Metal Lion Australis.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mightyglydd

Re: Metal Lion Australis.

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote:All 3 break the conditional Forward feature to show a constant Forward button, all 3 stop the urlbar contents moving back and forth like a trombone player's arm and all 3 put a combined Reload/Stop between the Back/Forward and the urlbar.

Looking forward to that, funny how the little things mean a lot, just noticed the drop down history arrow in the search bar...I never understood why that was dumped.
@Would you believe that LCD Clock 0.4.2 still works just fine in the navbar ! :shock:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:Looking forward to that, funny how the little things mean a lot, just noticed the drop down history arrow in the search bar...I never understood why that was dumped.

Yep, people asked me for it, so it's there. I see that you've already noticed that there are always two New Tab buttons in my themes - a cross one fixed on the tab bar and a proper toolbar button one that you can move anywhere or not use at all, again because people asked for it.

I must admit that the decision to have close buttons on all tabs, apart from pinned ones, was mine alone. I just got fed up guessing when they would be there or not on default, in a 'tab overflow, did he open 6 tabs or was it only 5?' type way. I'm not much of a fan of conditionally appearing features, especially when they haven't been thought through properly.

While I remember, the new themes may well * bring back the flexible space, space, separator side that was removed and I'm toying with the idea of also adding a statusbar/addons bar * at the bottom as well. The idea is to make the themes pretty well self sufficient, so people don't need to add extensions, etc.

* as in, 99% certain

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Metal Lion Australis

Compatibility - Firefox 29.0a1 - 32.0

Version - 2.0.1.4.91

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lis-theme/

Changelog -

# Bottom Bar Text Colour fix
# Edit Bookmark star fix.
# Context-navigation (seen in FF31) background style fix.
# Fallback background colour added under background images (Linux Compiz users)
# Preventative Urlbar break fix for FF 31/32.
# Disabled Items in Context Menus fix.
# Resized Urlbar notification circles fix.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Is there a way to remove the monochromatic look of the add-on icons in the "add-ons bar" (for lack of a better term for that bar)?

The current look is a problem because changing colors are needed for several add-on icons, but with this theme they stay the same color. For example, the rating of a website's safety by WebOfTrust (WOT) can't be determined by color, you instead have to move the cursor to the WOT icon to read the site's overall rating. Similar problems affect add-ons like NoScript, Secure Logon and possibly FEBE. I realize you're trying to have a consistent theme color (and I like it), but losing the varying colors of these add-on icons reduces the usefulness of the theme (at least for me). Other than this problem, I love the theme!

M`D
"On the web, nobody knows you're a rodent!"*
                *(except the NSA)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Muad'Dib wrote: For example, the rating of a website's safety by WebOfTrust (WOT) can't be determined by color, you instead have to move the cursor to the WOT icon to read the site's overall rating. Similar problems affect add-ons like NoScript, Secure Logon and possibly FEBE.

Hi, the following in your userChrome.css or Stylish will do the job -

Code: Select all

#restart-button,#wot-button,#secureLoginButton,#noscript-tbb{ filter: none !important;}

Not sure if I got the right one, but I don't use any of those, so took a guess. I didn't do your 'addon bar' idea, as there are about 5 different ones and a user would need to install one to get the benefit of this change. I'll be adding that code in the next time I update this theme.

This theme was the first one where I used svg code filters and, at the time, harmonising all the extension buttons seemed like a really good idea, now I'm not convinced. Trouble is, people seem to really like the idea, so I have to be careful how I change this look.

Glad you enjoy using the theme.

Frank :)
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

The Stylish tip works great, thanks!

I discovered your theme by accident while I was looking for a dark-colored theme. I had used PitchDark for a long time, but that stopped working after FF22, I had then gone to FT DeepDark, but when Australis came out, I was having various problems with that FF release (mainly sluggishness), I read that some of that may be due to FT DeepDark, so after a few false starts, I finally came across MLAustralis, which seems to have helped with the sluggishness (not completely, so obviously the theme isn't totally the cause).

Now after using it for a short time, two things I like better with MLA over FTDD are:

1) The page reload button/indicator is a decently sized red X when the page is reloading. I hate having to look very closely at a small grey indicator in order to tell whether or not the page has completed its reload (PitchDark was also great about this, FTDD is not).

2) The dialog boxes are not dark, which means they are much more easily read. And given that those boxes are only displayed for a brief moment, the lack of darkness isn't really a problem. Having a dark theme is nice, but one shouldn't go overboard at the expense of usability. Now that my addon bar issue is fixed (BTW, I'm using "The Addon Bar (restored)" v3.2), MLA is probably going to be my default theme for the long haul (unless PitchDark returns, then I'll have to at least give that good ol' theme a 2nd chance).

Thanks again for your help and quick response!
M`D
                *(except the NSA)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

A recent (silly) change in Firefox means that the tab close buttons on this theme do not look as I intend them to look, i.e. you shouldn't see them on inactive tabs until you hover over them.

Sometime, I'll do a new version fixing this, but in the meantime, the following in userChrome.css will sort this out for you -

#TabsToolbar[brighttext] .tab-close-button:not(:hover):not([selected="true"]) {
      -moz-image-region: rect(0, 16px, 16px, 0) !important;
    }
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Metal Lion Australis

Compatibility - Firefox 29.0a1 - 36.*

Version - 2.0.1.5.2

Changelog -

#1. Fix for searchengine button in 36 showing grey background in open state.
#2. Fix for greyscale not showing in FF36 - new greyscale method added to original.
#3. Send a Message button seen in 36 (called Loop button - a smiley face thing) - Purple filter removed to allow states to show.
#4. New buttons styled and coded in - Forget, e10's Window, Apps. Forget shows in 33.1 onwards.
#5 MLA Forward Button background vanishes in 36 fix.
#6. Previous version fixed Bright Text on tab close buttons, as mentioned in post above.

What does the above gibberish all mean? Just means it all works as it should.

Edit - update has now passed AMO review.
Last edited by Frank Lion on November 16th, 2014, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Your link goes to v2.0.1.5.1 (I tried downloading it anyway, just in case it was simply labeled wrong, but it's still v2.0.1.5.1).
                *(except the NSA)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Muad'Dib wrote:Your link goes to v2.0.1.5.1 (I tried downloading it anyway, just in case it was simply labeled wrong, but it's still v2.0.1.5.1).

Hi, it wasn't a mistake. With yards of code to work on, themers can't afford to make simple mistakes. :P

I do these update threads just soon as I upload the version to AMO for review, which can take anything from 15 minutes for 4 themes up to a week for 1.

You're not missing much as most of these fixes are for Firefox 36, as I did the 33 stuff a while back. I like to work ahead of the game as I never know how much free time I might have for this stuff.

If people want, I can always do an 'Edit' on these posts when I get the review notifications. :)
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Frank Lion wrote:If people want, I can always do an 'Edit' on these posts when I get the review notifications. :)

Not needed for this update, the new version (2.0.1.5.2) is now available (also an edit won't automatically notify people following this thread, while this post will do that).

EDIT: I now see you posted an update a few posts back (though as I mentioned, I didn't get an email telling me that). Thanks again!
                *(except the NSA)
pddesign

Post by pddesign »

Thanks for a great theme. There are a few tweaks I would like to make but I don't know the proper ID's to use for the in userChrome.css. Is there a way to inspect the CSS in a browser? Or a stylesheet for Metal Lion Australis I could look at? If not I was trying to remove the shadow from the Menu bar text and also remove the gradient background from the right-click/context boxes. Thanks again.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

pddesign wrote:Thanks for a great theme. There are a few tweaks I would like to make but I don't know the proper ID's to use for the in userChrome.css. Is there a way to inspect the CSS in a browser? Or a stylesheet for Metal Lion Australis I could look at? If not I was trying to remove the shadow from the Menu bar text and also remove the gradient background from the right-click/context boxes. Thanks again.

Hi, you need the DOM Inspector for the IDs - viewtopic.php?p=13274933#p13274933

However, I've done that Win7 fuzzy menubar text one already -

viewtopic.php?p=13576199&sid=e3b02baf9f17c73ccc9a14efe29a75a8#p13576199

The menu backgrounds are controlled by that huge block of code in the first few lines of the theme. Find the bits you want to change and instead of the existing background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,#ffffff, #A3A3A3) !important; (or similar) for those, use userChrome.css to override that with just background-image : none !important; and change your background-color to whatever you want for those.

Hope that all helps,

pddesign

Post by pddesign »

Awesome! Thanks Frank. I'd have ditched Firefox 35 if not for Metal Lion.

To change context menu color: In userChrome.css

#tabContextMenu {background-image:none !important; background-color: 

#EBEBEB !important}

#contentAreaContextMenu {background-image:none !important; background-

color: #EBEBEB !important}

#EBEBEB can be substituted for any other color.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Metal Lion Australis

Compatibility - Firefox 29.0a1 - 41.0

Version - 2.0.1.5.4

Changelog -

#1. Added Search button to original Options window.
#2. Windows XP only - Tab position fix.
#3. Linux only - Nav Bar top border colour fix.
#4. Firefox 40 Toobarbutton size fix.

Status - awaiting AMO review.