What does asterisk mean in Inbox (*12)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
AdrianK_IT

Re: What does asterisk mean in Inbox (*12)

Post by AdrianK_IT »

WLS wrote:
The asterisks are also used in Thunderbird 31.7.0

They weren't (aren't!) there in 31.7.0. However, problem solved via Config Editor, as oulined in this thread.
JJ Johnson

Post by JJ Johnson »

I'd much rather see the feature fixed (er, made more useful) in a future update, rather than simply disabling it. It would actually be _good_ to know that there are unread messages in subfolders.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

AdrianK_IT wrote:
WLS wrote:
The asterisks are also used in Thunderbird 31.7.0

They weren't (aren't!) there in 31.7.0. However, problem solved via Config Editor, as oulined in this thread.

Sorry, I guess my 3rd grade reading skills kicked in again, and I missed the sub folders part. I don't use sub folders.

All of my email folders are under the account name.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
netmeg

Post by netmeg »

Seems to me like a feature that is not explained, just shows up out of the blue (I've been using Thunderbird since it came out, and I've never seen the asterisk before today), may or may not be working as intended, and which apparently multiple people have multiple understandings of what it's for - well that's a feature I for one can probably do without.
JJ Johnson

Post by JJ Johnson »

He he.

How does the version numbering of Thunderbird work? Were versions 32 through 36 all betas? That's an odd approach.
tsor

Post by tsor »

If my memory serves me correctly .... about 2009 ??? .... TB2 had the columns and size integrated .... the update to TB3 removed the display and the extra column extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... s/?page=10 was created.

With the release of TB38 ??? the column and size were integrated again.

Old stuff gets new gift wrapped and probably sold as none plus ultra.

Expand the folder [and the sub folders] and the asterisk will disappear [at least at POP with global inbox]. If the folder is not expanded the total and the size are marked with an asterisk.

I guess it is/was not very nicely explained that in View --> Layout the Folderpane must be checked. Which in return adds a click able rectangular box with an arrow to expand on top of the Local Folders [on top of the scroll bar]. If this rectangular box is expanded it shows check boxes with Unread, Total, Size. After check mark e.g. total and size the whole display in the local folders changes to something more likeable [than a asterisk with a number].
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

JJ Johnson wrote:How does the version numbering of Thunderbird work? Were versions 32 through 36 all betas? That's an odd approach.

There are four channels (daily, earlybird, beta and release) that are run in parallel. This causes the next major version for the release build to jump by four, not one as you would expect. There is only one major release per year (which is when new functionality is added), and minor releases every 6 weeks (when fixes are made, though sometimes minor functionality is added). That's the current scheme. Its changed several times in the past, usually to mirror whatever scheme Firefox follows.
Greg25

Post by Greg25 »

I think this is a bug. We have Thunderbird installed on three home computers (all POP accounts). For us, the asterisk first appeared with the latest update to ver 38.0.1. I just updated one of the computers from ver 31.7, but checked its folder pane behavior before I ran the update. Asterisks were not present, regardless of folder expansion or contraction, and regardless of the presence of child folders. When fully collapsed and with new messages, the mail account’s name would be in blue text and the number of unread messages would be displayed in parentheses. If they were older, unread messages, the account’s name would be in bold black text with the number of unread messages in parentheses. No asterisks preceding the number of unread messages. I updated to ver 38.0.1, and the asterisks appeared. Very annoying and I presume it is a bug as it adds no value.

Applying the suggested “fix” through the Configuration Editor does not entirely return the folder pain to its previous behavior. Asterisks do disappear, but the number of unread messages in parentheses does not appear when the parent folder is fully collapsed.
tsor

Post by tsor »

@Greg25

I don't think it is a bug, but I don't support the silent integration from the extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... r-columns/ either. Respective going back to a TB 2 feature without additional information.

Even for some of us [approx. 200.000] that run this extension from TB 3 till the integration in TB 38 it is/was confusing to get it work due the lack of information/instructions. That some instructions are hidden here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... s/reviews/ is just an accident.

Nobody told us:

Solution:
Go to: View --> Layout --> the Folder Pane, the Folder Pane Columns and the Message Pane must be checked. Further that above the Local Folders the then displayed Folder Pane that rectangular box need to be clicked on and expanded to mark Unread, Total, and Size.

After doing this the expanding/collapse of Local Folders respective sub folders behaving like it was in the past [running the extension].

I'm disappointed with this update as much as I was with the update from 17.0.8 to .... create an update, dump it on the users and wait for the response in the forums .... magic words testing before on a wider scale and release notes .... just in case a developer respective now volunteer reading in this user community.
JJ Johnson

Post by JJ Johnson »

tsor wrote:I don't think it is a bug, but I don't support the silent integration from the extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... r-columns/ either. Respective going back to a TB 2 feature without additional information.

The bug is small, but still annoying. The asterisk appears - seemingly indicating that there are unread messages in subfolders - when there are subfolders, but they contain no unread messages.

Nobody told us:

Solution:
Go to: View --> Layout --> the Folder Pane, the Folder Pane Columns and the Message Pane must be checked. Further that above the Local Folders the then displayed Folder Pane that rectangular box need to be clicked on and expanded to mark Unread, Total, and Size.

After doing this the expanding/collapse of Local Folders respective sub folders behaving like it was in the past [running the extension].

I'm not quite certain what this supposedly fixes, but the behavior before and after expanding and collapsing are the same. Thunderbird still displays the asterisks next to the unread message count.

I'm disappointed with this update as much as I was with the update from 17.0.8 to .... create an update, dump it on the users and wait for the response in the forums .... magic words testing before on a wider scale and release notes .... just in case a developer respective now volunteer reading in this user community.

Maybe more people need to be on the beta channel. Apparently the developers aren't getting a sufficient amount of feedback.
tsor

Post by tsor »

I don't think it is a bug more likely a unexplained feature for POP3 with having several mail accounts using the Global Inbox feature in combination with incoming message filtering to sort incoming n e w m a i l into different sub or sub sub folders [away from the Inbox].

Assume: the Inbox [in Local Folders] is collapsed. Between the 'Get Messages' button and 'Local Folders' The Folder Pane Columns: 'Name' 'Unread' 'Total' 'Size' 'rectangular something' is shown.

In the current state the color of the Inbox is in black and bold indicates that TB was closed without all incoming messages from a previous session[s] were read. After getting new messages [in the now assumed] new session the color of the Inbox turns blue and bold. Indicating in this session new messages arrived and have not been read [yet].

The asterisk [singular and plural] indicates 'something' was combined in the display and the folder respective sub folder[s] should be expanded to view further details. E.g. If the unread message comes from a previous session or the new current session in a collapsed folder the determination is not possible to make, but if a new message arrives in this current new session the color of the folder will change to blue. On the other hand in a folder with sub folders all messages are read the collapsed folder still will show asterisk[s] but will be not in bold and and the color is black.

Love this feature [whats going on in my mailbox ... at a glance ... don't bother with details, yet] since TB 2 and the extension in TB 3 till TB 38.01 brought it back. It is informative to see in Local Folders how large [MB] a folder is, how many mails are contained in this [collapsed /expanded] folder and how many of those mails are unread. Also which folder received new messages in this session. I assume the 4GB restriction for folders does still apply and I try to keep the folder size under that limit.

May this is a 'downsized' explanation:
1 Asterisk [any color black or blue, bold or not] generally indicates something was combined [numbers qty and/or MB, could be a collapsed folder]
2 Asterisk [black and bold] specific same as 1 plus folder or sub folder contains unread messages from a previous session
3 Asterisk [blue and bold] specific same as 1 plus folder or sub folder contains unread messages from this session, respective just received a new message during this current session.

I have no idea, neither experience how this works and plays with IMAP and my apologies if the solution does not work there.
hitardo

Post by hitardo »

Hello,

I am running on Windows 8.1 64-bits.
I have many add-ons on Thunderbird, one being Collapsed Unread.

Today I updated to v38.0.1.
After the update there was no asterisk.

I backed-up my Thunderbird's profile folder (on (...)AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird|Profiles) via my router.
The program was stuck on one file (I deducted it was the Thunderbird management file), so I closed Thunderbird and the router terminated the back-up right after.
When I opened Thunderbird again, there was the asterisks.

I updated next to v38.1.0 was the asterisks remains.

I attach a print screen of my Panel on Thunderbird:
- Yellow are IMAP accounts;
- Blue are POP3 accounts;
- Red are RSS/Feed links.

How can I make them go away?

Best regards.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See the third post from tanstaafl on the first page of this thread.
hitardo

Post by hitardo »

DanRaisch wrote:See the third post from tanstaafl on the first page of this thread.

Thank you!
That explanation makes sense.

But, would the arrow on the left of the folder be sufficient do transmit that I should have the sub-folder opened all the time?

I think the asterisk is not that handy as it was intended to, and it is just another character to add as a distraction.
Laptop Asus N56VZ-S4277H running Windows 8.1 x64:
Intel Core i7-3610QM, 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080), 16GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M, Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB and Intel® HM76 Chipset.
elrich

Post by elrich »

Thanks, I now understand what that asterisk is for. I agree with hitardo, though -- it's just a distraction, doesn't convey any useful information, and I would gladly delete those subfolders if I could figure out how. I suspect it's something I'd have to change in the e-mail admin page of my Web hosting account; Thunderbird won't let me delete them.