data with that.
patrickjdempsey

No. It is because Firefox folks migrated to a new Sync server and new Sync system and they haven't been very helpful with getting SeaMonkey moved over. Also incidentally, this is basically the same underlying reason why SeaMonkey is frozen at Gecko 36 while Firefox is now on 39. SeaMonkey should soon have the update channels fixed, and after all of that work is done, getting Sync back up and running will be another priority.
kmike

Post by kmike »

I'm aware that I can only set up and connect to Sync with version 2.25. Upgrading to 2.26 after that doesn't prevent Sync from working. However, upgrading to any later version de-links Sync again.

*edit* From the Seamonkey docs:
If you want to use Sync with both Firefox and SeaMonkey, you will need to use an older version (e.g. Firefox 28 or SeaMonkey 2.25) to do the setup. Once Sync setup is complete, you may go back to using the current versions.

The bolded part is failing for me for any version after 2.26.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

An additional complication is that Mozilla has told us that we are not allowed to use the Firefox FxA/Sync 1.5 servers (and the old Sync 1.1 servers are shutting down). So we are looking into setting up our own sync server. Currently we are all focused on getting a SeaMonkey 2.35 release out of the door so everything else is on the backburner.

Phil