Updating a Firefox theme to v25.0 onwards...

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mcdavis

Re: Updating a Firefox theme to v25.0 onwards...

Post by mcdavis »

maxdamage wrote:Look at the text Connecting.... in the tab area in the above screenshot and you can see the background of the text is the same blue aero colour as the rest of the browser and you can see that in each screenshot of the theme with Firefox.

OK thanks, I see that. I'll get back to you on that, but not today.

I am using the status4eva addon which could be adding the page load progress indicator bar back in which I don't mind though.It is just a couple of pixel above the bottom of the url bar than it is in FireFox v4.0.

OK, I know that add-on. The issue here is that your CSS and CSS from Status4eva are both in the mix, so you need to work out where that spacing is coming from -- that is, whether it's coming from your theme CSS or from the add-on's CSS -- and then write a rule which puts in place a new spacing instead. My approach would be 1) save the status4eva to disk and then unpack that on disk so I can read through its CSS 2) use DOM Inspector to figure out which rules are setting margin and padding on that line, or on its containing parent elements and how, and 3) use the Stylish add-on to write some quick-and-dirty CSS to adjust layout to taste, then 4) write in-theme rules to fix it. Now that I know what you mean I can say more but I can't today, I'll come back when I have some time.

Obviously, since Status4eva is an add-on, if you're going to adjust its appearance then you're going to want to track changes on that add-on into the future, or just deal with it if it becomes a problem that you notice.

Thanks for the screenshot.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

mcdavis wrote:
maxdamage wrote:1:Fix all three tab images.

Could you tell me about any work you've done with tabs? Is that the way the theme was, or have you worked with that some? It looks like you may have taken some Fx29 Australis-style tabs code and mixed it in with theme code, I'm wondering if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

I am talking about the tab-top-hover.png, tab-top-normal.png and tab-top-selected.png images found in the
aerofox-bundle-4.0.1.5\chrome\win\browser\tabbrowser folder.They were created by the author himself plus I haven't done any work with tabs.

Most of what I have done has been easy stuff to the theme and I have been checking out the coding to a lot of stuff through DOM Inspector but it can be like learning a foreign language.....

As you can see in the various screenshots I have posted here of Firefox v25.Firefox has squarish tabs and not curved ones like the images used and it looks wrong as parts of the tab isn't skinned.

Firefox v4.0 has curved tab edges and not rounded squarish ones.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

mcdavis wrote:
maxdamage wrote:Look at the text Connecting.... in the tab area in the above screenshot and you can see the background of the text is the same blue aero colour as the rest of the browser and you can see that in each screenshot of the theme with Firefox.

OK thanks, I see that. I'll get back to you on that, but not today.

I have dome some seraching on my own to find the element that is responsible for the blue aero appearing through the tab and I can definitely say that the element where the text goes on the tab has nothing to to with the problem.It is the tab itself that has something wrong with it.

I was able to colour the box\element where the text Connecting... or other text goes on the tab through DOM Inspector.I have yet to find the element\code responsible.It is most likely in the tabs.css.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

You're still working with Fx 25, correct? (I'm asking so I can take a look using the right Firefox version. And in general, whenever you switch to working with a different, if you could tell me that would be great, I'll need to know that.)

What I'm going to do is install your theme (do I have the latest work?) with Fx25 or whatever you say, then use DOM Inspector to look at every element that makes up the tab. For each element, I'll look at everything having to do with background (all the background-related properties) under Computed Style. I'll also look at the value of -moz-appearance. That should be enough to tell me what's going on, but if not then I'll look at some other properties, like maybe border-image, which can also fill an element's background. And then go from there.

You'll want to have in your mind the DOM element structure that makes up the tab. To get that, I just look at it in DOM Inspector, and maybe make a little simplified representation of it in my working notes, like this:

Code: Select all

tab.tabbrowser-tab      
  stack.tab-stack                     
    hbox.tab-background               
      hbox.tab-background-start       
      hbox.tab-background-middle     
      hbox.tab-background-end         
    hbox.tab-content                 
      image.tab-throbber             
      image.tab-icon-image           
      label.tab-text.tab-label       
      toolbarbutton.tab-close-button 
        image.toolbarbutton-icon     

From that, you can start to think about which rules match or don't match and what CSS changes you want to make.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

So then, once you have the DOM structure in front of you, what do you see? You see there's a large outer container, the main tab element itself. Inside that there's a stack, meaning that the two elements directly within it are layered one on top of the other. Stacks work such that the last element under it in the DOM tree (what you see in DOM Inspector) is the one drawn on-screen on top, meaning that hbox.tab-content is layered over (in front of, to your eye as you look at it) hbox.tab-background, and that's why the icon text and close button appear on top of the background instead of behind the background.

We also see that hbox.tab-background is represented as three segments, with .tab-background-start and .tab-background-end probably representing the curved tab end shapes and .tab-background-middle representing the straight middle section.

So now we know the most likely elements having to do with a background problem are the tab itself (tab.tabbrowser-tab), possibly the stack, and also the two elements directly under the stack, hbox.tab-content and .tab-background, and the three parts under .tab-background. We can probably ignore everything inside hbox.tab-content.

I'm sure I've told you stuff you already know and I apologize for that, I'm just going through the whole process so you see it all.

Now I'm going to the store, and I'm going to walk it so I get some exercise, so I'll be back in a couple hours if I don't get arrested for walking in public.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

maxdamage wrote:I was able to colour the box\element where the text Connecting... or other text goes on the tab through DOM Inspector.I have yet to find the element\code responsible.It is most likely in the tabs.css.

Yes, that's right, it's in chrome://browser/skin/tabs.css in your theme, which is the chrome URL equivalent of your file chrome/win/browser/tabs.css.

The way that file gets loaded is:

1 - A file in Firefox called browser.xul defines the main browser window. This file isn't in the theme; it's part of Firefox itself. You can see it here. (Although that one's Nightly builds of Firefox 41, and it's has big changes from the one in Firefox 25. The one for Firefox 25 no longer exists in online Mozilla source. If you want to see the one for Firefox 25, unzip those zipped-up omnijar files I linked to upthread and search for the file browser.xul.)

2 - browser.xul contains a reference to chrome://browser/skin/browser.css. You can see that reference on browser.xul line 13 here. (It doesn't explicitly say browser.css because it uses a shorthand notation which Firefox knows to fill in -- when the filename is left off, Firefox uses the name of the package which is browser. and because it's a skin reference Firefox knows to fill in the .css suffix, and chrome://browser/skin/ becomes chrome://browser/skin/browser.css.)

3 - Because of that reference in browser.xul, which you can't change, chrome://browser/skin/browser.css is a mandatory file which must exist in your theme, and all themes, at that chrome URL. You do have that file, and it's loaded into and applied to browser.xul when your theme is used.

4 - Your browser.css contains the following line:

@import url("chrome://browser/skin/tabs.css");

As you probably figured out, that's how your tabs.css gets used. @import causes that file to be used as if it were actually part of your browser.css, as if its contents were located in browser.css at the site of the @import statement. So that's how your rules get into Firefox to style the tabs.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Now that we know the DOM structure of a tab, we can search your CSS for rules matching those elements. For example, .tabbrowser-tab is the class for the overall tab element, and searching all your source for that shows rules in tabs.css (as expected) like these for example.

#tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]) {
  -moz-appearance: none;
  background: none;
  margin: 0 0 0 1px;
  padding: 2px 4px;
  -moz-border-image: url("tabbrowser/tab-bottom-normal.png") 4 6 4 6 / 4px 5px 4px 5px repeat stretch;
  border-bottom: none;
  border-radius: 0 0 8px 8px;
  box-shadow: none;
  color:  #aaaaaa;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] {
  -moz-appearance: none;
  background: none;
  margin: 0px 0 0 1px;
  padding: 2px 4px;
  -moz-border-image: url(tabbrowser/tab-bottom-selected.png) 4 6 4 6 / 4px 5px 4px 5px repeat stretch;
  border-bottom: none;
  border-radius: 0 0 8px 8px;
  box-shadow: none;
  color:  #eeeeee;
}

Searching your whole theme shows 63 lines using .tabbrowser-tab, all in tabs.css but one in navbar.css. These will be most of the rules you're interested in, although there will be a few more you may need to track down. For example, there's another file chrome://global/skin/tabbox.css which has rules for tabs in general which also apply. Rules for .tabbrowser-tab compete with (via specificity and all that related jazz) and override some of those rules to get the styling you want.

Searching for: .tabbrowser-tab
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(3): .tabbrowser-tabbox {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(22): .tabbrowser-tab:not(:hover) > .tab-stack > .tab-content > .tab-icon-image:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(39): .tabbrowser-tab,
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(53): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(57): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(61): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background:not([selected="true"]):not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(65): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(81): .tabbrowser-tabs[closebuttons="hidden"] > * > * > * > .tab-close-button:not([pinned]) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(108): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-start:-moz-locale-dir(ltr),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(109): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-end:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(113): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-end:-moz-locale-dir(ltr),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(114): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-start:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(118): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-start:-moz-locale-dir(ltr),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(119): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-end:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(123): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-end:-moz-locale-dir(ltr),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(124): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-start:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(145): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-middle[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(149): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-middle[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(153): .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-start:-moz-lwtheme-brighttext:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(154): .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-middle:-moz-lwtheme-brighttext:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(155): .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-end:-moz-lwtheme-brighttext:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(159): .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-start:-moz-lwtheme-darktext:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(160): .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-middle:-moz-lwtheme-darktext:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(161): .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-background-end:-moz-lwtheme-darktext:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(165): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-content,
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(170): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab:hover > .tab-stack > .tab-content:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(175): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-content[selected="true"] {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(179): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-content,
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(184): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab:hover > .tab-stack > .tab-content:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(189): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-content[selected="true"] {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(210): .tabbrowser-tab:focus > .tab-stack {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(214): .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]):not(:hover):not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(218): .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]):hover:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(222): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]):not(:hover):not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(227): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] >.tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]):hover:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(232): .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(239): .tabbrowser-tab:-moz-lwtheme {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(310): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-content {
chrome\mac\browser\tabs.css(318): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-content {
chrome\win\browser\navbar.css(261): .tabbrowser-tab:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(32): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(45): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(56): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]):hover {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(69): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(83): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(95): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="true"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]):hover {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(111): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(123): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(135): #tabbrowser-tabs[tabsontop="false"] > .tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]):hover {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(146): .tabbrowser-tab:-moz-lwtheme {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(150): .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"]:-moz-lwtheme {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(154): .tabbrowser-tab:-moz-lwtheme-brighttext:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(159): .tabbrowser-tab:-moz-lwtheme-brighttext:not([selected="true"]):hover,
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(164): .tabbrowser-tab:-moz-lwtheme-darktext:not([selected="true"]),
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(169): .tabbrowser-tab:-moz-lwtheme-darktext:not([selected="true"]):hover,
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(174): .tabbrowser-tab[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]) {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(177): .tabbrowser-tab[pinned][titlechanged]:not([selected="true"]):hover {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(200): #tabbrowser-tabs[positionpinnedtabs] > .tabbrowser-tab[pinned] {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(211): .tabbrowser-tab:focus > .tab-stack {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(427): .tabbrowser-tab:not(:-moz-lwtheme),
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(432): .tabbrowser-tab:not(:-moz-lwtheme):hover,
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(443): .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"]:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
chrome\win\browser\tabs.css(448): #main-window[tabsontop=false]:not([disablechrome]) .tabbrowser-tab[selected=true]:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
Found 63 occurrence(s) in 3 file(s)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Looking at your rules, I see you're using border image (which is fine) rather than background color/images to style your tabs. Looking at Computed Style for tab.tabbrowser-tab in DOM Inspector confirms this. I also see that you're not using separate background images on the segments under hbox.tab-background like I thought you might (which is fine); rather, you're setting border-image on .tabbrowser-tab itself, which is also fine. However, the syntax of -moz-border-image has changed since the days when this code was written, and the change made it so there was something extra you had to add to fill in the center, and that may well be what the problem is here.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... rder-image

That's all I can do for today. If anyone wants to jump in and take this across the finish line, feel free.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

maxdamage wrote:
mcdavis wrote:
maxdamage wrote:Now to fix the add new tab buttons as it loads the default image when I move the cursor over it and the tabs button image(not that good at fixing images or creating them...) and text problem.I think I could "live" with the hide new tabs colour being white as I won't be using it....

Which button is that? Could you put up a screenshot pointing to it, please?

Here in this screenshot of the webbrowser with the TopLevelImageDocument.css working\loaded:
Look to the right of the tabs at the top and you can see the open a new tab button which is not suppose to be that image being loaded.You can check the newtab image in the .xpi copy of the fixed theme I emailed to you in the aerofox-bundle-4.0.1.5\chrome\win\browser\tabbrowser folder.

I removed the grey 3D add new tabs button and it looks "better". It looks like the add new tab button in the following screenshot. :D
No change which looks better than the 3D grey add new tabs button.Fits with the theme... :D

Here is the code for the add new tabs button in the tabs.css:

.tabs-newtab-button:hover {
  /*background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(bottom, rgba(10%,10%,10%,.4) 1px, transparent 1px), -moz-linear-gradient(hsla(0,0%,100%,.3) 1px, hsla(0,0%,75%,.2) 80%, hsla(0,0%,60%,.2)),
                    -moz-linear-gradient(-moz-dialog, -moz-dialog); #NB this adds a 3D button to the newtab button and I removed it and added following code */ 
                    border: 1px solid transparent;
}
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

I am atm trying to get hold of the developer of the theme to either create new tab images or help me to create new tab images that will look the same or identical to the ones that come with the theme.Also possibly get permission to be allowed to maintain the theme for current and future versions of the Firefox browser,etc... and release it.

[edit]The guy gets the emails but he hasn't responded yet... :( The tabs will have to be square one as like the ones in v 25.0 of Firefox...
Last edited by maxdamage on July 19th, 2015, 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

OK, sounds good.
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

@mcdavis

I have been trying to get hold of the author of the mod here: http://www.virtusdesigns.com and the email address I have still works but no response yet. :( I hope anyone who knows him here will see this message and can get hold of him.

Thanks
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

maxdamage wrote:@mcdavis

I have been trying to get hold of the author of the mod here: http://www.virtusdesigns.com and the email address I have still works but no response yet. :( I hope anyone who knows him here will see this message and can get hold of him.

Thanks

Does anybody know Brett from http://www.virtusdesigns.com or could anybody help me with creating new tab images for the theme?

Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

maxdamage wrote:Does anybody know Brett from http://www.virtusdesigns.com

You will not need permission for personal use.

maxdamage wrote:I would like to update a Firefox v4.0 theme I use so it is mostly\fully compatible and without errors for personal use for FireFox v25.0 onwards..

viewtopic.php?p=14118923#p14118923
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
maxdamage

Post by maxdamage »

Frank Lion wrote:
maxdamage wrote:Does anybody know Brett from http://www.virtusdesigns.com

You will not need permission for personal use.

maxdamage wrote:I would like to update a Firefox v4.0 theme I use so it is mostly\fully compatible and without errors for personal use for FireFox v25.0 onwards..

viewtopic.php?p=14118923#p14118923

I am trying to get help regarding creating new tab images for the theme for Firefox v 25.0 onwards and maybe get permission from the author to release my "fixed" version of the theme plus get permission to maintain it myself for future versions of Firefox,etc... as Brett did not want to keep fixing his themes,etc... so he decided to no longer work\support\fix them.