George colludes with Bing

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Grumpus

George colludes with Bing

Post by Grumpus »

logged in as the Bing Bot, not once but more than 3 times when trying to get to the index page.
Tried most of the tricks but it seemed abnormally persistent.
Just a mention. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
rsx11m

Re: George colludes with Bing

Post by rsx11m »

Same for me, rather reproducibly 5 times in a row or so, with cookies cleared on exit every time.
According to kerz, servers have been moved recently - not sure if this may be a side effect.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

&, another thing I've noticed, is that when replying to a post, sometimes it does not appear straight away.
eg; Waiting for mozillazine etc etc.
& if you get tired of waiting...& "re-post" the message appears twice.
Weird.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

^Next time it happens, see if googlesyndication is still loading. The action seems to complete but "Waiting" message seems to be waiting for the ads to load.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Prior and during this blocking Googlesyndication and the pageads.
Might be something else unless not allowing syndication causes the issue.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

rsx11m wrote:Same for me, rather reproducibly 5 times in a row or so, with cookies cleared on exit every time.

Gone for me now.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Something else must have caught George's attention, probably some randy code elsewhere. ;)
No issue here today as well.
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

Post by kerz »

I cleared all old sessions last night, as well as the cache. He's back in his cave for the time being.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

He has a front loader .... :)
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Well now I'm getting this...
EDIT This is twice now today, third time recently; all 3 times happened after kerz's post in this thread.

Just FYI.
Not a huge deal to me, I just log out from Bing [Bot] and then log in as barbaz and it's all good.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Looks like he's at it again, Bing robot login and no change from page after post.
just sems to get hung up and not go through but after a dump and reload of Firefox back on again but with the You have been banned notice.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

After logging out of the 'zine and going to another forum, logging out of there and hitting the bookmark for Mozillazine was logged in as the Bing Bot, this appears to be repeatable.
Add to that Logging out as the Bing Bot, clearing everything, closing Firefox, which supposed clears everything according to my settings, re-opening Firefox and clicking on the Mozillazine bookmark I was logged in as the Google Bot. Logged out as the Google bot, went to about:blank, cleared history and hit the bookmark whcih gave me the index page to log in.

I seem to remember there was an issue with Firefox a number of years ago where sometimes the icons would take on the appearance and in some cases the properties of a formerly visited site and I'm just throwing this out there as it may be what is contributing to George's antics.