Couple problems i've experience with 1.0.3

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
djpage

Couple problems i've experience with 1.0.3

Post by djpage »

1. Certain web page graphics do not completly load. Especially ebay. All graphics only show as a small box with an pic icon in it.

2. I can not download anything with 1.0.3, and it has blocked IE from downloading also.

This is not just isolated to my desktop. Same exact thing happens on my laptop. I switched back to 1.0.2 and everything works fine.
richards1052

Re: Couple problems i've experience with 1.0.3

Post by richards1052 »

djpage wrote:I switched back to 1.0.2 and everything works fine.
I'd like to switch back to that version to. How did you find 1.0.2 to install after you'd upgraded to 1.0.3??
djpage

Post by djpage »

i didn't find it, i kept it after upgrading from 1.0.1
dshillis

Post by dshillis »

I have had the same problems with 1.0.3 not loading anything. Funny, on my Macs this hasn't been a problem, but it is with WinXP. Here is where you can redownload 1.0.2 ... http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... n32/en-US/
dshillis

overwriting 1.0.3 back to 1.0.2

Post by dshillis »

dshillis wrote:I have had the same problems with 1.0.3 not loading anything. Funny, on my Macs this hasn't been a problem, but it is with WinXP. Here is where you can redownload 1.0.2 ... http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... n32/en-US/
Further info...I just tried downloading and installing this file directly...it overwrote 1.0.3 (seemingly, so far) without a problem! Whew...hope they get this bug fixed before too long, though, in 1.0.3...
djpage

Post by djpage »

UPDATE: the problems with 1.0.3 i have learned were firewall related. I shut off cookie control, Ad blocking and Mobile Control (which controls embedded objects, scripts, and javascripts) I run CA eTrust firewall and antivirus, and now i can download and web page objects/graphics load without any problem. I reupdated to 1.0.3 (kept the 1.0.2 installer just in case though). Check your firewall settings for those items if you are having the same problems.
cold-steel

Post by cold-steel »

I also have got the problem that i can't load some graphic files since i upgraded to 1.0.3. An example is the header of the german web portal http://web.de
I installed FireTune 1.01 in 1.0.2 and "optimized" Firefox. Perhabs that is the source of the problems, but i don't think so because i re-enabled a non-optimized backup configuration and the problems kept on. On my fathers pc (without FireTune), everything works well.
Re-Installing would be the last step for me because i really don't want to retype all saved passwords. I don't use FireWall or anything.
Could someone help / tell a way to solve it / show a bug report or anything?

cold-steel
LIBERTY
Taborri

Post by Taborri »

I'm not opening anything on Mozilla Browser since update. I checked my firewall settings and they do show I have allowed (and saved) setting to allow browser. So I must turn off the ad blocking, cookie control and mobile controll on my antivirus? This makes it so that our browser has more control over our computer than our firewall/antivirus. I'm upset that Mozilla didn't learn it's lesson after the last update fiasco. I think Mozilla needs to be more deferential as opposed to aggressive with regards to its position in the scheme of things, with regards to the rights and needs of us consumers. <shrug>
Taborri
Taborri=Voices That Carry
Taborri

Post by Taborri »

I am not finding how to turn off Cookie Control, Ad blocking, and Mobile Code Control on my eTrust firewall. Question: IF I do turn off cookie control, ad blocking, and mobile code control on my firewall, why will this not increase my computer succeptability to increased cookie installation, spyware, etc.? Mozilla is NOT the only browser I use-- as evidenced by the fact that I ~AM~ online now-- thanks to IE. Will turning these components off on my firewall only allow for my computer's protection from them when I'm running Mozilla, and not another browser? This concerns me. I am so used to my Mozilla browser, and enjoy the bookmarks and opening in tabs and such, but I'm afraid I will be forced to use another browser if Mozilla can't update so that we clients are able to use our firewall's full services.
Taborri=Voices That Carry
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I'm upset that Mozilla didn't learn it's lesson after the last update fiasco.

I'd phrase that a little differently. I'd have said, "I'm dismayed that users that had firewall problems last time did not learn how to properly configure the firewall program they are relying upon to protect them".

Please understand. If something you have installed on your system prevents Firefox from accessing the internet, the fault does not lie with Firefox. There is no way for Firefox to configure your firewall for you.

"Checking the settings" in Firewalls and Antivirus programs is often not enough. When you check your set up, yep, looks like FFox or TBird has all the permissions it needs, but that's the OLD version. Many recognize an updated FFox or TBird is not the same program that you have already granted internet permissions to. This is a GOOD thing, as if it finds a program has been modified (perhaps by a virus infection) it doesn't let the program access the net. That's just what you want it to do. It's smart enough not to give permission to an unauthorized program, but often is too stupid to ask you what to about it when the program trying to access the net has the same name as one with permissions.

Some such utilities may automatically recognize the footprint of the new program with their next update and allow it to access the net without intervention on your part -- if you're willing to wait. Otherwise, try deleting all mention of FFox/TBird from the firewall/AV configuration and let the firewall/AV rediscover FFox/TBird the next time you use it.

Depending on the utility, deactivating the firewall/av for testing may just shut down the user interface but still leave the basic utility running in the background, so your tests may not be showing what you think they are.

Please see this excellent existing post by VanillaMozilla (it was written for Firefox, but applies equally well to Thunderbird), even if you're certain yours is not a firewall problem:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 21#2295421
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Taborri wrote:I am not finding how to turn off Cookie Control, Ad blocking, and Mobile Code Control on my eTrust firewall. Question: IF I do turn off cookie control, ad blocking, and mobile code control on my firewall, why will this not increase my computer succeptability to increased cookie installation, spyware, etc.?

I am not familiar with eTrust firewall. If these things are configurable on a program by program basis, then turning them off for Firefox will not affect their settingss for other programs. If they are only configurable for the firewall as a whole, then, yes, turning them off will affect the entire installation. These are questions for eTrust, not Mozilla.

As a side note. You may wish to remove the email address from your signature. Spammers harvest public forums like this, looking for new target email addresses. People can email and PM you via your profile.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Taborri

Post by Taborri »

Makai Guy Doug wrote: I'd have said, "I'm dismayed that users that had firewall problems last time did not learn how to properly configure the firewall program they are relying upon to protect them".

So Makai Doug, what I hear you saying is "Mozilla is not a browser which is for those who do not have significant technical computer use skills." Those average users who don't have time to learn to do advanced tasks need not bother us. Do I hear you correctly? Doug, I'm a 49 year old housewife running a household with 2 ADHD teens, a cardiac patient DH, and I'm most likely somewhere in between. I get up at 0530 and go to bed past midnight. I enjoy corresponding by email and surfing the web for informative helps in my spare downtime, plus I find the web very helpful with regards to keeping informed and communicating with school, my part-time job, etc.

I was forced to dump AOL/McAfee and use the antivirus which Road Runner has given us to use, but does not work properly and their Help Desk folks are atrocious. Where did I go wrong? What caused me to deserve your rath? No, I don't believe I am obligated to keep on top of a browser company's technical expertise. I have already changed my default browser-- unless, of course, someone can give me information on what and where to set things. I surfed around the Firewall settings. I could not find a location to set/reset any of those 3 things mentioned above. Have a pleasant evening. Make mine a double, please.
trolly

Post by trolly »

You can unpack and run this utility and then post the result. We may find out which firewall you really have and give you more detailed hints.
http://www.trolly.homepage.t-online.de/EnumProcess.zip
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Taborri - No you don't hear me correctly.

The basic concept for a web browser, at least from a user perspective, is fairly simple. It sends out a request for the information you require over the net. And when the information comes back it displays it for you. All that is required is an active net connection.

But your system probably has extra stuff that you have chosen to install that comes between the browser and the net. Firewalls and antivirus programs are two such examples, which have become necessary because of the bad guys out there.

When the fairly straightforward function of the browser has to pass through these OTHER items on your system, then the correct configuration of these other items becomes vital. This is not something any browser can do for you, it is something you must do yourself. You're trying to blame the browser because the firewall is not letting the browser access the net, when the proper blame should be placed on the firewall and its configuration. You should be having these same conversations with your firewall support people, not here.

But nonetheless, many of us here (we're all users, just like you, trying to help other users) are putting in long hours trying to help people with troubles get through them, even if the fault lies somewhere other than the browser. I'm trying to help you understand the nature of the problem so that you will have a chance to be able to address it. I am not criticizing you or your lack of knowledge about this stuff - we all have to start somewhere. But getting your nose out of joint at some imagined insult instead of digging in and trying to comprehend the help that is offered isn't going to get you anywhere.

You might as well learn how this works, because you're going to need it every time the program is updated.

Did you try this?
.. try deleting all mention of FFox/TBird from the firewall/AV configuration and let the firewall/AV rediscover FFox/TBird the next time you use it.
Doug Wilson
Taborri

Post by Taborri »

Trolly, Per your EnumProcess:

[System Process]

Keep in mind the AOL and the McAfee in there are bogus: I have attempted to remove and block all AOL and McAfee from my computer and like a leech, I see they keep appearing. They are blocked on my firewall as well. I'm ticked to see them there..... HP is my printer but I also blocked the digital Imaging as I have no need for it at present. eTrust EZarmor is my firewall, the only one Road Runner recommends with our server. I have little choice in that per my present level of computer expertise. Thanks. Taborri
Last edited by Taborri on June 7th, 2006, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.