seperate build forums for mozilla and phoenix?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
johann_p

seperate build forums for mozilla and phoenix?

Post by johann_p »

I would really like to see seperate build forums for mozilla and phoenix as I am not
interested in phoenix builds (and others probably not in mozilla builds). As the other
forums exist on a per-program basis I wonder why this has not been done for the
build forum?
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

I agree. There should be a build forum in each (appropriate) section. The one here should just be for overall site "Build Bar" information, while there should also be one under Mozilla for latest Mozilla builds, Phoenix for latest Phoenix builds, etc.
JLP

Agree

Post by JLP »

I also have to agree on this.
Live long and prosper!
chrisham

Post by chrisham »

Hmm, I don't really have any strong opinion here, I don't mind either way. However, one thing to keep in mind:
I remember one of the people 'who should know' saying that about 95% of the Phoenix code is actually Mozilla. Almost anything that isn't FE is common to both.

This forum is about *current* build problems and new bugs - so what percentage of on-topic phoenix problems should we expect to also be problems in mozilla? I'd expect that quite a lot of people will not be able to, by just looking at the symptoms, correctly classify a problem as a phoenix only problem. Those people would then either have to re-report the problem here, or would more likely just give up if told that they are OT in 'Phoenix Builds'.

So, we might end up creating a very low volume forum for Phoenix, with a bad signal to noise ratio, at the price of potentially diverting useful Mozilla feedback to a place where it is not noticed by a lot of people.

Is the occasional Phoenix-only bug that gets reported here really worth it?

GRTX, -Chris
p

keep them together.

Post by p »

I'll agree with chrisham. Given the difficulty most people (myself included) would have distinguishing what to discuss where, it's probably better to keep them together.
Then again, I tend to download nightlies of each at random (relatively short) intervals, and run both (that way if one crashes, I've only lost half my context ;-) so I'd be reading both, anyway.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

Also see the discussion in the MozillaZine General forum.
ckjnigel

Specify Moz, Px, etc. in subject line

Post by ckjnigel »

Insist that people posting to Build Bar do that. Come to think of it, couldn't there be a check box on the page I'm typing this on now that says: "Which browser (mail client) is this in reference to: Mox, Px, Ch, etc... ?
Radiowriter

Post by Radiowriter »

First, I really like the new forums. A big improvement, in my opinion.

I believe there should be a Build Bar forum for Mozilla and a Build Bar forum for Phoenix with each located in the logical place. The ONE Build Bar forum is in an odd spot.
Sarcasm - Another service I offer.
Firefox 3.0 :: XP
johann_p

Great!

Post by johann_p »

Wonderful to have the forums seperate now! :cool:
I guess there is no way for an ordinary user to close/remove a topic that got completely
and utterly irrelevant?
herman

Seperate build forums are better

Post by herman »

Imho, mozilla delivers the technical functionality, phoenix concentrates on simplifying the User Interface.
I did like phoenix from the start, but reading phoenix forums is like reading mail with a lot of spam in the folder. Most entries in mozilla forums are according to their category, but I´ve got the impression, people in phoenix forums can´t decide very well where to post. One guy even pestered bugzilla bugs with RFEs ( instead of commenting the bug ).
I´m willing to contribute, if I´ve got time and the ability, but reading off-topics is stealing time.
It´s positive, that phoenix forums attract a lot of people,
and I hope, phoenix can hold to their expectations,
seems like some peoply strongly want phoenix 1.0 yesterday.

I did like the threaded view of the old forums better,
maybe I´ve got to study the FAQs again.
It´s also nice that I can edit my typo´s.

herman
spark

Post by spark »

Would it be possible to create a link from the build bar to the Phoenix Builds forum?

Like: Builds Forums: Moz | Px or something.

-spark