Html coding to merge websites?

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
Max Brennen

Html coding to merge websites?

Post by Max Brennen »

Hello all,

I'm not really sure where this would fall under, because it is less browser related I guess and more search engine related. Nevertheless, I figured that people in this forum would have an answer for me. Has anyone heard about html coding that allows you to merge multiple web domians into essentially one website? Like if you have a .com, .de, .co so that the website caters to each domain demographic, particularly regarding language requirements? It just seems like there should be a way for all of these domains to be seen as the same website (merely specialized avenues of the same site). Is this at all possible?

I appreciate any help or insights.
Max Brennen

Re: Html coding to merge websites?

Post by Max Brennen »

Ok, so I found something. You first set up domains in whatever language you want with a ccTLD (country code top level domain) and then you use the Hreflang HTML annotation on your website to associate all of the additional domains to a primary landing page, which is identified by an x-default HTML markup.

Fantastic, I have the information....now what do I do with it? lol. I love how some websites and forums give you all of this information like it is so plain and simple. How do I actually implement these steps? Anyone?
jscher2000

Re: Html coding to merge websites?

Post by jscher2000 »

Are you aware of a company that does it the way you like? For example, with Google, your search will get redirected to a completely different site depending on geolocation, unless you override it. I think it generally is easier to bring all visitors to one site and use the country domain as input so that the site renders correctly. In other words, example.de => example.com/de/