Customising the search box

Closed Forum
inspector71

Customising the search box

Post by inspector71 »

Hello

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, it's my first post and I'm still getting familiar with this forum.

I just have one questio: is it possible to customise the search box (sorry I don't know it's nromal name but it's the bit that automatically searches dmoz.org or google or find in page andis acesible via Ctrl-K)?

I would like to use it to search a user database at my work. I could possibly do this with a keymark but it would seem cleaner to do it with the search box.

Thank You.
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

No, good job. That searchbox thing is incredibly versatile. You get more at:
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/

Your app may be there or easily created by you or a kind soul if you plead.
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Hello Spewey

Thank You for the tip, however I had a good long look at the Mycroft site and it seems to me that the idea is to follow their instructions and produce a text file that becomes the search box widget and can be submitted to the Mycroft people for public publishing?

I can write the odd program or two so that would be cool but I'd like to configure the seach box to do something that cannot be published to the outside world.

Another way of saying that is that I'd like to be able to customise the search box for using with the various Intranet based search tools at my work.

Have I got it right? Mycroft isn't a GUI tool or any kind yeah? Myrcoft is a guideline for writing plugins to use in the search box right?

Thank you again for your help. I just love my FireBird. Killing ads is the best shoot 'em up game out there!
jigho

Post by jigho »

Of course, if your search function is for internal purpose, mycroft guys will not require it ;) it's free software here !
(when they ask people to transmit a copy, it is only to help other people who could need the same development. )
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Hi Jigho

Thank You for your clarification, excellent.

I suppose all I would need now is an example file to work off and to figure out how to actually 'install' the mycroft file I create into the search box.

Are you really into Mycroft? Any chance you or someone else can fire at me the magic URL(s) linking to the doco that help me start the ball rolling?

Thank You!
jigho

Post by jigho »

No, I'm not into Mycroft (but I'm pretty sure they won't blame me for my previous post...)

Since you want to develop a search-file, I think you should look in details the developers-how-to page :
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/deepdocs.html

Do not be afraid by all the options. the most important is the "action" one. the other ones are mainly for formatting the result, but can be skipped in a first approach. I am not really competent, I only give it a try or two some days ago...

Good luck !

Edit:

In fact, the search-files are stored in the "MozillaFirebird\searchplugins" directory. Some are already here (google, dmoz). Mycroft is mainly a database for other common search engine. You can duplicate one of the existing files and edit it according to your preferences, getting help from the link above.
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Hello again Jigho

Thanks again. This is excellent help and it's so refreshing to be able to join up on a forum and receive such kind help (unlike the abuse that I get on other forums, mostly because they're topic is emotional - Australian Rules football :).

Thank you graciously!
jigho

Post by jigho »

You're welcome.
just a last tip for you : a sample "yahoo.src" file that allow to search yahoo.com. This is just a sample, it is not as evolved as what you can find in Mycroft. Just copy this to a "yahoo.src" in the searchplugins directory, to give it a try :
# Search file for yahoo.com
#
# Only a test sample
#
# yahoo request for word "test" is :
# http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=test

<SEARCH
name="yahoo.com"
description = "yahoo.com"
method="GET"
# action = link up to the "?" in the normal yahoo request
action="http://search.yahoo.com/search"
>

# input = parameter which define the searched word
<INPUT NAME="p" user>

</SEARCH>

Then select the "yahoo" option in the search bar and it should work. This simple template you should be able to use for your own purpose
Last edited by jigho on August 7th, 2003, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Jigho!!!!!

Excellent! YOu answered another question without even hearing it... i.e. how do I get rid of the two search plugins I have added in trying to figure this out, but no longer want :)

Thanks again, brilliant.
eiseli

Post by eiseli »

Good job Jigho. I wouldn't have done it better myself. But well, one has to choose between visiting a city by 35°C and staying inside at the computer and answering forum posts :) ... I've chosen the former...
Get the most out of search: add 1000+ search engines to Mozilla and Firefox with <a href="http://mycroft.mozdev.org/">Mycroft</a>
jigho

Post by jigho »

Thanks, Master :angel:
I had no other choice than staying inside by 20°C while it is 53°C outside :silly: