Cant access Gmail after change security settings on Gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
b22c

Cant access Gmail after change security settings on Gmail

Post by b22c »

Hi, i just update my security settings on Gmail, remove all the apps permissions. Now i cant access my gmail account trought thunderbird, it says i have to insert the password but after i insert the pass, it says its wrong and i cant access.
I try to remove the account from TB and add a new one but it says that cant verify my password to login...
What can i do? Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Cant access Gmail after change security settings on Gmai

Post by DanRaisch »

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choices for "Connection security" and "Authentication method" under Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
b22c

Post by b22c »

TB 31.5.0

Error login in imap.googlemail.com (3 Choices: Try again, insert new password, cancel)

Server name imap.googlemail.com
Port nnumber: 993

Connection security: ssl/tls
Authentication method: normal password

Also have a pop up on bottom left saying:
Alert: login via your browser
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
b22c

Post by b22c »

I do that but is says the same, could be a cache problem? After i delete the password i restart the computer but says the same...
b22c

Post by b22c »

I disable secure login on gmail and now i can login in TB but if i enable secure login i cant. Is there a way of i have secure login and can login trough TB? thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See if anything here is helpful -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2852231
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Google's "secure login" is a non-standard protocol that Google is promoting to help share information across all Google applications. As far as I know, this is not really any more secure than the secure protocols that have been used in email for years, but it does have some benefits for Google.

TBird doesn't yet have support for this protocol, but it's being worked on. From memory, I think this is supposed to hit in version 38 in a few months. Meanwhile just set your account to "allow less secure apps" and use the standard protocols you've used for years.

See this post for further details see the post Dan referred you to above.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DrHow

Post by DrHow »

It's happening again! I had to allow less secure apps which I had not been doing.

What's the deal this time? Yet some other new protocol which needs to be implemented?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

No. I'd assume you changed something, perhaps without understanding the implications.

If the authentication method is "normal password" you need to enable "less secure app" (its a misleading phrase, mainly used to promote Googles software). If you select "OAuth2" instead you don't need to do that, but need to make certain the Thunderbird doesn't disables cookies for google.com. Normally they're enabled by default. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail

I assume you didn't enable two step verification (sends a code to your smartphone). If you did you need to use a app specific password rather than the real gmail password.

Next time please create a new thread rather than add a post to a thread over a year old. These forums aren't high traffic, your thread would not get ignored.