Tab Mix 0.2 is available 4/18/05

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

ShareBird wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:TabMix does not work anymore after the EM changes made in Trunks a couple days ago.
Changes were made in the EM to validate the GUID and the EMVersion numbering.

TabMix will install, but its passing a check someplace to allow it to activate...
I would suspect any changes you make to correct the GUID and other things to correct the failures in the Trunk build would not affect the current release versions for 1.0.x

I have tried chaning the install.rdf to emmin: 1.0 and emmax: 1.1.. but that did not help...
must be something else I'm not seeing..but I'm not a coder, and still stumble around with things.

Thanks for keeping up and improving TabMix...Its great and I miss using it, as I am 'Trunks' kind of guy.

Are you using chob's version from Tab Mix??:

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.ph ... st&p=12715

Yes I am using Chob's mod..its installs, just wont activate, there is something inside TabMix that is not passing the updated EM test for validity.

I'm beginning to suspect its the embedded GUID for one or more of the snips from other extensions.
I don't think 1.0+ is a valid expression anymore, and will need to be set to valid number.
Also unless I'm not looking at things right, it appears there is an install.rdt, but no install.js
Perhaps the EM changes are looking for the .js install script whatever is contained there.
Also I further suspect that the ordering of extension build is coming into play, but I don't know what the correct order should be...

I'm only trying to get a heads up before many more features are added only to find when 1.1 hits, that its going to be "Major Broke'...after all the work that has gone into a great extension.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Littlemutt wrote:I'm beginning to suspect its the embedded GUID for one or more of the snips from other extensions.
I don't think 1.0+ is a valid expression anymore, and will need to be set to valid number.
Also unless I'm not looking at things right, it appears there is an install.rdt, but no install.js
Perhaps the EM changes are looking for the .js install script whatever is contained there.
Also I further suspect that the ordering of extension build is coming into play, but I don't know what the correct order should be...

I've found this:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox ... pdate.html

If it stills valid??!
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

ShareBird wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:I'm beginning to suspect its the embedded GUID for one or more of the snips from other extensions.

I've found this:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox ... pdate.html

If it stills valid??!

Even though the document show's Jul/2004 as a date, I believe parts of it are still valid, and in fact the changes to the EM as I understand so far will 'Enforce' those rules, where today they are ignored.

Time will tell I guess, still waiting for a couple more patches to land to correct the fallout from the EM rebuild, perhaps then TabMix will work, but I'm beginning to fear its going to take some rework on the TAbMix end.
onemen

Post by onemen »

Littlemutt you don't need to change anything in install.rdt.
if you try to install chob's version to the trunk and it didn't load and you get in the EM Tabmix will be installed the next time you restart firefox it's bug in the trunk that wiil be fix soon.
MorpheusUK

Feature Request

Post by MorpheusUK »

Hi,

I expect a lot of Tab Mix users (myself included) are using it in combination with either session saver or crash recovery. As there is already the facility to restore the last session could this be expanded to allow the loading and saving of sessions as per TBE/Session Saver and a crash recovery option as per the Crash Recovery extension.

Thanks for you efforts,

Morpheus
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

onemen wrote:Littlemutt you don't need to change anything in install.rdt.
if you try to install chob's version to the trunk and it didn't load and you get in the EM Tabmix will be installed the next time you restart firefox it's bug in the trunk that wiil be fix soon.

I'm aware of that issue to 'the restart not time issue' I'm seeing when an install is attempted a message that states " TabMix is not compatable'. I'm also stuck with TaMix.2 that won't remove/disable or anything else at this point..and appears another new profile may be in order.

Only trying to get folks a heads up...Other extensions I'm currently using were not working either, but installed right off once I hacked install.rdf.

Don't shoot the messenger...only trying to help. That's what I thought testers were for..to find breakage.
logixoul

Re: Feature Request

Post by logixoul »

MorpheusUK wrote:I expect a lot of Tab Mix users (myself included) are using it in combination with either session saver or crash recovery. As there is already the facility to restore the last session could this be expanded to allow the loading and saving of sessions as per TBE/Session Saver and a crash recovery option as per the Crash Recovery extension.
It would increase the size and decrease the speed of the extension too much. Maybe in a version far, far away, in another age... please understand. The aim of Tab Mix is to be small, fast and non-buggy at the opposite of Tabbrowser Extensions. Sorry.
@ronin712: Thanks, I will have a look at it.
@onemen: Yes, I guess you're right. I tested it and I didn't find bugs. But I added an option to toggle flex tabs and the changes apply only to new tabs. Do you have a suggestion to make them get the changes immediately? Something like chrome refresh? Also, their width is still limited to 250 pixels. Which is not what is desired. But I'm working at it.
@Defenestration: Thanks.

By the way, all the comments at Mozilla Update state that the package doesn't install. They say that it installs fine through the homepage. I don't have this problem. Anybody has it?
onemen

Post by onemen »

logixoul
  • try to loop all the tab and select each one and then back to the current tab. the titel is flicker in the process unles you know how to prevent the title change temporarily.
  • TM_verifyWidth prevent the maxwidth (and so the width) to be more then 250 pixels.
  • to fix tabs context menu bug that i'v mention replace in click.js in lines 50, 90, 94
    gBrowser.mTabBox.parentNode.mContextTab with aTab
onemen

Post by onemen »

Littlemutt i'm sorry but i have no idea what cause your problem with tabmix installation
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

logixoul wrote:
MorpheusUK wrote:I expect a lot of Tab Mix users (myself included) are using it in combination with either session saver or crash recovery. As there is already the facility to restore the last session could this be expanded to allow the loading and saving of sessions as per TBE/Session Saver and a crash recovery option as per the Crash Recovery extension.
It would increase the size and decrease the speed of the extension too much. Maybe in a version far, far away, in another age... please understand. The aim of Tab Mix is to be small, fast and non-buggy at the opposite of Tabbrowser Extensions. Sorry.

That's a shame because this is one of the features I use all the time with TBE and would swap to TabMix straight away if it had Load/Save/Delete tab sessions feature (and the scrollbar for the multi-row tabs :) ). I don't understand why adding Load/Save capability would decrease the speed of TabMix a lot because surely the extra code would only be executed when accessing this feature.

As for the increased size, this is inevitable to a small extent, but surely it wouldn't be that much of an addition. I say that because it would just be an extension (no pun intended) of the current SessionSaver functionality that is already included, as mentioned by Morpheus. The only additional code required is the ability to store/read/delete a list of saved sessions, and the code to handle the menu display. This could easily be lifted from TBE since I have never had any stability related problems with this feature in TBE. Each saved session could be of the same format as used by the current SessionSaver in TabMix, meaning that no additional code (or very minimal) would be needed to read and load in the actual list of websites in each session.

Please can you reconsider adding this Load/Save/Delete Sessions feature to TabMix.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

onemen wrote:Littlemutt i'm sorry but i have no idea what cause your problem with tabmix installation

Thanks anyway, I think perhaps there is still yet another pending patch to fix up the changes to the EM.
Meanwhile, I got it to install, but won't start by reordering the install.rdf file.

I just tried again with the latest hourly build and now getting error there is no 'Install.js' , which I'm not seeing when I extract the .xpi

Me thinks some re-work is needed...but what do I know at this point.

Thanks...
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

@logixoul:
The TabMix options (under "Menu") let us place several commands either on the Tab Bar or an the Web Page (its context menu).

Is there any special reason that one can't place the command for duplicating the tab in the web page's context menu?
I have set Firefox to hide the tab when there's only one page loaded and so I'm stuck when I want to duplicate. Could that be added?
peenbot

Post by peenbot »

Closing a tab to the left of an unread tab marks it as read. I have it set to focus last selected tab, so I'm guessing it quickly switches to the last one after automatically switching to the next tab, thereby marking it as read.
Maybe make it so tabs are marked as red after a set period of time, say .5s?
logixoul

Post by logixoul »

onemen wrote:logixoul
  • try to loop all the tab and select each one and then back to the current tab. the titel is flicker in the process unles you know how to prevent the title change temporarily.
  • TM_verifyWidth prevent the maxwidth (and so the width) to be more then 250 pixels.
  • to fix tabs context menu bug that i'v mention replace in click.js in lines 50, 90, 94
    gBrowser.mTabBox.parentNode.mContextTab with aTab
Thanks. I will try this when I have time.
Defenestration wrote:That's a shame because this is one of the features I use all the time with TBE and would swap to TabMix straight away if it had Load/Save/Delete tab sessions feature (and the scrollbar for the multi-row tabs :) ). I don't understand why adding Load/Save capability would decrease the speed of TabMix a lot because surely the extra code would only be executed when accessing this feature.

As for the increased size, this is inevitable to a small extent, but surely it wouldn't be that much of an addition. I say that because it would just be an extension (no pun intended) of the current SessionSaver functionality that is already included, as mentioned by Morpheus. The only additional code required is the ability to store/read/delete a list of saved sessions, and the code to handle the menu display. This could easily be lifted from TBE since I have never had any stability related problems with this feature in TBE. Each saved session could be of the same format as used by the current SessionSaver in TabMix, meaning that no additional code (or very minimal) would be needed to read and load in the actual list of websites in each session.

Please can you reconsider adding this Load/Save/Delete Sessions feature to TabMix.
I will think about it.
@Kitefighter: I don't know why has Hemiola left this out, I will ask him if he had any particular reason to do so.
@peenbot: I don't experience this bug. Post your Firefox info - plugins, extensions, themes and user agent string. Anybody here getiing this bug? Please check.
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

Defenestration wrote:
logixoul wrote:

That's a shame <snip>

I would say please do not add this feature. It is not something I use or want and would add to the size and complexity of TabMix. I agree with logixoul that TabMix should be kept small.

There are also features from TBE that I would like to see in TabMix (the ability to save and reload settings such as lock tab and auto-reload intervals to bookmarks). Again, I do not think this would have much effect on speed, but in order to keep TabMix light, I am trying to learn how to write an extension to cover these features I want. I believe TabMix should be kept light and bug free so it can be used for core features. Other features should be added with more extensions. Everyone will have their own views of which bits of TBE they want replicated. All the bits everyone wants, when added togeather, will make another TBE!