[Ext/dev] Old Addon Manager

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Exalm

[Ext/dev] Old Addon Manager

Post by Exalm »

OAM attempts to bring Firefox 3.x-style addon manager window to the latest SeaMonkey, Firefox and Thunderbird.

It's work in progress, so a number of things may be wrong or different. The basic functionality works, however.
This is NOT a port. It uses some pieces of old Toolkit code, but it's a modification of the current UI.

Screenshot:

AMO page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/old-addon-manager/

Github repository:
https://github.com/Exalm/old-addon-manager

Stylish, Greasemonkey or Scriptish categories may look wrong. I will provide explicit support for them in future versions.

Please report any noticed bugs.
Last edited by Exalm on July 3rd, 2015, 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Exalm

Re: [ext/dev] Old Addon Manager 0.1

Post by Exalm »

Currently Install button is only visible in Thunderbird, like in original. Should I add an option to show it everywhere?
Exalm

Re: [Ext/dev] Old Addon Manager 0.1

Post by Exalm »

0.1 is preliminary reviewed now! And I have added Stylish support for 0.2.

Edit: Added Greasemonkey support too. Scriptish works out of the box.
Are there any other addons with similar "integration"?
11ryanc

Post by 11ryanc »

Working great for me in FF 36 and SeaMonkey. Have it paired with various other extensions and settings to give a FF 3.x facelift. Well done.
btw is this addon still being developed?
Browsers: Firefox ESR , Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, Chromium (testing purposes).
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Unlikely. I'll probably rewrite it, forking extension manager completely rather than applying tons of hacks. But only after I finish changeable fallback icon themes for GNOMErunner/GTK Revived, events/tasks sidebar for Lightbird and also sidebar for MailNews and Address Book. (posted preliminary patches on bugzilla for feedback, but not for review yet)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Exalm wrote:Unlikely. I'll probably rewrite it, forking extension manager completely rather than applying tons of hacks. But only after I finish changeable fallback icon themes for GNOMErunner/GTK Revived, events/tasks sidebar for Lightbird and also sidebar for MailNews and Address Book. (posted preliminary patches on bugzilla for feedback, but not for review yet)

Oh, yes. As I said you need to request feedback/review from someone in particular. I'll set the flags appropriately.

Also have you seen my Thunderbird extension xSidebar for Thunderbird:
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/xsidebar-for-thunderbird/

Phil
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Philip Chee wrote:
Exalm wrote:Unlikely. I'll probably rewrite it, forking extension manager completely rather than applying tons of hacks. But only after I finish changeable fallback icon themes for GNOMErunner/GTK Revived, events/tasks sidebar for Lightbird and also sidebar for MailNews and Address Book. (posted preliminary patches on bugzilla for feedback, but not for review yet)

Oh, yes. As I said you need to request feedback/review from someone in particular. I'll set the flags appropriately.
Okay, I'll do better next time. :) A question: if I want to fix many really small things in the themes (mostly long-standing 2.0 regressions, like missing sidebar tab "grippy" texture in classic or lack of menubar grippy press effect or blurry home button in modern etc), do I have to open bugs for each of those (there will be really many of them) or is it ok to do something like "Classic theme regressions" and "Modern theme regressions"?

Also have you seen my Thunderbird extension xSidebar for Thunderbird:
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/xsidebar-for-thunderbird/

Phil
Not sure what you want to say with it. Yes, I've seen it, but isn't it abandoned? BTW, why? It seems perfectly valid for the later TB versions, and for SM as well. Was there a breakage?
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Ok, I've started rewriting it. So far goes well. Since it's a complete fork this time, I'm able to change its structure. I've already killed Discover and on my way to kill Details page. That page also contains inline settings for some addons, but I think this will do it as well (clickable):
Last edited by Exalm on July 1st, 2015, 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You might consider providing the homepage link as well. Also, some extensions have very long options.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Well, there is "about" dialog. I wonder how it hasn't been removed yet, but it's fully functional. It has home page link.
Actually the settings dialog is based on the about dialog, as you can see by its title and header. :D

BTW, the backend still works with theme previews, but there is a bug that causes them to be 0 width and height.
They are mixed up with AMO screenshots, so if a preview is missing (a lot of themes don't have a preview now), a screenshot from AMO will show up instead.
Edit: I've got it to work with correct size and aspect ratio. You don't have to specify the size at all, and the new addon manager has to control that so that the screenshots don't stretch the details page. Here the image is contained in a scrollbox, so it can be of any size.
Screenshot:
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Exalm wrote:Well, there is "about" dialog.

Huh. I don't think I've ever right-clicked on the addons manager before. Never knew that existed.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Huh. I don't think I've ever right-clicked on the addons manager before. Never knew that existed.
Well, details pane is gone in OAM now, so that dialog is the main way of getting the info now.
Neverthless, I added the home link to the options dialog as well.

Edit: Status report for today (Every image clickable):

Still remaining:
1. Remove individual addon install/uninstall/update/etc messages, replace with a notification under the category list.
2. Implement update release notes in the side pane.
3. Add overlays to compensate #ifdefs for platform-specific button placement.
4. ????
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Pushed the code to the github repo.

Test build: Link
Note: It can be invoked with Tools->Addon Manager menu or Ctrl+Shift+A, but not by opening about:addons.

Could anyone explain me what exactly Telemetry Experiments are, are they available in SeaMonkey and where can I get a test addon of that type for testing?
Currently I can't get them to work neither in SeaMonkey nor Firefox. (both nightly)

Phil, If you want to include something like this by default, I can make it into a patch when I finish with the new version.
However, there are some issues:

If we do this, it'll probably be unappropriate to override toolkit addon manager, so it will go to suite/common/extensions/ or a similar location. Because of that, extensions like Stylish will break heavily, since they rely very much on their overlays and styles.
For example, here is what Stylish looks like right now without its overlay:
Screenshot
It's basically non-functional. You can only enable/disable or delete styles.

That was a problem with the old version as well, but to a lesser extent, because the addon manager was just a hack on the toolkit one, so the overlays were still applied, just messed up.

2. There is a slight functionality loss with it. I made sure the autoupdate can be turned on and off both globally and per-addon before removing Details view, but, for example, Recent Updates are gone.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Exalm wrote:Pushed the code to the github repo.

Test build: Link
Note: It can be invoked with Tools->Addon Manager menu or Ctrl+Shift+A, but not by opening about:addons.

Not WFM.

Code: Select all

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 57, Column 7:      <menuitem id="menuitem_debugItem" command="cmd_debugItem"
------^
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)