Phoenix rename proposal

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
shoestring

Post by shoestring »

aengblom wrote:I don't like Arias. It's clean and lifeless. It's like all these new companies that are making names (often with "a's" or "v's"

I.E.

Accenture,
Visteon.

Icky trend
Decidedly icky. For one thing, makes it very difficult to remember which company is which ... I swear, when Borland became Inprise (?), I couldn't remember the new name for years, and I'm still not quite sure of it.

That said, (a) I am tired of saurians, thus was most pleased when I came across Phoenix (sigh); (b) the first graphical browser I got my hands on was Cello -- maybe somebody could do something with that. OTOH, Mozilla and family are direct descendants of the second one I used, i.e. NCSA Mosaic, which might give somebody an idea as well (IE is also a direct descendant of Mosaic, but we won't mention that!).
Bill Phillips
Sexagenarian Boy Genius
Geekhaven, Massachusetts
Jedi Knight

Post by Jedi Knight »

It's a good name.
MXN

Post by MXN »

laszlo wrote:
Blake wrote:I know some people think we should try to find a name that's intimately tied with the idea of surfing the Internet, and that's fine, except someone has yet to suggest such a name.

Isn't "Mariner" such a name? From dictionary.com (again):

"One who navigates or assists in navigating a ship."

It sounds good to me, but nobody else seemed to like it anyhow.

(I haven't had the time to read the whole thread, so I'm hoping that no one's mentioned this yet:)

According to <a href="http://www.pcai.com/web/site_info/pcai_sites_browser_info.html">PC AI - WWW Browser Info Sites</a>, Mariner Browser was a web browser made by <a href="http://www.ncd.com/">NCD</a>. They don't make it anymore.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

MXN wrote:(I haven't had the time to read the whole thread, so I'm hoping that no one's mentioned this yet:)

According to <a href="http://www.pcai.com/web/site_info/pcai_sites_browser_info.html">PC AI - WWW Browser Info Sites</a>, Mariner Browser was a web browser made by <a href="http://www.ncd.com/">NCD</a>. They don't make it anymore.

Nice find, MXN, I wasn't aware of this. I found some trademarks that connected Mariner to software, but nothing related to page description languages like with Phoenix.
tlyczko

Post by tlyczko »

i add my own disagreement to the name arias...boring, no pizzazz to it...

hey...why not call it PIZAZZ???? -- would that be a copyright no-no too???

:) :) :) :) tom
commuting an hour each way to work in upstate new york :)
Mister Mr.

Post by Mister Mr. »

If we're talking about small lizards, how about :

Scintilla

It really doesn't have much to do with lizards, but it means a spark or flash..plus it has that whole -illa thing that kindais lizardesque.
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...keep the change.
flii

Post by flii »

1. this thread is for talking about arias, not new names. you can't miss the correct thread. it has something like 60 pages and 70k views.

2. the developers have said no -zilla names, and i'm thinking this means -illa as well. sorry.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Flii wrote:1. this thread is for talking about arias, not new names. you can't miss the correct thread. it has something like 60 pages and 70k views.

2. the developers have said no -zilla names, and i'm thinking this means -illa as well. sorry.

What? No chinchilla?
Mister Mr.

Post by Mister Mr. »

Flii wrote:1. this thread is for talking about arias, not new names. you can't miss the correct thread. it has something like 60 pages and 70k views.

gorilla, pancho villa, flotilla, tortilla, godzilla, vanilla, ghost face killa, barilla, mechazilla, and oh yeah, mozilla... :lol:
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...keep the change.
old Neil Parks

"Phoenix rename proposal"

Post by old Neil Parks »

The title of this thread (as determined by the subject of the first msg) is "Phoenix rename proposal". Although the purpose of that particular post was to suggest Arias as a possible name, the subject leaves open the possiblity of counterproposals.
deviant

names

Post by deviant »

What's in a name???
Seriously....everything still works the way it's supposed to .....I just don't understand all the fuss :wink:
change isn't painful...resistance to change is.
flii

Re: "Phoenix rename proposal"

Post by flii »

Neil Parks wrote:The title of this thread (as determined by the subject of the first msg) is "Phoenix rename proposal". Although the purpose of that particular post was to suggest Arias as a possible name, the subject leaves open the possiblity of counterproposals.

one of the developers posted his rename proposal. he wanted comments on his rename proposal. if normal people (us) want to propose a new name, there's an entire empire of a thread for that. :) keeps it all in once place so people will stop double-posting in this thread as well.
aditseng

Another Phoenix

Post by aditseng »

For all those who've watched/read Harry Potter - why not name is Fawkes after Dumbledore's Phoenix? Sticks with Phoenix without saying so - although we have to check whether Rowling or Warner Bros have trademark issues!
Shit never just happens - someone's got to make it! :)
../frank

Post by ../frank »

<b>Fawkes</b> has been suggested a few times in the official needs-a-new-name thread.

<b>Fox</b>/<b>Phox</b> have also been suggested. They seem to have more than trivial support among the regulars. Could be a pun on <b>Fawkes</b>.

That's one reason I like Phox
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
fab97

Name Proposal

Post by fab97 »

Here are some proposal I suggest for Phoenix :

- PhoenixBird

- RedBird (ou Blue/Yellow)

- QuickFly / SimpleFly / WideFly

- FastPhoenix

- Fonix