A million little questions

Discuss application theming and theme development.
ehume

Re: A million little questions

Post by ehume »

What have the devs done now? ALL of my themes are suddenly incompatible with Firefox. Something structural?

Nah. I failed to update my developmental directories. Duh. Getting rusty.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

When working with Firefox in RTL mode, is there a way to get DOM Inspector not to be in RTL? It's an incredible PITA to use DOM Inspector that way.

(I'm using the ForceRTL extension.)

EDIT: if you're only working with a particular element, you can usually add a style attribute on it (or do it in Stylish, I imagine) like [style="direction: rtl"]. This leaves DOM Inspector usable. The direction property does inherit, so this correctly applies to child elements too (although note there are cases where this is already set in DOM, e.g. #identity-box-label, which has [style="direction: ltr"] set on it by Firefox).
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Which bug changed "node info bar" (the bubble that shows element name+id+class+dimensions in the content area when you're selecting an element with the devtools HTML Inspector) styling for Firefox 37?
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Was there a bug that made Firefox no longer complain about CSS errors (some time back)?
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

It is working for me (using Firefox 37).
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Now I have an interesting question. All of my themes are now incompatible with Firefox 38 in one small feature: they will now allow a user to change anything on the Options panel. I had to leave for Toronto, but a quick check with the DOM Inspector showed me nothing I could use.

A dedicated user posted this:

Eureka! After much research and experimentation, I found that using about:config to set the value of "browser.preferences.InContent" to false displays Options in the old floating window and allows them to work in Aeon Clouds. False was apparently the default before Firefox v38, but FF 38 changes the default value to true and thus opens Options in a fixed tab that does not presently work in Aeon Clouds.

The new default value of true (tab) in FF 38 does work with Firefox's default theme and several other themes, but not Aeon Clouds. For those of us willing to accept Options in the old floating window (false), Aeon Clouds can be made to work in Firefox 38. Alas, users who want Options in a tab (true) must either switch to a new theme to stay in FF 38 or else roll back to FF 37 in order to keep Aeon Clouds.

Setting "browser.preferences.InContent" to false indeed displays Options in the old floating window. What change have the devs made, and how do I fix it?
ehume

Post by ehume »

double post
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

ehume wrote:Now I have an interesting question. All of my themes are now incompatible with Firefox 38 in one small feature: they will now allow a user to change anything on the Options panel. I had to leave for Toronto, but a quick check with the DOM Inspector showed me nothing I could use.

Setting "browser.preferences.InContent" to false indeed displays Options in the old floating window. What change have the devs made, and how do I fix it?

You need to add this: https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/browser/themes/shared/incontentprefs/preferences.inc.css#290. It is used for the dialogs which are showed in a overlay. Without this the overlay is always above the content and nothing can be clicked. And if you want style this dialogs look the styles which are between "Dialog" and "End Dialog".
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Anyone know how to make a "suggested" type tile appear in about:newtab with Fx39? I see "sponsored", but I can't get any of suggested ones to show.

According to one bug I should be able to set browser.newtabpage.directory.source to a certain test URL, visit irs.gov then see a suggested tile for that, but that's not working.

It's possible this has been backed out on Fx39 (it was already backed out of 38 and 38.0.5) and I just haven't read up to that patch yet.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

I was able to see them only in a clean profile...
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Thanks. I just tried that, but no luck, still the same, unfortunately. I see the "sponsored" kind but not the "suggested" kind.

I'll move this to the end of the queue and see if I learn anything working on other bugs.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Possibly?

Aurora: Suggested tiles moved into this release

Channel: 2015-06-11 « Meeting Notes
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

WLS wrote:Aurora: Suggested tiles moved into this release

Ah, that's great, thank you. It's always a relief when the world makes sense again. (This part of it, anyway.)