[ext/dev] SeaTab-X-2 - Firefox tab closers in SeaMonkey

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
truffle

Re: [ext/dev] SeaTab-X-2 - Firefox tab closers in SeaMonkey

Post by truffle »

It is tricky to reproduce, I think because the actual timeframe during which the misalignment occurs is not so clear and easy to identify.
As I said in the first post, it seems like there is a small window, that I think is at the beginning and at the end of the loading phase but I might be wrong, during which the misalignment doesn't occur.

Your test, while obviously showing that the problem doesn't occur on your setup, could also be misleading.
I have been able on occasions to hit the button successfully just like you did, a few times even while trying to capture the example below.
Of course it may just be that the problem only occurs on my system.

Anyway, I was able to capture a fair example of the issue, where you can see not only how by clicking the X button I raise the tabs rather than close them, but also how I can close the tabs by clicking just outside the X.
On top of that, as an example of what I was telling you, towards the end you can see how in closing the "Alex Chiasson" tab, I am able to do it by clicking on the X button even if it is still loading.

I hope this helps.
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Tried the second time, this time on a completely clean profile and with mouse instead of touchpad, and I still cannot do that. I click a bit to the left of the close button and focus the tab, click the button itself and close it. Could you try it on a clean profile?
truffle

Post by truffle »

I tried it on a new profile already.
The screen capture was on my regular setup but the results are exactly the same.

I'm gonna try on a different machine as soon as I can.

It is puzzling though, if it just on my setup, what could the cause be?

Thanks so far. ;)
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Hmm. Maybe it's something to do with video drivers? Or maybe cursor theme having cursor offset to the left.
Just to be sure, try also with other GTK themes. Adwaita is perhaps not too well tested on GTK2, since it's just considered a "fallback" for those_apps_that_had_not_been_updated_for_the_almighty_gnome_3. I doubt that that's the reason though, since those close buttons do not use native theming.
So, no ideas now. That's a very weird bug.
Let me check Adwaita cursors, since it's the most likely cause of the issue now.

Edit: Hmm, for some reason, when it's loading, it shows default X11 cursors for me, perhaps because I'm on MATE, and not GNOME.
But that seems very likely for me now. You can only reproduce the issue when the cursor is in loading state (cursor: progress;). Perhaps the loading state is shifted to the top-left, so that it 's still centered while the loading wheel is added on the bottom right side.
I will download a GNOME 3 image and check in VirtualBox now.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Okay, I've tested it. The answer is indeed the Adwaita cursor theme:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/367 ... ursors.gif
See how the cursor jumps when switching between default and process states.
That's why it only happens during the loading time and doesn't happen to me. So, you should file a bug into GNOME bugzilla and hope they don't WONTFIX it saying it was by design. ;)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Thanks for looking into that Exalm. Hopefully that squares it! Sounds like the busy pointer icon is larger or smaller than the normal pointer.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
truffle

Post by truffle »

Thank you Exalm for going to such great length to help, much appreciated.

I think you have definitely found a bug in the Adwaita cursor theme and this might just be the issue here, there is one thing though that doesn't add up.
Why does it work fine on some themes?

Now that you have identified the misalignment is on the cursor, it has been easier for me to observe what happens. The "snapping" I was talking about was exactly that, the change of state from pointer to progress.
Changing cursor theme obviously fixes the problem I was having, but doesn't explain why on other SM themes the Adwaita cursor set still works ok.

I have noticed the "snapping" on those themes as well, and the fact that on them the clicking still works ok, makes me suspect that while the cursor set is obviously a factor, this issue might have underlined another issue in Seamonkey, namely the way it "registers" clicks on tab buttons depending on the cursor state and the theme in use.

Could it be that on certain themes the actual click is registered according to the position of the cursor in the progress state while in other themes it is registered in the position of the cursor in the pointer state?

These positions are obviously identical when the cursor in the icon set are aligned with one another, but when the icons are not aligned, like in the Adwaita set, if the click is registered while on progress state or on the pointer state depending on the SM theme in use, clicking on the X button might result in a miss or a hit respectively.

What do you guys think about this?

Shouldn't the misalignment in the icon set produce this issue on every app, browser or not, regardless of different themes and different button icons?
patrickjdempsey

I think you are over-thinking the problem. ;) In development lingo the area of a button that is clickable is called the "click target". The click target is often an invisible box around a button, not constrained to the visible icon itself.

So if this is the button icon:
x

This is the click target, representing the invisible parts of the button:
[x]

Most SeaMonkey themes do not offer up custom close-buttons, but they may be forcing padding on the inside of all buttons, which makes the click target larger without making the icon look bigger:
[ x ]

So when you have a situation where a cursor pointer doesn't properly line up with the graphic of the cursor, it's much easier to *accidentally* hit a padded-out click target than a smaller one.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
truffle

Post by truffle »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I think you are over-thinking the problem. ;)

Yeah you're right. :D

Indeed after some more testing and observations I have noticed how even on those themes where I said the issue didn't occur, there still is the same kind of misalignment that, as per your explanation, only makes it harder for the issue to be experienced, but it doesn't fix it.

Thank you both for the assistance. :)
cuppettcj

Post by cuppettcj »

Hello Patrick,

Do you know why I get warned that SeaTab-X-2 0.3.3 is " Image Not available for SeaMonkey 2.39 "? When I click on the question mark next to the warning, it says:
This add-on is not compatible with your version of SeaMonkey because of the following:
  • You need to be using Firefox 10.0 or higher.
patrickjdempsey

cuppettcj wrote:Do you know why I get warned that SeaTab-X-2 0.3.3 is " Image Not available for SeaMonkey 2.39 "?
Yes, that is my fault. Sorry. I just version bumped it. Should be good for everyone up through 2.42 to install now.

cuppettcj wrote:When I click on the question mark next to the warning, it says:
I'm not claiming guilt for that one... AMO has many weird bugs when it comes to handling either SeaMonkey or Thunderbird. Unfortunately, Mozilla developers aren't very committed to making sure things run smoothly for anything but Firefox.
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Does this need a version bump for it to work with 2.46?

Will it work with https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... r/?src=api?

Ahh....even though it said I needed Firefox 10 or above to install it, I installed it anyway and it works just fine and works with vertical tabs extension.