Update for 2.33.1 Seamonkey seen as a virus by Norton 360

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
lookat

Update for 2.33.1 Seamonkey seen as a virus by Norton 360

Post by lookat »

Norton 360 thought the Seamonkey update was a virus and quarantined it. I had to remove the file from quarantine to make Seamonkey work properly. What causes this false positive with updates. This happened the last update as well, although after telling Norton to disregard the file as suspicious and allow it Norton did regard this update file as suspicious and severity of high. Why did this happen? Any information would be appreciated.
DanRaisch

Re: Update for 2.33.1 Seamonkey seen as a virus by Norton 36

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.

The problem is on the Norton side. This is not the first instance of Norton not recognizing an update as an approved application and either blocking or quarantining it. There's a discussion in another topic that noted that Norton is at least 4 to 6 months behind in keeping current with browser updates.
lookat

Post by lookat »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to SeaMonkey Support.

The problem is on the Norton side. This is not the first instance of Norton not recognizing an update as an approved application and either blocking or quarantining it. There's a discussion in another topic that noted that Norton is at least 4 to 6 months behind in keeping current with browser updates.
thank you . I will check it out in a Norton forum. Okay now at least I am not worried. I appreciate your timely response to my inquiry.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

And this isn't just because SeaMonkey is a small browser. They did the exact same thing to Firefox on the previous update. And Norton isn't the only guilty party. Symantec firewall software is causing Firefox crashes and hangs, and last year an Avast tool deleted people's Firefox extensions. It's getting down right ridiculous lately.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
NortonSupport

Post by NortonSupport »

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. Can you please submit the file to us at http://www.Norton.com/fp so we can take a look at it. Meanwhile, I'll check with the team to see how best we can fix this.

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Can you either go away or help? This is becoming both tiresome and is beginning to look like spam.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
James

Post by James »

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.33/#issues
Windows:
Norton/Symantec anti-virus scanners may report that some parts of SeaMonkey (e.g. the file freebl3.dll) are suspicious. If you downloaded SeaMonkey from one of the official download sites, this is a false alarm. You might experience problems with secure websites when this happens. To fix the issue, instruct your anti-virus software to ignore these files (and move them out of quarantine) and/or switch to another anti-virus software and reinstall SeaMonkey.

This has been a problem with Norton for at least a few years now (as to why above is listed in SM Release Notes for a good while now) and Symantec has yet to fix it. It even occurs with Firefox on occasions as I have seen a few posts with Norton and Firefox 36.0.x
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

NortonSupport wrote:Sorry for the trouble. Can you please submit the file to us ...

You have been told in another thread where the downloads are located, thus it's not a secret. Please just get a copy of the installer and the MAR update files, then you should have everything needed for analysis.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

LoudNoise wrote:Can you either go away or help? This is becoming both tiresome and is beginning to look like spam.

Looks like they want to collect e-mail addresses while receiving reports of "false positive". I'm done with Symantec years ago because Norton was making things not accessible by sysadmin (let alone false positive alerts). Now I've got Eset NOD32 AntiVirus and it fits me very well... 8-)
--
lookat

Post by lookat »

Thank you all for your help. I simply removed the Seamonkey update that was in quarantine and checked it to be ignored in the future by Norton. Now my browser, that is, Seamonkey, is working fine. Of course I have no idea what will happen when the next update comes but I am prepared to repeat the same steps as mentioned to remedy it once again. Plus, after getting Seamonkey back up and running like it should I ran anti-virus scan and it found nothing in the computer except, of course, the usual tracking cookies. Thank you once more.