downloads progress bar - how to see

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fbu924

downloads progress bar - how to see

Post by fbu924 »

Hello: earlybird latest (manual daily update, I never miss), so today it's 38.0a2 3-20-15, w8.1. In the last weeks, the download progress bar no longer appears. I download a lot of podcasts, & sometimes the host server gets bogged down. With the progress bar I could see that happen & try elsewhere or later. Now, I just have to guess. I looked in config ed & nothing jumped out at me, using search term "progress." Is there a fix or other adjustment? Thank you.
Paul L
WaltS48

Re: downloads progress bar - how to see

Post by WaltS48 »

Be happy to test if you provide a link to a podcast.

The only thing I download is the daily Lightning update. Download progress bar works there, but the Installation bar stays empty.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
fbu924

Post by fbu924 »

Thank you, WSL. Here's 3

http://www.rfi.fr/radiofr/podcast/Podcast_SOL.xml

I am advancing my french skills so 2 of these 3 are french public radio sites (en sol majeur is a double entendre, meaning "in G" as music and "on solid ground." About 20 MB/download, 1 hr. RFI. Sometimes RFI download does seriously bog down, so the progress bar is very useful to me for it.

http://radiofrance-podcast.net/podcast09/rss_10212.xml

La tête au carré (another double meaning. AKA #LaTAC). Outrageously intelligent & droll science show, I listen to it almost daily. 50 MB, 1 hr. France-Inter, a totally different/independent network than RFI, so I presume different servers at least.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/audio/scifriaudio.xml

44 MB.

I tried en sol majeur & SciFri just now, no progress bars. Nuff said.

Thanks again.
Paul L
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

First I added the first and third links as feeds to my Thunderbird 31.5.0. When I save an attachment the Downloads Window opens and I see a progress bar for each file I download.

Then I added the same feeds to Earlybird 38.0a2; Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.0a2 ID:20150321004005 CSet: 2947dd6c9e50. When I save an attachment I do not see a Downloads Window with a progress bar.

The only indication I have anything is downloading and finished is the flickering light on my DSL modem, which if I am listening to music or downloading something from Usenet would not be any help.

Can't even find a Downloads menu item in case I wanted to clear the downloads list from the Downloads Window in either version.

Edit: I noticed in a test of saving attachments from email accounts using Thunderbird 31.5.0, does not open the downloads window, but the saved attachment appears in the downloads window when I save one of the files from the RSS feed. Strange. :?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rubelin

Post by rubelin »

Just updated to 38.0.5 and the download window has disappeared entirely. I can't find anywhere to re-set it to show up.
skodave

Post by skodave »

The problem is still present on 38.3.0, I normally use only the stable versions and updated from 31.7 where the download status bar for news/rss works fine. I tried TB Beta 42 and EarlyBird 43 but the problem is still present, should I forgot that useful feature? Is there any way to fix/replicate it? Is there any other way to report this "problem" to be checked and maybe fixed by the developers?