Electrolysis: A tale of tab switching and themes

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mcdavis

Electrolysis: A tale of tab switching and themes

Post by mcdavis »

This was posted for us (and others). Thanks to the author, George Wright.

http://www.hackermusings.com/2015/06/el ... nd-themes/
Last edited by mcdavis on June 10th, 2015, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
ShareBird

Re: Electrolysis: A tale of tab switching and themes

Post by ShareBird »

Yeah... I saw the new attribute a couple days ago. I'm wondering if we get negative effects doing something like :
.tabbrwoser-tab[selected], .tabbrowser-tab[visuallyselected]{}
???
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

ShareBird wrote:Yeah... I saw the new attribute a couple days ago. I'm wondering if we get negative effects doing something like :
.tabbrwoser-tab[selected], .tabbrowser-tab[visuallyselected]{}
???

And I guess yes... Since the selected attribute will be set earlier than visuallyselected (300ms before, AFAIK) the effect will be the same if we don't use the [visuallyselected] selector. For compatibility we can use:

Code: Select all

.tabbrwoser-tab:not([visuallyselected])[selected], 
.tabbrowser-tab[visuallyselected] {
}

I think...
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

How silly. For backwards compatibility they should have named the final state [selected] and the "on hold" state as something like [selecting] or [selectionpending] if for some reason you would want to do that. But I don't know why you would want the tab to change before it's actually changing, especially if you already have a :hover state. Also not sure how there being a delay in tab switching is an "improvement" in behavior that's worth the 5 years they've been working on this.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

This must be Bug 1066531 - [e10s] Switching tabs can result in old content being displayed for a split second after the tab bar is updated.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

ShareBird, what you said looks right to me.

For the record, here's where the spinner that gw280 mentioned got added. It's applied with content CSS, but the spinner itself is in-theme.

(2014-10-24) (Fx36) Bug 1049551 - add a tab delay spinner for when we can't redraw tabs fast enough (white/black/garbage frame seen when switching between tabs with e10s)
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I guess what they did was change the semantics of the term selected, internally, in Firefox code, and chose for the attribute [selected] to use that new semantics, keeping them from having to change almost every instance of tab.selected in JS/C++; without having to touch it, most of the existing code matched the new semantics.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

I don't think anything has to be done here for Fx39 browsertabs because E10S isn't present there any more. While [visuallyselected] is present in Fx39, without E10S, both [selected] and [visuallyselected] get set at the same time (or at least within the same UI redraw cycle), and for Fx39 only you can either just keep on using [selected] or test [visuallyselected].

What does this mean for tabs other than browsertabs, like tabs in a plain old tabbox? I see some changes for that, but then why wasn't there anything for devtools?
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

So I'm going to use [visuallyselected] for browsertabs only, and not for other kinds of tabs, because that's the minimal impacting change that meets all the requirements as far as I can tell.

The default theme uses [visuallyselected] in tabbox.css, but that's not mandatory since in all tabs other than browsertabs [visuallyselected] and [selected] always have the same value (or if there is a difference for a time, it's imperceptible and doesn't matter). They only differ in value with browsertabs with E10S for web pages rendered as remote content/a separate process.

Tabs in devtools also have the [visuallyselected] attribute but the default theme CSS doesn't use it there. I don't know why they did for tabbox.css but not devtools tabs; maybe that would have been crossing organizational boundaries so it didn't happen. Regardless, I'm not using [visuallyselected] for devtools either -- just for browsertabs. I think that's right.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

I would do the same. Notice that my proposed code doesn't work. We need the chrome.manifest flags to target Firefox versions if we want to offer compatibility.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

ShareBird wrote:Notice that my proposed code doesn't work. We need the chrome.manifest flags to target Firefox versions if we want to offer compatibility.

Yeah, I see it now. [visuallyselected] can't be used to distinguish browser versions because it's not always present on browsertabs in Fx39, not until they're ready to render or the 300ms limit is hit.