Addons Manager Restyle

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Aris

Re: Addons Manager Restyle

Post by Aris »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
Aris wrote:Place old extensions.xml somewhere within your add-on/theme or on hdd and link to it.

Looks like the part of extensions.xml that actually does that work is <implementation> stuff which I do not think is allowed in a theme because it's JavaScript. It *might* pass review for SeaMonkey AMO but almost certainly not on Firefox AMO. It's going to require an extension to restore that on Firefox, and I haven't discussed this really with Philip or anyone, but once SeaMonkey is building again on Windows they might want to actually fix this. I know they like to do as little as possible with toolkit stuff since it's shared code but they might have to start doing their own thing with the addons manager.

Adding the untouched xml file from an older Fx version and leaving a comment to add-on reviewers what it is for and how it is used should be fine. It would be enough for me to grand full review, but I don't know how other (theme) reviewers think about it.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

The implementation part of this binding contains javascript. Themes are not allowed to run javascript at all...
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Aris wrote:Adding the untouched xml file from an older Fx version and leaving a comment to add-on reviewers what it is for and how it is used should be fine. It would be enough for me to grand full review, but I don't know how other (theme) reviewers think about it.

Nice solution and thanks for that. However, other reviewers will reject it if it's within a theme. They will pass it if it's in a .xpi within Type 32 multi package install of the very same theme, which is the usual irony of this nonsense.

I'm done with covering up silly dev decisions like this and, thanks, but I pass.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
Aris wrote:Place old extensions.xml somewhere within your add-on/theme or on hdd and link to it.

Looks like the part of extensions.xml that actually does that work is <implementation> stuff which I do not think is allowed in a theme because it's JavaScript. It *might* pass review for SeaMonkey AMO but almost certainly not on Firefox AMO. It's going to require an extension to restore that on Firefox, and I haven't discussed this really with Philip or anyone, but once SeaMonkey is building again on Windows they might want to actually fix this. I know they like to do as little as possible with toolkit stuff since it's shared code but they might have to start doing their own thing with the addons manager.

Need to talk to Neil about this but I certainly would like to see the addons manager fixed. With or without working windows builders. I don't know if Neil will agree or not but I'd like to see something like exalm's Old Extension Manager extension[1] incorporated into SeaMonkey.

Phil

[1] probably needs some updating. Is it based on something else done by you?

Phil
Aris

Post by Aris »

I've created a small add-on to restore the version number inside add-ons manager (Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey).

Add-ons Manager - Version Number
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/amversionnumber/

Seamonkey version was tested on Linux, because there currently are no Windows nightlies of Seamonkey.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Philip Chee wrote:[1] probably needs some updating. Is it based on something else done by you?

Phil

The CSS styles and bindings to rearrange things are from the stuff I did, and those are broken with the new layout. It's not terribly difficult to fix though.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Philip Chee wrote:Need to talk to Neil about this but I certainly would like to see the addons manager fixed. With or without working windows builders. I don't know if Neil will agree or not but I'd like to see something like exalm's Old Extension Manager extension[1] incorporated into SeaMonkey.
Phil
That extension was a very rushed and hacked work. It's very broken with the restyle, so I disabled it on AMO anyway. If SM would like something like that, I'd rather rewrite it. Or even fork the addon manager completely, to be safe from such "improvements", although it may be painful to maintain, depending on how actively they develop the backend.

Somewhat related: is it planned to override the new in-content UI theme?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I agree about a fork. At the minimum it seems like extensions.xbl and extensions.css need to be forked and for now the rest can be stock. Of course that doesn't get us to a popup, but it would at least fix the stupidity of the most recent changes.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I agree about a fork. At the minimum it seems like extensions.xbl and extensions.css need to be forked and for now the rest can be stock. Of course that doesn't get us to a popup, but it would at least fix the stupidity of the most recent changes.
A popup is actually very easy to implement without ever touching toolkit code. Open error console and evaluate this:

Code: Select all

window.openDialog("chrome://mozapps/content/extensions/extensions.xul", "", "all,dialog=no");

Voila! That doesn't mean that it looks any better than default though.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Aris wrote:I've created a small add-on to restore the version number inside add-ons manager (Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey)

Thanks Aris, just been subjected to this nonsense with 40b, seriously, what is wrong with these people... ](*,)
What's next, following their logic, removing version numbers at AMO ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Good question.

What does AMO look like in the mobile version of Firefox?

I find the tool tips work quite well for me in 40b on desktop.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

WLS wrote:Good question.

What does AMO look like in the mobile version of Firefox?

I find the tool tips work quite well for me in 40b on desktop.

So, the versions are hidden on the very bottom of addon pages.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

^^Yeah, or individually clicking 'more', both a poor substitutes for having everything 'in front of ones nose'...
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

mightyglydd wrote:^^Yeah, or individually clicking 'more', both a poor substitutes for having everything 'in front of ones nose'...
You mean "Read more"? Doesn't work for me, it only shows full description, still without version.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

No, here (Fx40b1)each addon has 'more' to the right, clicking shows extension and version number.
Last edited by mightyglydd on July 4th, 2015, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.