[ext/dev] SeaTab-X-2 - Firefox tab closers in SeaMonkey

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrwislr

Re: [ext/dev] SeaTab-X-2 - Firefox tab closers in SeaMonkey

Post by mrwislr »

Great extension, I was wondering though in future updates whether it would be possible to 'retain' the user's predefined settings in 'about:config' such as 'browser.tabs.closeButtons'

thanks
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The only setting for browser.tabs.closeButtons that SeaTabX2 does not honor is 3. If you want setting 3 you should just disable or uninstall the extension. The extension does not change any settings by itself.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Bug in SeaTab-X-2 0.3.2: on closer hover, tab closers disappear and tab bar height jumps in SeaMonkey 2.32.1 (default theme) / Mac OS X.
SeaTab-X-2 0.3.1 + the following user style does not have that effect.

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

@-moz-document url("chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul") {

/* SeaTab-X-2 hides the builtin tab close button, putting the 'list all tabs'
 * button too close to the window edge .......*/
[anonid="alltabs-button"] {
  padding-right: 5px;
}

/* restore builtin close button....
[anonid="tabstrip-closebutton"] {
  display: inherit !important;
}
...*/

/* Get rid of the awkward blank space to the right of the tab close button .....*/
.tab-close-button > *:not(.toolbarbutton-icon) {
  display: none !important;
}

/* show close button when only one tab is open.......*/
#content[browsertabsclosebuttons="1"] .tabbrowser-tab:first-of-type:last-of-type:not(:hover) .tab-close-button {
  opacity: 0.85 !important;
}

/* Make sure tab title text uses up entire tab when we don't show the closer.......*/
#content:not([browsertabsclosebuttons="2"]):not([browsertabsclosebuttons="1"]) .tabbrowser-tab:first-of-type:last-of-type:not(:hover) .tab-close-button:not(:hover),
#content:not([browsertabsclosebuttons="2"]):not([browsertabsclosebuttons="1"]) .tabbrowser-tab:first-of-type:last-of-type:not(:hover) .tab-close-button:not(:hover) * {
  width:0px ;
  margin-right:0px !important;
  margin-left:0px !important;
}

}
patrickjdempsey

Thanks. Bug is known. It's because I attempted to use the new(-ish) Firefox .close-icon class. I actually pushed for Mozilla to switch to a global .closer class many many years ago and they finally decided to start supporting it recently. If it properly worked, this class would allow for SeaMonkey themes to just use the global styles... but in fails in the default theme as well as others because there are inheritance failures. Ideally, this class means SeaTabX2 should be able to git rid of providing it's own styling for the tab closers... but considering that most SeaMonkey themes barely support versions of SeaMonkey from 5 years ago, it's not likely that any new SeaMonkey themes will appropriately support this new class. So unhappily I'll be removing the class from the next version of SeaTabX2.... even though it's something I've personally been advocating for a long long time.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this but just wanted to say SeaTab-X-2 0.3.3 is working very well for me, my custom user style of SeaTab-X-2 tweaks has shrunk considerably with this update.

Thanks again patrickjdempsey :D
patrickjdempsey

Good! Now if I can just convince AMO to remove that review that lists 10 miles of unnecessary CSS code from my page!
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Good! Now if I can just convince AMO to remove that review that lists 10 miles of unnecessary CSS code from my page!
Flag it and say support issues are not appropriate for review comments. This usually works for me.

Phil
patrickjdempsey

I'll try again. They are usually pretty good about removing those kinds of comments without me even asking... have gotten several emails about long comments that were already deleted when I went to look at them.
truffle

Post by truffle »

Hi Patrick, I'm dealing with an issue on SeaTab-X-2 that Is quite difficult to explain and, probably, reproduce.
It is quite some time I've been experiencing it but I never got around testing it thoroughly before just now. Reading the post from barbaz I think it may be related in some way, but it is a wild guess.

Basically, what happens is that when one or more tabs have pages in them that are in a loading state, the focus area for the X button of all tabs is no longer aligned with the graphic, but rather moved more or less beside the left top corner of each X button. This results in a non functioning click on the graphic, but a functioning click just outside the graphic, around the top left.

It is tricky to reproduce because depending on how much the loading of a page or pages takes, the "clickability" of a button within the boundaries of its graphic may or may not become altered. It also may be dependent on the performance of the machine.

What I did to test it consistently was launch 5-6 links from a fairly heavy site (like most on line newspapers' websites) and try to close the tabs by clicking the respective X buttons before the various tabs finished loading.
There is a small window at the beginning and at the end of the loading period when the issue seems to be less consistent, but it may be just a misguided feeling.

Of course, I have tried this on the latest SM version with a clean profile and only SeaTab-X-2.

I would imagine the issue to be already known, but it could also be something that happens to me only.
In any case, let me know if you need more info to help me troubleshoot this.

Bye
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
patrickjdempsey

Sounds like you are having a Linux Theme issue to me. I don't run any flavor of Linux (and never have) so I cannot really test or provide answers to Linux issues. It's likely something to do with the tab "throbber"... which if I am not mistaken is pulled from the window manager in the Default theme? So it could just be a problem specific to your window manager. I'm not sure how to suggest you proceed, other than perhaps trying a complete theme other than the default?
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:It's likely something to do with the tab "throbber"... which if I am not mistaken is pulled from the window manager in the Default theme?
That's called "GTK theme", and no, it's just a GIF image (APNG in Firefox). Actually it's exactly same as in Modern.
patrickjdempsey

OK. Not sure what else it could be. It's possible that it's inheriting some styling somewhere. Can you reproduce this issue Exalm?
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

patrickjdempsey wrote:OK. Not sure what else it could be. It's possible that it's inheriting some styling somewhere. Can you reproduce this issue Exalm?
Haven't tried, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
truffle

Post by truffle »

Thank you guys for the insight.

Based on your comments, I went ahead and tried a bunch of themes to see how they fared and a few of them didn't have the problem.
Among the few I tried, "Little Monkey", "Nautipolis" and Exalm's own "GNOMERunner/GTK Revived" (and freedesktop) worked as expected.

The most significant difference I noticed is that these three/four themes use different graphics for the throbber and X button from the other ones (by the way "Classic Firǝfox", "Early Blue", "Firefox 3" and "Orthodox") and the default theme.

In addition to what I said in my earlier post, I noticed that while hovering on the X button (on the themes where the problem exists) there seems to be a shifting or snapping, for lack of better words, of the cursor, which "disappears" and reappears outside of the button as if "snapped" like in how windows on some desktops snap to their borders when moved close to each other.

Anyway, let me know if I can conduct some other test.

Bye
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

GNOMErunner specifically supports this addon (and uses exactly the same close button styling as Linux version of Firefox 3), so of course everything is correct there. :D

Anyway, I can't reproduce it on Default. See: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/367 ... ng-bug.gif

^Seems I have forgotten to switch useragent back to default on my phone. Shame on me for making desktop Fx38 more popular that it really is.