SeaMonkey Composer Suggestions

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
TheFallenOneGOTH

SeaMonkey Composer Suggestions

Post by TheFallenOneGOTH »

I am a fellow SeaMonkey user looking to create a few websites. SeaMonkey Composer seems like a good tool, but I spot a few things that could be changed or added:
1) Include support for CSS3 and HTML5 (according to the declaration type in source view, you only support HTML 4.01, CSS status unknow)
2) Include multiple tabs for editing CSS and JavaScript files (this could be handy for creating external stylesheets rather than implementing a style using <style> in all pages. JavaScript editor could be handy)
3) Syntax highlighting (would be nice to differentiate things such as tags and attributes)

I hope you take these suggestions into consideration, and I look forward to the next version of SeaMonkey. See you on the flip side!

TheFallenOneGOTH!
-Px-

Re: SeaMonkey Composer Suggestions

Post by -Px- »

There is no one working actively on Composer for years, so there are a lot of great ideas, but no chance for their implementation in foreseen future
XCLN

Post by XCLN »

Good to know - the one feature I'd really like is a simple way to enable drag and drop into the Seamonkey editor .. and a way to right click on an html file and have a choice to open in Seamonkey Composer (not Browser) Have an ugly batch file that sort of does this but would be so much better if could be done cleanly
Pim

Post by Pim »

XCLN wrote:(...) a way to right click on an html file and have a choice to open in Seamonkey Composer (not Browser) Have an ugly batch file that sort of does this but would be so much better if could be done cleanly

Which operating system? In Windows XP, it was done by editing the file type (Folder Options -> File Type, select HTML, click Advanced). Create a new action named edit, browse for the SeaMonkey executable and add -editor "%1" behind the pathname.

Not sure about later Windows systems; I have not bought new versions of Windows since.
Groetjes, Pim
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

Pim wrote:
XCLN wrote:(...) a way to right click on an html file and have a choice to open in Seamonkey Composer (not Browser) Have an ugly batch file that sort of does this but would be so much better if could be done cleanly

Which operating system? In Windows XP, it was done by editing the file type (Folder Options -> File Type, select HTML, click Advanced). Create a new action named edit, browse for the SeaMonkey executable and add -editor "%1" behind the pathname.

only possible to edit the HTM/HTML file type using WinXP & Win2003 that way.
For Windows Vista, 7 & higher use the Types freeware to edit File Types since the familiar file types feature that was in XP/2003 is not there in Vista/Win7/Win8x anymore. Also read the following to change file associations in newer versions of Windows:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-fi ... ns-windows
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

-Px- wrote:There is no one working actively on Composer for years, so there are a lot of great ideas, but no chance for their implementation in foreseen future

Px,

Yeah, really bad decisions IMO over the years. There were at least 3 attempts to go away from Composer with standalone HTML versions: NVU, Kompozer and BlueGriffin... all are now discontinued. Too bad these coders could not see their way clear to coming back to Composer and making it a 21st century app. (Blue Griffin was the latest of the bunch, but it was discontinued in 2013.)
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
XCLN

Post by XCLN »

Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated. There are a few other alternative editors I've tried, but I really like the simple straightforward Composer for simple edits. I use it together with the implied html editor from Fastmail, which is apparently open source and is both compact and clean if not full featured.
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

ndebord wrote:(Blue Griffin was the latest of the bunch, but it was discontinued in 2013.)

More like on hiatus than discontinued. There was recently work being done on BlueGriffon. See http://bluegriffon.org/index.php.
But then again, I may be wrong.
XCLN

Post by XCLN »

Thanks - took a look, indeed the latest edition is Dec 2014 BUT this is not a free version, the WYSIWIG is r/o until you pay and activate the hefty license ( $200 something). They are the authors of the previous nvu editor.
PageBreeze was the best of the bunch (free) I reviewed a few months ago.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

XCLN wrote:Thanks - took a look, indeed the latest edition is Dec 2014 BUT this is not a free version, the WYSIWIG is r/o until you pay and activate the hefty license ( $200 something).

I think the EPUB editor is not the same as the HTML editor...
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

If you're possibly interested in BlueGriffon HTML editor, you can download it at http://bluegriffon.org/pages/Download. The basic editor is free. The user manual and the add-ons can be purchased.
But then again, I may be wrong.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

XCLN wrote:Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated. There are a few other alternative editors I've tried, but I really like the simple straightforward Composer for simple edits. I use it together with the implied html editor from Fastmail, which is apparently open source and is both compact and clean if not full featured.

XCLN,

Implied html editor from FastMail? An online html editor if you have a Fastmail account, no?
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Andy Boze wrote:
ndebord wrote:(Blue Griffin was the latest of the bunch, but it was discontinued in 2013.)

More like on hiatus than discontinued. There was recently work being done on BlueGriffon. See http://bluegriffon.org/index.php.

Andy Boze,

That is good news. I see the post about addons costing extra, but that aside, good news!