OpenH264 plugin

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
JohnyWalkyra

OpenH264 plugin

Post by JohnyWalkyra »

Hello,

is there any way, how can I install the OpenH264 plugin into Seamonkey? I am running Seamonkey 2.33.1 on 64bit Ubuntu 14.10. I have also Firefox installed with OpenH264 plugin working perfectly. Could anybody give any hints?

Thanks a lot,

JW
patrickjdempsey

Re: OpenH264 plugin

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That plugin is only for WebRTC and I do not believe there is any plan for SeaMonkey to directly support WebRTC. It's actually kind of a shame that Mozilla isn't implementing this for HTML5 video, because their support for h264 via OS codecs is a complete disaster.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

patrickjdempsey wrote:That plugin is only for WebRTC and I do not believe there is any plan for SeaMonkey to directly support WebRTC. It's actually kind of a shame that Mozilla isn't implementing this for HTML5 video, because their support for h264 via OS codecs is a complete disaster.

I wanted to ask the same question as OP. Too bad
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

According to bug 956854, the backend is implemented (or, inherited from the common core code), but SeaMonkey is missing some UI pieces to manage permissions. You can try the workaround mentioned in the opening description to disable the permissions, but this may have privacy implications as you can't control which website can access your camera and microphone.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Well, the OpenH264 plugin isn't bundled with SeaMonkey, that's obviously a problem. Firefox installs it in the users profile in a "gmp-gmpopenh264" folder, but I would be surprised if it works out of the box just copying that folder into your SeaMonkey profile...
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

rsx11m wrote:Well, the OpenH264 plugin isn't bundled with SeaMonkey, that's obviously a problem. Firefox installs it in the users profile in a "gmp-gmpopenh264" folder, but I would be surprised if it works out of the box just copying that folder into your SeaMonkey profile...
We could copy the Firefox UI, but first we need to find out where that UI lives.

Phil