Is it possible to group messages by part of mail body?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
jakubdb

Is it possible to group messages by part of mail body?

Post by jakubdb »

Hi!

We are using Thunderbird to catch all errors sent by mail, from our application. In every mail, we have backtraces, and other info. One part of mail body is unique number (for example ID:1234).

My question is - can Thunderbird (or any TB plugin) group messages by this ID in mail body (for example group in threads)?
DanRaisch

Re: Is it possible to group messages by part of mail body?

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
jakubdb

Post by jakubdb »

I'm using POP3. But if my problem can be solved only in IMAP account, I have no problem switching to IMAP.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, actually searching in or filtering on elements in the message body with an IMAP account is more problematic because the data is actually on the server until each message is opened for viewing.

What you might try is using menu path Edit->Find->Search Message->select "Body"+"Contains"+"ID:1234" and then clicking on the "Search" button. you can then save the results to a "Search Folder" (a virtual folder) and use the regular View tools including "Sort" and "Group by Sort".
jakubdb

Post by jakubdb »

DanRaisch wrote:No, actually searching in or filtering on elements in the message body with an IMAP account is more problematic because the data is actually on the server until each message is opened for viewing.

What you might try is using menu path Edit->Find->Search Message->select "Body"+"Contains"+"ID:1234" and then clicking on the "Search" button. you can then save the results to a "Search Folder" (a virtual folder) and use the regular View tools including "Sort" and "Group by Sort".

That's a shame. Yes, it will work like that, but this ID is not always same. This ID is PHP PID, where the problem occurs. I want to automatically group messages, that comes from same PID, so in folder I might see groups of error messages, that indicates multiple messages for one "problem". For example, if there is a problem with paying for order, we recieve emails from order subsystem, online paying abstract subsystem, then PayPal subsystem and other parts, that indicates same problem.

If is not possible, never mind. But is it possible to create plugin, that will do this? I'm a developer so I can create it.

Thanks for your replies.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

These sites might be helpful to you -- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Thunderbird and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Getting_start ... evelopment

But have you tried the Saved Search approach? It's not clear to me why you feel the process you describe can not be accomplished using that procedure.
jakubdb

Post by jakubdb »

DanRaisch wrote:These sites might be helpful to you -- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Thunderbird and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Getting_start ... evelopment

But have you tried the Saved Search approach? It's not clear to me why you feel the process you describe can not be accomplished using that procedure.

No, I didn't tried it yet, because I don't want to do this search procedure manually. I want to open mail folder and see groups of "problems" (message groups, grouped by ID in message body). Saved search will only trigger a search with predefined conditions. I don't want to create a saved search for every problem (messages with same process ID).