Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LoudNoise

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by LoudNoise »

I would suggest number 2 as a start. If it works, the problem solved. If it does not work, you folks haven't wasted anything but a little time.

Number 1 would seem to include a long, hard trip through Mozilla. If recent events are any indication (the donate issue, the moving the BLOG and etc) it might take a better part of the year to get anything happening.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Considering the trouble of getting access to seamonkey-project.org and the unknown state of PHP availability I thinks we could try the mozdev route. mozdev.org also appears to have a valid SSL certificate for https connections, which we can take advantage of while seamonkey-project.org has none.

Philip Chee wrote:2. I can create a new project on mozdev.org probably something like seamonkey.mozdev.org. The site runs on an older version of PHP but perhaps it would suffice.

mozdev.org advertises itself as "X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.8" so this version is really fine. I was worried it was more like 4.x.

Ideally, I would also move the converter to mozdev.org and have it within the same project as the compatibility tables because we would avoid fragmentation of closely related parts of the same system. The converter uses very little server resources (at the moment). What do you think?

Philip Chee wrote:I can grant Lemon Juice owner access to the project and can add more people when needed.

But the important thing is that I don't need access to the project application infrastructure - what I need is direct access to a part of the server (folder) where I can directly host stuff and put php files and others to execute (via (S)FTP or other means). Are you able to get me this kind of access? The compatibility tables will need its own editing facility, that's why we gave up on the mozilla wiki. As a bonus we could move the converter to the same place, too.

I imagine we could have seamonkey.mozdev.org as the main URL and derivatives like seamonkey.mozdev.org/addon-compat and seamonkey.mozdev.org/converter.

LoudNoise wrote:Number 1 would seem to include a long, hard trip through Mozilla.

I got this feeling, too. To me seamonkey-project.org is a web site that resists change suspiciously well...
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Not because of the SeaMonkey folks though.

By the way, the other benefit of number two is that things could get up and running and, if Mozilla eventually oks the inclusion, moved.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
therube

Post by therube »

/META-INF
Removed META-INF folder to remove certificate check on installation

Heh. Kind of funny.
Mozilla is going to the trouble of adding that to all (AMO) extensions, & we (or anyone doing any modification to any extension with a /META-INF section) HAS to remove it or the extension will fail. (Or suppose they could always sign it again.)

NewScrollbars (aka NoiaScrollbars) 1.2.2.1, works.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I got a bunch of new updates for extensions, some of which did not have to be converted. The only thing I had to do was bump up the max version on the ones that already were intended to work with SeaMonkey. They are working fine. I notice that the ones I ran through the converter do not have META-INF folders. Why should one remove the META-INF folder? I had to modify a few files in some of the updated extensions, and did not see any problem.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Anonymosity wrote:Why should one remove the META-INF folder?

Because if you leave the META-INF folder, and modify anything - at all - in the extension without re-signing it (meaning, appropriately updating the META-INF folder's contents), it'll refuse to install...
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You would think that... but I just tried editing the install.rdf on a signed extension in Fx 38.0.1 and it installed no problemo. So maybe the changes have to be more than a few characters to show up in the checksum?

Edit: also just tried adding a rather large image to the file to see if that would trigger it and it didn't. Maybe that part isn't working yet? Although signed extensions have been around for awhile, so it should already work.
Last edited by patrickjdempsey on June 1st, 2015, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

patrickjdempsey wrote:You would think that... but I just tried editing the install.rdf on a signed extension in Fx 38.0.1 and it installed no problemo. So many the changes have to be more than a few characters to show up in the checksum?

Edit: also just tried adding a rather large image to the file to see if that would trigger it and it didn't. Maybe that part isn't working yet? Although signed extensions have been around for awhile, so it should already work.

Not sure but I think I was editing JS files when I noticed that behavior...
lynxcat

Post by lynxcat »

Lemon Juice wrote:
lynxcat wrote:Not work for ExQuilla...

after converted & installed, when i try to add Exchange account it said:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 81, Column 13: <label class="label, serverLabel" id="emailFieldLabel" value="&email.label;"
------------^

actually i want to find a Seamonkey add-on which supports MS Exchange...

I have updated the converter so that the account window shows properly in ExQuilla - however, I can see some js errors in the console here and there so I don't know if this extension will work at all. You can try - please report your results here!

[Edit] Important: this extension is targeted to specific platforms so if you are on Windows you have to get the Windows xpi into the converter (by default the Linux version is used). When you are at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... -services/ - copy the link under the "Download for Windows" button and paste it into the converter.

It works now! well done! thanks a lot!
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

barbaz wrote:
Anonymosity wrote:Why should one remove the META-INF folder?

Because if you leave the META-INF folder, and modify anything - at all - in the extension without re-signing it (meaning, appropriately updating the META-INF folder's contents), it'll refuse to install...

But it did not do that. I bumped up the max version for the target application, and had no problem at all. With two extensions, I had to modify more files than that and again had no problems. It is easy enough to remove that though, if it someday becomes necessary.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Added!
lynxcat wrote:It works now! well done! thanks a lot!

I'm a little surprised it works but that's good! I noticed that input fields in options were pre-filled with some values in Thunderbird but not in SeaMonkey due to some errors. But if you say it works then I suppose this is not a serious issue.

NanM wrote:The converter has been one of the more helpful projects for SM.
I wonder if Mrs Chee's boy would have the in to allocate some of the SM donation funding for Lemon Juice to develop the proposed AMO-for-SM service?

SM being such a 'popular' project as we all know I don't think we can expect any other funding apart from something that is called personal satisfaction. Also, I'm not planning to develop an AMO for SM service - only an extension that will work on top of the existing Mozilla AMO.
LoudNoise wrote:Not because of the SeaMonkey folks though.

OT: maybe a good idea would be to move seamonkey-project.org to mozdev servers and regain full control of the web site?

LoudNoise wrote:By the way, the other benefit of number two is that things could get up and running and, if Mozilla eventually oks the inclusion, moved.

I agree. I still don't know how to get to mozdev.org - but as I understand Philip Chee is going to check if I can get the necessary access?
NanM

Post by NanM »

Lemon Juice wrote:Also, I'm not planning to develop an AMO for SM service - only an extension that will work on top of the existing Mozilla AMO.

Ha! When I wrote 'develop' the service I meant get your proposed ?database/list on to a server if a paid host ends up being needed; your own coding contribution I think I'd already understood to be voluntary :|

Whatever your approach, I look forward to seeing the extension up and running, not least because it will likely keep more in the SM fold for a while longer.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Lemon--
I was poking around here https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/Addo ... eed_review and noticed that Palemoon Commander is no longer available at AMO. Someone should give some thought to an easy way to report a dead link. The easiest way might be through the converter itself if there is a way to get it to report bad links to a file.
Post wrangler
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

NanM wrote:Ha! When I wrote 'develop' the service I meant get your proposed ?database/list on to a server if a paid host ends up being needed; your own coding contribution I think I'd already understood to be voluntary :|

Yes, a more official server from SeaMonkey would be a good thing for the compatibility database. Generally it is not a problem to keep the lists and the add-on converter on my own server if they don't generate much traffic but if the database is to be continuously contacted by every SM installation with the bundled extension then I think a better and more official hosting solution is more appropriate - for stability, maintenance and sheer elegance.

mozdev.org sounds like a good option but I still don't know if I can use it for that purpose. Whom can I contact regarding this? Is there anyone who is in charge of that server and can make decisions like this?

LoudNoise wrote:Lemon--
I was poking around here https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/Addo ... eed_review and noticed that Palemoon Commander is no longer available at AMO. Someone should give some thought to an easy way to report a dead link. The easiest way might be through the converter itself if there is a way to get it to report bad links to a file.

I removed Pale Moon Commander from the list. Automatic reporting of dead links could be a good idea except that often people enter all kinds of weird URL's into the converter that obviously fail and so I wouldn't want to be flooded every day with a number of false positives :D If we get to the point of having the compatibility tables database then it might be possible for the converter to detect URL's from the official tables and send the alerts.

An idea - could we have a thread somewhere at mozillazine for reporting problems with the converter like dead links, extensions not working, etc. - such that people without accounts could also post? Maybe not now but when the compatibility tables are ready then there could be a few people in charge of maintaining the tables and then whoever has time could respond to the reports and make corrections. I think I would prefer this solution instead of a system where a report is send to a single person (like me) as a private message.

EDIT: Forgot about one more thing - EditEmailSubject works after conversion :mrgreen:
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Let me bring it up in the mod shack. It would have to be in Site discussion.
Post wrangler