Updated to 38.1.0 and now my e-mails have no content

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TomGalvin

Updated to 38.1.0 and now my e-mails have no content

Post by TomGalvin »

I can see the content in the preview pane, but when I doubleclick to open they are blank whether I chose to view html or plain text, even in safe mode. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Any ideas?
tanstaafl

Re: Updated to 38.1.0 and now my e-mails have no content

Post by tanstaafl »

It shouldn't make a difference whether or not you read a message using the message preview pane, a tab, or a window. Try some of the suggestions in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working such as exiting Thunderbird, deleting the localstore.rdf file (it stores the toolbar, window layout and size/position settings) in the profile, and restarting. Thunderbird will create a new version of that file with default settings. So you'll need to customize your toolbar again etc.
badboy23

Post by badboy23 »

i too am having many problems with the new build. spell check window black, while typing in reply box, letters disappear, accounts disappear. the problems resolve themselves in time but, a pain, i need to pass over with my cursor to reveal the lost accounts, the spell check box and the content in an email. any ideas what's up? thanks. i do not have any of these problems with other programs and none before the upgrade to 38.1....
ipsecog

Post by ipsecog »

I had the same problem, extremely annoying, black areas showing up, composition not working, etc.

Fortunately, the fix mentioned by tanstaafl above works perfectly: delete (or move) localstore.rdf in your profile directory, and all is back to normal.
ipsecog

Post by ipsecog »

Hm, that only solved it temporarily (so, I suspect localstore.rdf had nothing to do with it, because actually this file is not rewritten by TB 38).
Any ideas? In the composition view, the cursor will backtrace itself, hiding the last written character(s), and then jump forward again, some emails just display as a big black area, some glitches in the folder view (mouse over restores the screen elements), and so on. There was an old bug in 2010 sometime about Silverlight, related (I did a lot Win updates lately...), perhaps?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Localstore.rdf should be rewritten (recreated) under version 38.1. If it's not, you may need to reinstall Thunderbird. Before doing that, however...

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in TB? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1012145
ipsecog

Post by ipsecog »

Thanks for answering. I checked my entire C:\Users\<username> for localstore* (after closing down TB), and no file can be found. Seems strange a reinstall would "fix" that, either TB writes the file or not on closedown, regardless of whether I have a fresh install or not, or?

Anyway, the problems are intermittent, so yes hardware acceleration may indeed be a key here. I have disabled according to instructions, will test and report.
ipsecog

Post by ipsecog »

Turning off hw acceleration seems to work
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

ipsecog, please post the graphics section from help | troubleshooting.
THanks
TomGalvin

Post by TomGalvin »

The 38.2.0 patch fixed the issue for me.