Flash Player Won't Update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ortho_Fan

Flash Player Won't Update

Post by Ortho_Fan »

I'm not sure if this is related to Firefox 39.0, Flash Player, or Windows 7, but this morning I checked for Flash Player updates using -- http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

I have version 18.0.0.194 installed, and the latest version is 18.0.0.203.

As I've always done in the past--successfully--I clicked on the update jump, downloaded the installer, closed Firefox, opened the Windows download folder, right-clicked on the installation program, clicked "Unblock," double-clicked on the installation program, and clicked "Yes" for the program to make changes to Windows.

Instead of displaying the page, authorizing me to run the application, a box with a "script error on this page" message appears with the following:

Line: 202
Char: 13
Unable to set value of property 'innerHtml'.
Object is null or undefined.
Code: 0

I clicked "No" to do you want to continue running scripts on this page, closed out the application box, which simply said "unidentified." Firefox then opened automatically to a page informing me that "Adobe Flash Player could not be installed."

When I checked the downloads folder, the installer application had been deleted, or no longer appeared.

I tried it again, but clicked "Yes" to the continue running scripts on this page question with the same results.

All told, I've tried it about a dozen times--at one point I temporarily disabled my virus checker (Microsoft Security Essentials)--but it can't get past the script error notification.

---------------------------------------------

What I need to know is, was the error message, itself, generated by the server Adobe uses for it's updater, was it generated by the installation program, or was it generated by Windows. I assume it was not prompted by Firefox, since the application was closed at the time.

O.F.
LIMPET235

Re: Flash Player Won't Update

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I'm not sure where the error code came from....Probably Windows.

Why not do it the way I always do, with no probs? (I never use their "system" of updating.)

viz;...
This is the direct method which has always worked for me.
Go to, > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
& D/L the un-installer. (You can keep this file if you want.)
Go to, > http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... ndows.html
& scroll down a little to "Still having problems?" & D/L both (If needed), versions of Flash for your system.
*Important.*
Close all browsers & apps that use Flash because the "Un-installer" un-installs all Flash..

Run the un-installer.
Then run both installers.

Flash check site > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Many thanks for your reply. I'll probably do what you suggested in a few days, if the problem isn't resolved.

My big concern is that Windows may be causing the issue--possibly due to a recent security patch or other update. If that's the case, I might find myself in a situation where I either can't install the uninstaller--or if I can, and am able to successfully uninstall Flash Player, I might not be able to reinstall it.

OF
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

here is another webpage where you can download the "installers" for installing "flash player":

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html

i always uninstall "flash player" before installing a new version of "flash player"..
find answers at "Mozilla Support":
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

redwolfe_98 wrote:here is another webpage where you can download the "installers" for installing "flash player":

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html

i always uninstall "flash player" before installing a new version of "flash player"..

Many, many thanks! The full off-line installer worked, which leads me to believe that the problem is on Adobe's end, involving their update servers.

Ortho_Fan
Rick216

Post by Rick216 »

I've been trying to update to Flash 18.0.0.203 "the usual way" since last night, always encountering the same error as the OP. Finally gave up and used the standalone installer, which worked fine. Really, Flash can be a pain -- not to mention a malware magnet -- and now the annoyance extends to installation as well.

I was doubly surprised that I also encountered the same installation error in IE 10, and had to resort to the IE standalone installer as well.

Since I don't see legions of people reporting this problem, I wonder what it is that makes those like the OP and myself susceptible to the update error with 18.0.0.203? At least this way I don't have to see the Adobe dialog that hopes I'll forget to untick the McAfee and Chrome install boxes. I've always wondered if people who leave the default "install updates automatically" unchanged end up with surprise installations of McAfee or Chrome? Windows 7.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I was doubly surprised that I also encountered the same installation error in IE 10, and had to resort to the IE standalone installer as well.

Since I don't see legions of people reporting this problem, I wonder what it is that makes those like the OP and myself susceptible to the update error with 18.0.0.203?

With respect to our issues with IE10 ... some time ago I also had issues with both Firefox and IE following an uninstall/download and an install of Flash... even doing that... FF and IE crashed... then I start using all the steps in the uninstall doc... including removing files... seems that if some old ones are left over it/they cause crashes.
...and as you can see from the following stuff... I also use the Adobe site for getting my files as redwolfe_98 ... and so do many others around here.....

Since using the info in these links I've had no problems. Note step 3 in the 1st doc. Also, I get my Flash from the last link... cleaner to work with.

Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe

...and as for legions ... yet... there are... and it's always been going on with all versions of Flash.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Yeah, for some time now I always manually uninstall the current version from Windows 7's Programs and Features and manually install the stand alone installer from https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html with Firefox closed. Never had an issue since doing that.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

That's what I used to do... and to be honest about it... I don't always remove the files noted in the uninstall link that I posted...

Code: Select all

Copy and paste the following and click OK. C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

Delete all the files in this folder.

Follow step 1 to step 3 for the following:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
%appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player

When Flash started crashing in Firefox and IE I deleted the stuff above... and once I did that I've never had an issue... except for the normal Flash junk that happens at times.
Rick216

Post by Rick216 »

Thanks for all the helpful info. I'll have to keep it in mind, especially for the next time I start having a run of Flash-related crashes.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You're Welcome! :D
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Rick:

And thank YOU for posting. I guess it's a case of "misery loves company," but I always feel better when I know that I'm not the only person on the face of the earth that's had a problem like this. (Actually, I've spotted one other post on the Adobe forum that came up yesterday where someone reported getting the "object is null or undefined" error when attempting to update Flash Player.)

I'm bookmarking this string to use the next time I update Flash Player.

Ortho_Fan
Fan of Orthophonic Victrolas
(If it hasn't got a crank sticking out the side of the cabinet, I won't be able to figure it out.)
Rick216

Post by Rick216 »

Ortho_Fan -

You're welcome, and I know exactly what you mean regarding the "misery loves company" angle! I had honestly thought that this was going to turn out to be a widespread problem with the new install files, and that a revised installer would be released quickly.

Rick
Rick216

Post by Rick216 »

An update: Today an Adobe staff member posted:

"The online installer team has investigated this further and identified the DPI setting as the culprit. If the DPI setting is not set to 100%, 125%, 150%, or 200% the script error will return. If you're DPI setting is set to something else, please set it to one of these and the online installer should work. The team is working on a fix for this."

That explains it for me, as I have my Windows 7 DPI set to 121%.

The comment is in post 23 at
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1896664
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

Rick216 wrote:An update: Today an Adobe staff member posted:

"The online installer team has investigated this further and identified the DPI setting as the culprit. If the DPI setting is not set to 100%, 125%, 150%, or 200% the script error will return. ...

Sorry for the late reply, but many thanks for noting this! As it turns out, my Windows DPI is set to 140%, which is the perfect setting for my myopia--something I have no intention of changing.

Using the instructions above about the off-line installers works great, so I'll stick with that.

Again, thanks.

Ortho_Fan