Secure Connection Failed

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
therube

Re: Secure Connection Failed

Post by therube »

security.tls.version.fallback-limit

Setting it to '0' "allows" the site to work.
(I didn't test any other values.)

And that said ...

(Filed on the SeaMonkey end, Bug 1123673) There are no such "secure" fallbacks. TLS version fallbacks are inherently insecure.

KB: Security.tls.version.*

IOW, the correct way to fix this issue is to get the site in question to update their end!

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... ySearch.do

(I think its a crime that the Criminal Records Bureau is insecure ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Debskinner

Post by Debskinner »

Have searched for security.warn_viewing_mixed - it's not there...
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Maybe this set to false > security.mixed_content.block_active_content
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Debskinner wrote:Have searched for security.warn_viewing_mixed - it's not there...

FWIW ... I have it in my prefs.js file but it's already set to false... and I was still having the problem...in that profile... but looking into a fairly new test profile I don't have it either... so, maybe it's an old/unused setting that's sitting in there.

Did you check on what therube posted? ... I do have that on in all profile-prefs.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Debskinner

Post by Debskinner »

Hi
Thanks dfoulkes for reminding me that I hadn't tried what therube posted - tried it & ALL GOOD!
Thanks for all your help
Much appreciated
Deb
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

In the name of ALL .... You're Welcome! :D
atryeu

Post by atryeu »

I wanted to post and say I am having this same issue on a different site as well in Firefox and IE. I tried starting in safe mode with no add-ons, temporarily disabled firewall and anti virus in case they were the cause and no luck. I also upgraded from 36.01 to 37 tonight and still have the same problem.

But, other people in the group for the exact same website can get in with the same versions of browser as I have without the error. Why would others be able to access the same area without error but I get the security error? This is a brand new clean system, I hadn't tried to load the site before so no errors with the profile, cache, cookies, etc. The only difference between when I could access it on the old computer and not being able to on this one is that I was running XP before and now I'm stuck with 8.1 :(
atryeu

Post by atryeu »

Sorry for an extra post but apparently the post had to be approved by a mod first so I can't just edit my last one.

I went into about:config and edited the value for security.tls.version.fallback-limit like suggested in the first post of Page 2, closed and reopened the browser and I still get the exact same error when I try and access the page.

The link I'm trying to access by the way is: https://launchpad.37signals.com/signin to login to my group's Basecamp project page. From the Basecamp group page, it bounces me over to that other link to login and that's where I get the security error.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I wanted to post and say I am having this same issue on a different site as well in Firefox and IE.

Since you are having this problem with Firefox and IE ... it doesn't look to be a specific Firefox issue but more system-central related...

Doing some of that Firewall/AV disabling doesn't normally close off everything... but if you reboot your PC into safe-mode with Networking ... and then try that one site... it should indicate something-more... just test on that one site.

Also... You mention Firefox and IE ... you could also pull down a portable version of Chrome and see what happens... this link points to Firefox portable but if you search around you will find Chrome... those portable apps. do not install like normal stuff so you can just aim Chrome to a folder under your user-name... maybe create a Portable named folder...

Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives
atryeu

Post by atryeu »

I booted up in Safe Mode and tried again and still get the same error. I'm not having any problems on any other secure site, just that one :(

I went ahead and just installed my last version of Chrome I had before my old computer died. I didn't really plan on using it since I don't like Google. I get a similar error though trying to load that page. Both Chrome and IE word the security error a bit different but it looks to be the same problem.

I don't really know what the problem is, but I am having a hard time finding references online to the error I get in Firefox. This thread was one of the few results I was able to find that was recent so I posted here. I sort of figured it wasn't strictly a Firefox issue since it happened in IE as well, and now Chrome, but I need access to this site and I really don't know what could be the cause.

Like I said before, I'd used XP for years (and never had this error) and we suddenly had to get a new computer running Win 8.1 and I really dont' know the system very well still. To top it off I am on dialup where I live and it's a struggle to get around online and find much. :(
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah... Win8 was not one of the best OS's put out... FYI... Win10 has gotten very good reviews and M.S. is going to give it out 'free' you and I soon... in case you didn't know.

I'd start looking at some of your built-in Windows security stuff... and BTW ... what Firewall and AV products do you have running in there?

You mentioned this before....
The link I'm trying to access by the way is: https://launchpad.37signals.com/signin to login to my group's Basecamp project page. From the Basecamp group page, it bounces me over to that other link to login and that's where I get the security error.

What other link are you referring to?

You might also look at your Hosts file to see if anything in there matches that site that you have an issue with.

Have you talked to your ISP? ... maybe they are having an issue with that site? ... I do know that their systems contain a ton of info pertaining to sites... maybe the problem is at their end?

Is your system a desktop or a laptop?
atryeu

Post by atryeu »

I heard about Win 10 but don't know much about it. Unless I can get a "free" copy on disc I won't be able to get it on my dialup connection though LoL

The firewall is just the basic one that comes with Windows and for the AV I use the free Avast version which is at this very moment, just 1 version behind (I've heard too many problems about the latest update so I'm holding off for now, but the virus definitions are kept up to date daily).

The actual page I try and get to is my Basecamp's Project page. https://www.basecamp.com/ followed by the particular group's project number. Since I'm not currently logged in, it bounces me to the https://launchpad.37signals.com/signin page where I am supposed to login and that is where I get the security error that the OP also listed.

Where would I find the Hosts file?

No, I haven't talked to the ISP yet since I thought it was a Firefox issue to begin with, until I got the same thing in IE. I was able to load the site a few days before the old computer went down though. I had been trying to get windows updates and such on here for the last 2 weeks or so now and just recently had been trying to access the site again.

I have a desktop. We got stuck with a prebuilt computer this time instead of building one ourselves again. This one is a Dell I3000 (Model # I3847).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to MozillaZine Tech. As the problem appears in three major browsers it is clearly not a Firefox Support issue.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Is Avast also set to block links or filter for "safe" websites
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
atryeu

Post by atryeu »

DanRaisch: I probably should have started my own thread, sorry. I didn't think the problem was going to be so complicated and I saw somebody else already had posted about the exact same error I was getting....

JayhawksRock: I believe Avast is set to filter for safe sites. I haven't gone in and customized much since Win 8 is such a big confusing mess for me to figure out still, and the Avast UI is so much different than what it looked like before so I'm having trouble finding where certain settings are. But, I did start the computer in safe mode which disabled Avast and I was still getting that error.

I can't try the ISP tech support for a bit about the problem. Their Live Chat never connects me to anybody and with spring break starting my nephew is going to be hovering around all day. I don't know if I'll get a chance to call next week. I might be able to call tomorrow afternoon. Tech support hours are already over for today :(