Displaying Home toolbar button's text

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Crash2100

Displaying Home toolbar button's text

Post by Crash2100 »

When I try to display the "Home" page button in the Personal Toolbar, it displays the icon and works correctly, but it only shows text as "Ho..." The Icon works, I just want to know how I can get this to work correctly and display the whole "Home" button. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Exalm

Re: Displaying Home toolbar button's text

Post by Exalm »

What SeaMonkey version do you use? If it's really SeaMonkey 2.0.14, as your useragent says, try updating to 2.33.1, or upcoming 2.35.
Crash2100

Post by Crash2100 »

It's actually SeaMonkey/2.6.1, I just upgraded SeaMonkey.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Crash2100 wrote:It's actually SeaMonkey/2.6.1, I just upgraded SeaMonkey.

It's still outdated (with many security holes). Numbers "2.6.1" should be read as "2.06.01". I mean "2.33.1" is higher in software numeration.

There:
http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/moz ... 3.1/win32/
Find your language version, download and install.
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

As TPR75 mentioned, it's still not the latest version.

Anyway, does the bug persist if you resize the window? How much bookmarks do you have in the Personal Toolbar? They should just overflow to the right instead of ellipsizing the buttons on the left size, but who knows...
That's most probably some extension going crazy. Could you post a screenshot or the issue?
Crash2100

Post by Crash2100 »

No, there is plenty of room on the menu, it even has about two inches of unused space at the end. Oddly, this has happened through several versions of SeaMonkey that I have used. It's also strange because the Home button works fine if I customize the menu and uncheck "Show text besides icon", it just looses two letters in the "Home" text when the open is rechecked.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Exalm wrote:
As TPR75 mentioned, it's still not the latest version.

Crash2100 is running Windows XP, which - after a certain Gecko version - only works if at least SP2 is installed (that became effective with SeaMonkey 2.10, if I remember correctly; I would be surprised if the update server recognizes that, but maybe it's smart enough not to update to a version which is no longer supported for the target system).

Crash2100 wrote:It's also strange because the Home button works fine if I customize the menu and uncheck "Show text besides icon", it just looses two letters in the "Home" text when the open is rechecked.

This may be a font issue (e.g., the font is wider than anticipated and thus the box reserved for that button is not wide enough for the string). If you right-click on the Windows XP desktop and select "Display" from the menu, you should be able to get to the desktop theme and font settings. Save the current theme under a new name so that you can get back to the point where you left. Either pick a different desktop theme and see if it fixes the issue, or modify the font settings for dialogs (which I think the application fonts are taken from). If neither fixes it, revert to the previously saved theme and you are back where you started from.
amrad

Post by amrad »

rsx11m wrote:Crash2100 is running Windows XP, which - after a certain Gecko version - only works if at least SP2 is installed...

In his first post, his UA is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14

And in his second post it is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20111221 Firefox/9.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.6.1

So we need to know in which version of Windows he is experiencing the problem: Windows XP or Windows Vista/7 - or both!

Regards,

Dave.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

True, thanks for pointing this out.
amrad

Post by amrad »

You're welcome.

Regards,

Dave.
Crash2100

Post by Crash2100 »

Sorry, it is XP with SP3, I may have used another computer for the reply, so this happens in Windows 7 too.
It only displays "Home" if I use the Text only option, or disable the "Show Text Beside Icon"

And, if anything the SeaMonkey.exe version is 2.6.1.

I did try installing SeaMonkey 2.33.1 with Win 7, and that does show the icon and text correctly, but I can't find a Classic theme for SeaMonkey. The 2.33.1 version had one that looks like the original Mozilla/Netscape 4.7 setup.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Ok, so this looks increasingly like an issue with that custom theme that you are using, given that everything works with the default themes. You can contact the theme author to check what may need to be fixed, but if he/she didn't update that theme since 2.6.1 it may be dormant.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

So first off: your original problem is likely because SM 2.6.1 was an incredibly ancient version and the third-party theme you were using was no longer really compatible with it, even though it would install. This is understandable as theme authors don't really bother to do backwards compatibility testing going back 4 years ago.

Secondly, the vast majority of the themes available for SeaMonkey are "retro" themes based on old versions of Mozilla/Netscape: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... te-themes/

I believe the one you are looking for is Orthodox, which is marked as compatible with new versions despite not being updated for several years now. Not that the SeaMonkey interface has changed hardly at all since then.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Exalm

Post by Exalm »

Crash2100 wrote:Sorry, it is XP with SP3, I may have used another computer for the reply, so this happens in Windows 7 too.
It only displays "Home" if I use the Text only option, or disable the "Show Text Beside Icon"

I did try installing SeaMonkey 2.33.1 with Win 7, and that does show the icon and text correctly, but I can't find a Classic theme for SeaMonkey. The 2.33.1 version had one that looks like the original Mozilla/Netscape 4.7 setup.
Do you mean this theme?

The only maintained NS 4.x/Mozilla 1.x/SM 1.x theme at the moment is Orthodox, even though it's far from perfect. I'll probably make my own one at some point.

Edit: Oh, no, I thought it was maintained. At least it mostly works. (there are some problems on Nightly, but it should be better on 2.33.1.)
Crash2100

Post by Crash2100 »

Exalm wrote:
Crash2100 wrote:Sorry, it is XP with SP3, I may have used another computer for the reply, so this happens in Windows 7 too.

Do you mean this theme?

The only maintained NS 4.x/Mozilla 1.x/SM 1.x theme at the moment is Orthodox, even though it's far from perfect. I'll probably make my own one at some point.

Edit: Oh, no, I thought it was maintained. At least it mostly works. (there are some problems on Nightly, but it should be better on 2.33.1.)
Yes it is Classic Default 0.8 theme. The only problem I've had with the Classic Default theme is the "Home" button and Print button in mail. Maybe I'll give Orthodox a try.