How do I remove the OpenH264 Video Codec plugin ??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ghot

How do I remove the OpenH264 Video Codec plugin ??

Post by ghot »

This plugin installed by itself, or came with the later editions of FF.
I want to remove it completely from Firefox 33.0.2. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
the-edmeister

Re: How do I remove the OpenH264 Video Codec plugin ??

Post by the-edmeister »

That plugin is in the \gmp-gmpopenh264\ folder in your Profile folder. To get into your Profile folder open Help > Troubleshooting Information ->> Show Folder. Then close Firefox and delete the \1.1\ folder that is in the \gmp-gmpopenh264\ folder. When you restart Firefox that plugin will be gone. IMO it is best to leave the \gmp-gmpopenh264\ folder and delete the contents of that folder; when I deleted the "main" folder the first time it was reinstalled about a week later. Deleting the \1.1\ folder inside the "main" folder has lasted since.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
ghot

Post by ghot »

It didn't work... I even went back and removed the entire: gmp-gmpopenh264 folder and that didn't help either. :(
Still looks identical to the pic above.

/e Ofc, I have all auto updating things set to off.

/ee Ah ha, I got it. I also went to about:config and set the ...openH264.provider.enabled to false...THEN it went away. Thx, for the help. :D

Last edited by ghot on November 15th, 2014, 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
James

Post by James »

ghot wrote:This plugin installed by itself, or came with the later editions of FF.

It came with Firefox starting at Fx 33.0 release so it is in Fx 33.0.1, 33.0.2, 33.0.3, 33.1 and the current Fx 33.1.1 also.
ghot

Post by ghot »

Well let's just hope it stays away now. :)

/e Well, just updated FF to version 33.1.1, and it's still gone. Which makes me a happy camper. :)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

ghot wrote:Well let's just hope it stays away now. :)

/e Well, just updated FF to version 33.1.1, and it's still gone. Which makes me a happy camper. :)

At least you will remember how to enable it again should you ever require it.

You are aware of what it does. [Video Interoperability on the Web Gets a Boost From Cisco’s H.264 Codec | The Mozilla Blog](https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/3 ... 264-codec/)
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
ghot

Post by ghot »

Yeah, I know what it does. When I run into something that needs it, I'll think about it. :)

Thx all for the help.
tbdkqjyjkyk

Post by tbdkqjyjkyk »

I set openH264.provider.enabled to FALSE and still OpenH264 plugin is listed in my addons ... argh..
and now there is a new annoyance gmp-eme-adobe, Heartbeat, ... the list keeps growing.

I am about ready to abandon Firefox and advise everyone I know to not use it, just like IE back in the day...
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

media.gmp-provider.enabled set to false and a restart seems to do it for me
And FWIW, no one here cares what browser you use... Idle threats get you nothing....
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
therube

Post by therube »

(Ah, so the name of the Pref has changed, or something along those lines.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tbdkqjyjkyk

Post by tbdkqjyjkyk »

JayhawksRock wrote:media.gmp-provider.enabled set to false and a restart seems to do it for me
And FWIW, no one here cares what browser you use... Idle threats get you nothing....

and no one here named you as the general census reporter.
The point is not what browser I use, it's that a lot of people are unhappy with the direction that Mozilla has taken by bloating the browser with bells and whistles that each open up a new security vulnerability, but what can we do in face of a corporation except posting a little comment here and there... Unless you have a personal stake at Mozilla, why be so butt heart about someone criticizing Mozilla Firefox?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It's just a really tired and silly thing to say that pretty much everyone on this forum is completely sick of hearing. Go ahead and make the leap if you want... it's not the end of the world to switch browsers.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

tbdkqjyjkyk wrote:The point is not what browser I use **snip**

That actually is the point, why else would you specifically say the following where you say you're about ready to abandon Firefox?
tbdkqjyjkyk wrote:I am about ready to abandon Firefox and advise everyone I know to not use it, just like IE back in the day...

tbdkqjyjkyk wrote:and no one here named you as the general census reporter.

And no one named you as the general census reporter for advising others to not use Firefox.

As Patrick mentioned, it's something we hear quite often and it's something that is pointless and tiring. Everyone has their own opinions of each browser and if you went to a forum for Chrome or Opera you may even see people say they are getting tired of them and want to move to Firefox. Either way, people can use what ever they choose.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.