SeaMonkey not recognized

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
lollarz

SeaMonkey not recognized

Post by lollarz »

Some sites do not recognize SeaMonkey as a legitimate browser, or think cookies are not turned on when they are.

However, these sites do recognize FireFox. Can't the Mozilla people add a chingozzle or two to trick these sites into thinking it's FireFox?

Frank
DanRaisch

Re: SeaMonkey not recognized

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support as no bug has been identified here.
James

Post by James »

lollarz wrote:Some sites do not recognize SeaMonkey as a legitimate browser, or think cookies are not turned on when they are.

However, these sites do recognize FireFox. Can't the Mozilla people add a chingozzle or two to trick these sites into thinking it's FireFox?

Frank

Already does with the Firefox in useragent enabled in Preferences as your SM UA shows.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1

Also SeaMonkey is not a Mozilla product but done by SeaMonkey community.
therube

Post by therube »

> Some sites

URLs ?

Have you contacted them?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

lollarz wrote:Some sites do not recognize SeaMonkey as a legitimate browser, or think cookies are not turned on when they are.

If default compatibility mode (you have it running) doesn't work then you can tune SM a little:
1) type "about:config" (without quote marks) in address bar and hit Enter key,
2) click Right Mouse Button anywhere and choose "New" and then "String"
3) type "general.useragent.override.[domain_name]" (e.g. general.useragent.override.adobe.com)
4) as a value enter User Agent of latest Firefox: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0"

Maybe it'll help a little.

therube wrote:URLs ?

Have you contacted them?

Please, don't be silly! They do not care about "small" browsers like SeaMonkey. They don't want to have any problems so they're ignoring everything but most popular browsers (IE, Chrome, Fx).
--
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

They do not care about "small" browsers like SeaMonkey.

On the other hand they can't care about "small" browsers like SeaMonkey if they don't know that folks using that browser are having problems. Tell them about it but don't expect an immediate and positive response.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

DanRaisch wrote:
TPR75 wrote:They do not care about "small" browsers like SeaMonkey.

On the other hand they can't care about "small" browsers like SeaMonkey if they don't know that folks using that browser are having problems. Tell them about it but don't expect an immediate and positive response.

I did it several times (for polish and other sites; including Google and Adobe.com). There where almost no response. Almost because once I've received reply with information: "We're supporting major browsers only. Sorry."

And I'm not expecting they'll made changes on their websites. I was hopping for lack of blockades: like e.g. "If it's not IE/Firefox then GTFO". If SeaMonkey can handle with such website using different User Agent only then for me it's some kind of blockade.

Why they doing this? IMO it's "support/help desk" thing. In their "Help/FAQ" section they don't want that many entires. It's matter of time and money too.
--
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

TPR75-
You have an odd user agent
"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.33.1"
It should read "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1["

I am not certain how to fix that (someone here will), but it might solve the problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

Edit - Preferences - Advanced - HTTP Networking - Advertise Firefox compatibility
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

LoudNoise wrote:TPR75-
It should read "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1["

I am not certain how to fix that (someone here will), but it might solve the problem.

I've got CORRECT user agent for SeaMonkey. I'm not using "compatibility mode" to let them (webmasters) know what browser I'm using... ](*,)

For some websites with "stubborn/lazy" webmasters I'm using "override" option.
Last edited by TPR75 on May 29th, 2015, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

DanRaisch wrote:

It might also help to contact website owners and point out that Gecko is the rendering engine used by a whole family of Web browsers. If they sniff for Gecko rather than Firefox, they'll expand their browser support. There's information at Gecko is Gecko, though some of it is a bit dated.
But then again, I may be wrong.
therube

Post by therube »

3) type "general.useragent.override.[domain_name]" (e.g. general.useragent.override.adobe.com)

That [.domain_name] does not work anymore, removed due to performance issues.

"general.useragent.override" (no .domain) does remain & can still be used.

While they may not care, & I'm sure they do not, just by virtue of the that they are singling out SeaMonkey tells me that their sniffing, which they probably shouldn't be doing anyhow, is being done incorrectly. So if they can't even sniff correctly, what do you expect them to get right?

(BTW, Bank of America, Online Billpay, throws up a message - that you can just ignore, but does allow you to proceed.)
Last edited by therube on May 29th, 2015, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

TPR75 wrote:
LoudNoise wrote:TPR75-

I've got CORRECT user agent for SeaMonkey. I'm not using "compatibility mode" to let them (webmasters) know what browser I'm using... ](*,)

For some websites with "stubborn/lazy" webmasters I'm using "override" option.

Fine. However, you problem likely does not have anything to do with OPs.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
therube

Post by therube »

Not entirely correct.

<barbaz> er, you actually can use "general.useragent.override.[domain]" in SeaMonkey and it'll work
<barbaz> i do it for {thissite} and {thatsite}
<therube> wonder if it is in later builds (2.37a) then where it no longer works?
<therube> perhaps still working in 2.33.1.
<barbaz> well, i know it works in 2.37a1 but maybe it doesn't in current Nightly. i'll go check.
<therube> no, that would be it then.
<barbaz> unless you're thinking of bug 1084475 ?
<therube> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=933959
<therube> maybe only FF affected & not SeaMonkey?
<barbaz> that's what i thought, but i haven't yet loaded nightly into my dev/testing VM to verify this though.
<therube> OK, it does work in SeaMonkey, 2.33.1, general.useragent.override.useragentstring.com;abc123 gecko lives, this site: http://www.useragentstring.com/
<therube> don't have .37 to test on this machine.
<barbaz> well dang, it is broken in 2.38a1 :(
<therube> does not work in FF 38.
<barbaz> firefox turned it off since v 25, it still works in seamonkey 2.35 (and 2.37a1 too) but it's not working in 2.38a1 anymore.
<barbaz> i'm filing a bug.
<therube> i like that idea. but do note, that FF did remove it for the reasons i mentioned.
<barbaz> yeah, but seamonkey went out of the way to keep it... if they wontfix it then i know i'm on my own to implement an extension to revive it.

And the (SeaMonkey) bug, Bug 1169709 - Site-specific user agent overrides are not applied at all in SeaMonkey 2.38a1
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

therube wrote:

Not entirely correct.

And the (SeaMonkey) bug, Bug 1169709 - Site-specific user agent overrides are not applied at all in SeaMonkey 2.38a1

So far works with SM 2.33.1:
http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

... but we're waiting for version 2.35 and bugs in 2.38 alpha (Linux version) should be fixed before release. Right?

EDIT:
Works for your site too:
http://vader.joemonster.org/upload/rqb/ ... 5_29_0.png

I hope it will be fixed. Some "my" sites needs IE UA. And I can't explain to government dudes that Gecko engine is far more common...
Last edited by trolly on May 29th, 2015, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images too large.
--