cant play sounds with firefox

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Methen

cant play sounds with firefox

Post by Methen »

I am trying to create a test website that will have a mp3 playing in the back ground hidden when I go to it with firefox all I get is a small black square and no sound when I go to it with ether ie or google chrome it works fine I did a little research and I was told I needed a windows media plugin for firefox which I found and installed it did not install like a regular firefox plugin but like a regular but it did not show up in the plugin list, Iam thinking it was to old, what I downloaded was located here:

http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/ ... n-download

Can anyone offer any suggestions iam using firefox 37 on a xp pro machine with xp3
if any one wants to go the test site I made let me know and Ill pm you the address...
DanRaisch

Re: cant play sounds with firefox

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Web Development.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Okay, the first problem is "hidden" as Firefox will not instantiate a truly hidden object. You could go for unobtrusive. Or visible -- why take away the user's control? This thread on SuMo has more detail about the "hidden" problem: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1052133

Regarding which plugin is used, Firefox can play MP3s natively on Windows XP using DirectShow and on later Windows versions using Media Foundation. On Linux/Mac, maybe GStreamer will play it. So that's one possibility. If you prefer an object/embed approach, there are various players that will play MP3s.

With respect to the Windows Media Player plugin specifically, the installer was never updated for a folder structure change in Firefox. See this article for more info: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/windows- ... ed-working
Methen

Post by Methen »

Well I tried making the change in the browser about config, reinstalled the plugin which still does not show in the plugin list and even converting the mp3 a wav file and none of that works, it would seem to me the simple approach would be to simply update the windows media plug in, Unless you may know another plug in that will work...
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Maybe it's not your Firefox, but any Firefox that will have this issue. Do you want to provide a link to the page?
Methen

Post by Methen »

Please check your pm for link I also think I may have discover part of the problem...
Methen

Post by Methen »

Please check your pm for link I also think I may have discover part of the problem...
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Thanks for the link. On my Firefox, the embed tag (which does not specify a content type) is assigned to the QuickTime plugin, which is the plugin which handles audio/mpeg media (the content type specified by the server). This is on Windows 7, but I think anyone with the QuickTime plugin likely would experience the same.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Thanks for the link. On my Firefox, the embed tag is assigned to the QuickTime plugin, which is the plugin which handles audio/mpeg media (the content type specified by the server). This is on Windows 7, but I think anyone with the QuickTime plugin likely would experience the same.
Methen

Post by Methen »

So did the sound work for you, I do not have quick time...
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Yes, it worked for me using QuickTime. If you type or paste about:plugins in the address bar and press Enter, Firefox should list all the different content types handled by your various plugins. Do any of them handle audio/mpeg ?
Pim

Post by Pim »

As far as I'm aware, Firefox can play .ogg files natively, without needing any plugins. So is it an option to translate the .mp3 files to .ogg?
Groetjes, Pim